The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 3, 2017, 11:00 AM   #1
chemcal

PPQ M1 or P320c

looking for unbiased pros and cons from people who own both of these; will be used for ccw and home defense.
Old May 3, 2017, 01:17 PM   #2
Siggy-06

The PPQ's trigger is a little nicer than the P320, and the grip feels a little better too. But you can change the frame from Compact to Carry if you want to go from 15 round to 17 round flush mag capacity/fuller sized grip on the P320. They both shoot really well for me in the end. I prefer the euro style mag realease on the PPQ M1 vs the button on the M2.
Old May 3, 2017, 03:54 PM   #3
chemcal

do you have any apprehension with the Q's light trigger or the 320's short take up.
Old May 3, 2017, 04:16 PM   #4
Areoflyer09

I sorta have what your asking about. I've got a PPQ M2 and the P320 full size.

I would agree that the PPQ has a nicer trigger. It feel a bit longer in travel, but it's smoother and lighter. The 320 may have a short travel but mine feels heavy and gritty in comparison.

I struggle with the medium grip and the trigger on the 320. The grip is a bit too big and the trigger just doesn't win me over. I've got a friend that's buying the 320 off of me and I'll keep the PPQ. There isn't anything inherently wrong with it, just didn't fit me well.

I wouldn't hesitate to carry the PPQ with a quality holster and practice. The trigger is light, but not by any means a hair trigger. I got caught more by the short reset than the lightness of the trigger. Took a few range trips to not bump fire the trigger on accident. Once accustomed to it though, it kinda ruins a lot of other triggers.

Something to keep in mind, Sig is still working on ramping up production of 320 parts to meet civilian and military demand. Small grips are still incredibly hard to find, which may or may not be an issue for you. I was told 8-12 weeks before I could expect to see the small grip modular for the full size frame to show up.
Old May 3, 2017, 05:13 PM   #5
Siggy-06

No apprehension with either trigger. Carry it in the proper holster and keep your finger off it till you're ready to fire, standard practice. Either is a great choice.
Old May 4, 2017, 01:12 AM   #6
MGRacer

I much prefer the P320 to the PPQ. The trigger on my PPQ had a very short reset and I experienced a collection of what appear to be doubles, but are really just a result of me pressing the trigger before I was ready due to the gun resetting in recoil. After some modification to my trigger technique I controlled it better. I would not carry it in dangers way and it became a "range" gun and I sold it. It was very accurate and reliable. On the other hand, the trigger on the P320 has a slightly longer reset and it works very well for me.
Old May 4, 2017, 01:40 AM   #7
Nacho Man

Both guns are nice, 320c was a good shooter but the grip and the trigger break toward the end kinda felt weird to me. Its a nice modular system, not really compact for carry though. Ppq trigger is more to my liking, kinda odd styling and the euro mag release is not for me. Both guns were pleasant to shoot. In the end I went to a G19 It just carries really well.
Old May 4, 2017, 02:30 PM   #8
Uncle Malice

I own and have owned both for quite a while.

I prefer the P320. I think the ergonomics are better even though I actually do prefer the paddle mag release. I think I like the P320 trigger over the PPQ as well. The actual break on the PPQ is fantastic, but it's a bit gritty and clunky on the long take-up. I like how short and smooth the P320 is, even if the break is a little bit more of a roll-through.

The P320 compact and the PPQ both hold 15+1, but the P320 compact is a little smaller. I get a better purchase on the P320 slide for racking. The very tapered slide of the PPQ doesn't quite feel right in my hands for some reason. Though I am a big fan of the PPQ slide stop levers, especially over the P320 version.

