The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 20, 2005, 10:17 AM   #1
KillinCritters

Brownell's

From time to time we run across vendors that show great service and I think we should pass the word on a job well done. In the last 3 weeks I have placed 3 orders with BROWNELL'S and have had the best service. Well done !!

Rick L.

Old October 28, 2005, 07:02 AM   #2
KevlarSix

Numrich Gun Parts Corporation is okay too.. Good service and prompt delivery of the parts
Old October 28, 2005, 02:50 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

brownells

Dear Shooters:
Yes, Brownells service is exceptional but I have little use for the "tech" dept.
Harry B.
Old October 28, 2005, 08:07 PM   #4
10-96

Amen. Gotta keep an eye on those Tech dept fellers. I ordered a particular trigger for a S&W M13 I was working on. It was 'particular' alright- didn't even come close to fitting a S&W

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 28, 2005, 10:53 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

I've had good luck with the techs, but I've never asked them a question that didn't involve some back-and-forth and walking around and inspecting the issue from all sides. I have been disappointed with a couple of the tools I've bought, though that is their maker's fault, and not Brownells. I had to use my lathe to bore out and sleeve a bolt lug lapping tool that didn't run true, and remake its plunger head so the edges didn't bottom out on the radius of the inner edges of the boltface recess. I had to get the use of a surface grinder to true all the perpendicular and flat surfaces of an expensive trigger jig. But parts? I've had no trouble with them other than justifying the cost of some of them.

Nick
Old October 30, 2005, 11:16 AM   #6
Harry Bonar

Brownells

UNKLENICK:
The problem I had dealt with the Turkish mod. 38 Mauser which they said, "some have an 11 1/2 thread." I pointed out that, this was a machining error and the threads on the Turk were.980X12!
They finally cerrosafed the action and it was indeed 12tpi! They e-mailed me that I was, indeed, correct but never changed their article in the "Turkish Mauser."
No big deal, but I feel if I, or anyone makes an honest mistake, which this was, they ought to be man enough to admit it.
The Turk 38 is a good action; I've built a 9.3X62, a 416Taylor and other standard calibers and there has been no set-back or other troubles.
At age 70 I've cancelled my FFL and am going to go back to my first love black powder and real muzzleloaders not the plastic bubble-packed in line abortions!:barf: Good shooting Harry b.
Old October 30, 2005, 01:32 PM   #7
Eghad

Yup Just signed up at Brownells.... If you qualify the discount is pretty good on the items.

NRA Life Member
Old October 31, 2005, 02:04 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Harry,

Sounds like you caught them out on one, alright. What article are you referring to? Something in their newsletter or a description in their catalog?

I am also curious why they hit the cerrosafe and didn't just put a thread gauge in the barrel? When the 12 TPI was dropped in they'd feel the fit.

11.5 TPI is almost exactly a 2.2 mm pitch. I wonder if there is a 2.2 out there somewhere they got it confused with?

Nick
Old October 31, 2005, 03:54 PM   #9
Clemson

The best part of dealing with Brownells is that they DO have a tech department to ask questions of. Most of the time, you can rely on the answer, and it is the only way that some folks can actually talk with a "real" gunsmith. To boot, it won't cost you a dime. That, brother, is customer service!

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old November 1, 2005, 04:32 PM   #10
DT Guy

I've always thought that Brownells was the perfect example of how a business SHOULD be run-

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos