The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 28, 2020, 11:54 PM   #26
stormyone

The Dancing Pony mesmerizes many.
Old January 29, 2020, 08:01 PM   #27
BurningAmmo

This is an excellent comparison of a new and Old (1982) Python.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NiNrqhFNos
Old January 29, 2020, 09:49 PM   #28
libiglou

I've always liked the look of the python. Back in my younger years a friend of mind decided to run away from the cops because he was drunk and speeding. Well they yanked his permit and he had to sell his guns. He called me offering me a 4 inch royal blue hardly fired python for $200. Being a college student with limited funds I passed plus I had just recently bought a SW 686. I still regret that decision and always wanted a python but could not justify the crazy money they were asking. Bottom line: If and when they come out with a blued version I'm getting one. They are just too pretty for me and life is too short.
Old January 29, 2020, 10:23 PM   #29
larryf1952

I got into handguns big time back in 1973. As my collection slowly grew, I came to lust after a Python, just like everybody else. But, they were crazy expensive for the time and I knew I'd probably never own one.

Then comes 1993, and fate opened up the opportunity for me to purchase a near mint 1978 blued Python for $350. I jumped at the chance. I remember taking the Python home that night and just looking at it on my lap, not being able to believe that I finally had a real Python.

When Colt discontinued the gun, I remember being amazed at how the prices for Pythons began to quickly creep up. At some point, I stopped shooting it, afraid that I might drop it, or damage it, or break it and it couldn't be repaired. I finally realized that I had this gun that was worth $2K in my safe, but, unless I sold it, it wasn't worth a hill of beans to me.

So, the Python that I had thought about and coveted for so long and finally had been able to own, went away.

I'd still like to have my '78 Python. But, it wouldn't make much sense. As for the new one, I think they'll be a great gun when Colt figures out how to make them work 100%. And, they will. With CNC machine tools and strengthening in a few critical places, I think that they're ultimately as good as, if not better than the old Pythons, hand fitting be damned.

I've still got 2 GP100's and a 686-3. Personally, I think that Colt has built a great $900 revolver that a lot of people are willing to pay $1500 for. But, 40 years from now...if private firearms ownership hasn't become a faded memory...I think folks will be looking at the new Python with the same regard that we now look at the originals.
Old January 29, 2020, 10:41 PM   #30
BurningAmmo

I couldn't agree with you more Larry. One more trip for me and a new Python.
Old January 31, 2020, 11:08 PM   #31
AustinTX

Quote:
A friend is fond of telling me to look at those $2-3000 Pythons and see they are not "moving". $12-1500 ones are.

Sure, every once in a while some gullible person buys one, but as a rule they just sit while the ones with lower asking prices get snapped up fairly quickly.
Your friend doesn’t have it quite right. There is plenty of movement for particularly collectible Pythons, and at well north of $3,000. But there are also plenty of people who think their regular 1980s 6” blued Python with some finish wear should fetch a similar price to a high-condition 1950s or 1960s example. Those are the ones that sit and clog up GB endlessly.

Last edited by AustinTX; February 1, 2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old February 2, 2020, 11:05 AM   #32
603Country

Back in the 80’s I had a High Standard 22 revolver and a MkV Colt Trooper. Sold them both to buy what I wanted, which was a Colt Diamondback 22 with a 4” barrel and a Python with a 4” barrel. Both were in Nickel. Paid about $350 or so for each, and still have them and don’t plan to ever sell them. The grandkids and visitors love shooting the Python, and part of that joy is certainly due to the Walking Dead. They want their picture holding and shooting it.

After owning and shooting it for about 40 years, I worried about damage, so I bought a S&W 686+ to take on the shooting load. It was not as smooth as the Python, nor finished as well, but still a nice revolver. I had a gunsmith smooth out the SA and DA to a degree equal to the Python. The 686 took a little getting used to, but now I think I shoot it a bit better in DA than I do the Python.

Had I known that Colt was bringing back revolvers, I would have waited for the Cobra or Python, but then I would have missed out on that terrific shooting 686.
Old February 3, 2020, 01:40 AM   #33
Sgt127

I’ve owned a bunch of Pythons. I still have one nickel Python left. The trigger on a Python never really did it for me. I prefer the Smith trigger.

That said, the new Python looks like a Python. That was always the selling point. It was, and is, a beautiful revolver.

If you’re just gonna hang it on a wall, a print of a Monet is just as good as an original at a fraction of the cost. The comparison doesn’t work with the Python. (Ignoring possible teething problems from a new release) I think the new Python may turn out to be a mechanically superior firearm than the original. And, it still looks like a Python.

I’ve always thought they looks and lines were fantastic. I’ll likely get one.

For pure use, if it rivals the 686, it should be a great gun. Without that dang hole in the side.

But, some folks will still want an original. Good for them. I’m not planning on getting rid of the one I have.
Old October 29, 2021, 01:37 PM   #34
HenryT

My take on vintage Pythons

The new ones might perform the same, or even better than the vintage Pythons, but as gun fanatics we are all a bit snobbish when it comes to high-end sidearms. I'll give my thoughts, and I'm sure a lot of folks here will agree.

The old saying that "they just don't build them like they used to" .... has a lot of truth in it. At today's labor cost and diminishing skill set, and the material selection for the SS pythons for today's production, very limited gunsmith craftsmanship is involved. Consequently, to me there is a big difference. The Royal blue displayed from the vintage Python is the hallmark that can never be replicated with stainless steel. So the current production pythons are just PINOS (Pythons in name only). The big difference in price between the old and the new is dictated by demand and supply. New ones are cheaper because it is in production, and although the inventory is in short supply, production will eventually catch up. However, they just don't make the old ones and that is why the price keep appreciating.
Old October 29, 2021, 07:17 PM   #35
HiBC

I've never even fired one. Good looking handgun.
On " hand fitting" Highly skilled folks can do amazing things.
But actually,the NEED for hand fitting comes from old school manufacturing practices that produce variation. The hole patterns,old school, might involve clamping the frame forging in a fixture box that has drill bushings in the top plate,. The machinist stood at the gang drill, a row of drill presses,and simply used the drill bushings as a template to locate the holes.
Internals like a hammer or trigger were perhaps blanked out on a shaper. I know when I have made old irregular gun parts,like Rolling block extractors,I was often way ahead to think and set up like I was using a shaper,make a bar with the profile of the part,then slice them off with a slotting saw.

But realize today you can start with a prehard piece of flat ground air hardening tool steel and cut any profile ,including sears and hammer notches with a wire EDM,driven by a CNC program. All the parts will be the same within tenths of a thousandth. Hand fitting is not better.
Same with precision grinding.

The old exercise for the toolmaker apprentice was filing out a 1 inch a square,flat,dimensionally accurate cube. Seems to me .001 tolerance was the goal. While I appreciate the skill, The person with a Bridgeport can mill a cube a little oversize pretty quick. Then we can use the Hermann Schmidt toolmaker vise and the Harig surface grinder to make a very accurate cube much faster. And,likely better.

Side by side,two cubes. One hand filed, one knocked out with mill and a grinder. Both o-1 steel,1.000 + or-- .001. Same specs

Which is worth more,and why?

Is he hand filed cube worth $1200 and the machined cube worth $120 ?

Why?

Your emotions can buy a Python for thousands.

Many men have spent thousands of dollars on a few hours of pleasant company....and then found it would cost them far more.

I like to think I have become more pragmatic. To me? Personally? I doubt I'd pull more than $600 out of my wallet,and that is mostly by reputation.

For a DA? Maybe a 44 SPL GP-100 Ruger. And I have not needed one of those enough to buy one.

Last edited by HiBC; October 29, 2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old October 29, 2021, 08:23 PM   #36
rclark

Quote:
What's a gun worth? In short, it is worth just what someone is willing to pay for it.
My opinion too. Pythons (or really any DA) doesn't do anything for me. Side by side, with a beautiful Single Action ... Just no comparison no matter how deep and shiny the bluing or which makes the heart rate go up a bit. Beauty is in eye of the beholder though, so I don't gain say another man's tastes in revolvers or rifles. Just glad we have a variety!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old October 29, 2021, 08:36 PM   #37
HiBC

Quote:
with a beautiful Single Action
I do not have a Colt or a clone, but I DO have a SBH I cut to 5 in, A Bisley Ruger Single Six,32 H+R 6 in bbl,adj sights, And a 44 spl Bisley Lipsey Special,4 5/8

I DO like single actions
Old October 30, 2021, 12:27 AM   #38
BourbonCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
I think people will pay a premium for the old over the new for the same reason people will pay a premium for an old Mustang or Camaro over a new one. The new one may be better in every way but there is an attachment for the old that defies logic. The old brings back memories of the past that the new cannot do.
I think this is a close analogy. New cars are better in every way, but the nostalgia factor is a multiplier for the price.

My dad bought the very first 1964 1/2 Mustang that ever rolled into his hometown. It had the 289 V-8 and a 4-speed transmission. No AC, no power steering, windows, locks, etc. He paid $3600 for it. Imagine if you found one of these cars today. How much would it be worth in 90% original condition. It still wouldn't stack up against a new model in performance or options...not even close. But it would still sell for more than a new one.

Now, if you found a Python in 90% condition, you would need to consider performance against a new model (or any new revolver). It would probably be close in performance with those produced today. Yet the price appreciation is often frowned upon. New Mustangs generally sell for 10x (or more) the price my dad paid back in late '64.

With that in mind, wouldn't it be reasonable for Pythons to fetch 10x the original price when the pistol was sold? It seems particularly reasonable considering the performance differences between the original Mustang and the new one vs. the performance differences between an original Python and a new one.

And yes, I do own a '79 Python. But I received it as a gift for my 50th birthday, and I have no intention of selling it regardless of price. I just like the way it looks and shoots.

Last edited by BourbonCowboy; October 30, 2021 at 12:46 AM.
Old October 30, 2021, 10:21 AM   #39
Lavan

I visited a gun shop this week and they had some original Pythons.
The prices were not in the stratosphere.

I think the trend may be waning.

Old October 30, 2021, 12:04 PM   #40
CajunBass

I was at my LGS a couple of days ago and they had an original one, with a 2.5" barrel, that appeared to be in unfired outside the factory condition. It was tagged at $$4500.00. I think it had the box, papers and such, but can't swear to that. Since it was in the "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" cabinet, I didn't ask to see it closely.

I saw on their website it is now listed as "out of stock."

I've got three of the "new" ones now. One 6" and two of the 4.2" ones. I paid the same for the three as they were asking for that one.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 30, 2021, 03:52 PM   #41
Drm50

I bought 2 new Pythons a 4” & 6” back in early 70s. They were nice guns but I preferred the m27 S&W, there was no 586 back then. Same with Diamondbacks, bought 38sp 4” and 22 in 6”. Nice guns but edged out by S&Ws. I won’t pay ridiculous prices for old Pythons. Today the good old P&R m27s are $1K +.
Old November 1, 2021, 09:37 AM   #42
Master Blaster

the new one is probably better if you are just Burning Ammo.
Its like a big mac vs a gourmet burger from 5 guys.
Both will fill you up.
Old November 1, 2021, 11:03 AM   #43
wild cat mccane

You can use Gunwatcher or gun.deals data to show it's 100% because of the Walking Dead.

The Colt Python was not valued as highly before Walking Dead.

Any nostalgia opinions don't add up, because you can see what the Python was doing prior to 2010 including a massive gun buying spree in 2007...
Old November 1, 2021, 11:09 AM   #44
Forte S+W

Because self-interested collectors have successfully convinced gullible folks that the new production models are worthless replicas which will never appreciate in value and will only get you laughed at when you take them to the range because that tiny little QR Code on the frame completely ruins the aesthetics.

Basically, the same nonsense that happens with any newer production run, in which some minor aesthetic change completely ruins the gun's appearance, magically makes it less fun to shoot, and will only be met by disapproval of one's peers. It works especially well among sheep who care more about what other people think, despite the fact that logically speaking, it's an obvious ploy by those who own something valuable and don't want it's value to be diminished by an otherwise faithful reproduction. "Uh, my vintage model is objectively better because of minor aesthetic differences and people will think your a fool if you buy it. Fortunately, I like your face, so I'm prepared to offer you my superior vintage model for only a few grand more than that cheesy reproduction."
Old November 3, 2021, 09:50 AM   #45
Lavan

Do the new ones REALLY have a QR code on them?

Old November 3, 2021, 10:01 AM   #46
wild cat mccane

You will absolutely lose your mind when you see what Ruger (one of 2 other choices in this revolver size) has been doing on their barrels starting only as recently as 1979.
Old November 3, 2021, 11:09 AM   #47
Lavan

Quote:
You will absolutely lose your mind when you see what Ruger (one of 2 other choices in this revolver size) has been doing on their barrels starting only as recently as 1979.
Tell us. I can't find anything on Google about "Ruger Barrel Marking."

Old November 3, 2021, 11:42 AM   #48
wild cat mccane

Oh. You must not have picked up a GP100 before.

It's why if you go to google, most factory shots of the GP100 are muzzle pointing right and not the left side or underside.

The left side has 4 lines of a book along with the underside of the barrel.
Old November 3, 2021, 04:50 PM   #49
HenryT

A lot of folks here claim that people paying top dollars for a vintage Python are stupid and senseless. However, the fact of the matter is, you never lose money owning a vintage Python. You can get one, shoot it and play around with it and as long as you don't abuse it, chances are you are able to sell it for more than what you pay for.
Old November 3, 2021, 08:03 PM   #50
wild cat mccane

The thing that drove up the interest of the Python was The Walking Dead.

Fact is, it might never be better for Python from here on out since the show ended.