The PPQ is a great gun, for sure... but in my hands, the P320 compact is hard to beat.... and that says a lot because I am actually kind of anti Sig Sauer... having sold off more than $10k worth of their pistols. The P320 compact is the only one I still have. They're really good guns.
Old May 4, 2017, 05:56 PM   #9
TunnelRat

I've owned multiple of both, still own the P320 Compact. I rented a PPQ a few weeks ago just to see if my memory was holding up. I shoot the PPQ better, but that can be very subjective. I'm also lukewarm on the grip of the P320. There are time where it feels like a squished broom handle to me. I guess I wish it was a bit more narrow. When I hold it I get the impression it's overly wide in the grip and it feels clunky. I shoot it just fine. Another subjective point would be to me the P320 has a bit less muzzle flip, but it's nothing dramatic in terms of the difference. I really like the paddle release and the slide releases of the PPQ. Both were equally reliable for me.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 4, 2017, 11:26 PM   #10
sigarms228

I own the Walther PPQ and have tried out the P320. I like the PPQ better but the P320C is a sweet shooter also for me. I did not particularly like the short take up on the trigger on the P320C for CCW.

As always the best bet is to try both out and see which you have preference for.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:28 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
I did not particularly like the short take up on the trigger on the P320C for CCW.
To me the much stiffer break of the P320 makes up for that.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:02 AM   #12
sigarms228

I am still undecided on that. I only got to put a magazine through a P320C at a factory shoot. Within the next couple months I am going to rent a P320C at local range and shoot it along with some of my other pistols for a better evaluation of how it works for me. I am a big SIG fan and will probably own one eventually.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:09 AM   #13
TunnelRat

All I can say is from my experience I didn't feel like it required any less effort to press through to release the striker on the P320 as the PPQ. One has more takeup but a lighter break, the other less takeup but a stiffer break. The amount of takeup on the P320 is still enough that just placing your finger on the trigger isn't going to discharge a round. It's a pretty deliberate action.
Old May 6, 2017, 07:05 AM   #14
wild cat mccane

Someone does a youtube review of a PPQ vs a VP9 (nutfancy or sootch00, can't remember-easy to find).
In the video the reviewer kept saying the VP9 has the cleaner/crisper trigger , but the video clearly shows the PPQ broke easier for his finger than the VP9-very obvious.

I think the P320 break is heavier than the PPQ-by noticeable amount. Less take up on the P320, trigger weight though: 1 PPQ, 2 VP9, 3 P320.

APX is out if modular grips is your thing...

Last edited by wild cat mccane; May 6, 2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:34 AM   #15
sigarms228

That would be Sootch00. Seems like a nice enough guy but I personally don't consider his infomercials to be unbiased.
Old May 7, 2017, 03:03 AM   #16
Snuffy308

The PPQ grip is amazing though the P320 isn't bad. The PPQ trigger is almost scarey light to me. Would only carry it in a very rigid holster. The P320 trigger though short has a definite wall before release.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:15 PM   #17
IMightBeWrong

Had both a PPQ M1 9mm while they were new and a PPQ45 for a little while. I have a P320 Compact 9mm now. I prefer the grip texture, lack of finger grooves, and trigger of the P320. I will say that after having handled a bunch of P320s, the triggers have changed. Earlier models had mushy triggers. They've gotten more crisp since then. I also like the lack of a trigger safety. Mine has a nice, clean break that's quite short but heavier than a PPQ trigger which I actually like more for carry.

All this said, I really like the PPQ also. But I like the P320 a little bit more.
Old May 8, 2017, 06:25 AM   #18
mrdaputer

Go somewhere that rents them both and the one you like best is the pistol for you.
Old May 10, 2017, 09:37 AM   #19
Fishbed77

Quote:
That would be Sootch00. Seems like a nice enough guy but I personally don't consider his infomercials to be unbiased.
Same here. The tone of every review is "this product is the greatest thing ever and super legit/tier one" because manufacturer X loaned/gave him a product to review.

Mrgunsandgear, MAC, and Hickock45 are biased too, but they admit it in their reviews and seem much more honest in their appraisals. And they all seem like genuinely cool guys.
Old May 10, 2017, 09:43 AM   #20
TunnelRat

PPQ M1 or P320c

Sootch00 seems nice enough but I think he's overly worried about angering manufacturers as it seems like he gets sent a lot of the products he reviews rather than buying them personally. Not biting the hand that feeds him comes into play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; May 12, 2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old May 12, 2017, 06:33 PM   #21
qwiksdraw

Before this topic gets side tracked.

If you're a bull's eye shooter, the difference between the excellent PPQ & P320 triggers may make a difference to you. If you practice self defense or competition shooting, the difference won't be noticeable.