The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 29, 2012, 09:58 AM   #1
tpcollins

What's better - BR bipod or adjustable front rest?

I switched over to a Harris Bench Rest bipod to use with my Protector rear bunny bag. On my smaller caliber rifles, it works just fine. But when I get into my larger calibers - even with my TC muzzleloader - the rifles jump enough that that I have to realign the horizontal with the S Lever. I suppose I could tighten the heck out of it but I'd rather not strip any threads.

Would a Caldwell type adjustable front rest work better with higher recoil rifles or has the bullet left the barrel already making it a moot point? Thanks.
Old November 29, 2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Slamfire

There are guys who shot unlimited F class and they use expensive front rests. I am of the opinion that the rifle recoil is more repeatable on the things.

I am still shooting sling at long range and doing most wretchedly at it.
Old November 29, 2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Rimfire5

You can control most of the bipod jump if you "front load" the bipod, that is press it forward with your shoulder to put some forward pressure on the bipod feet. That seems to cause the rifle to recoil straigt back instead of hopping up.
I find that it really helps get repeatable recoil.

The F-Class rest that I also use eliminates the bipod bounce entirely, partly because the feet are actually arcs instead of rubber feet. It is clearly more stable and more repeatable, but you can't always use an F-class bipod, but you almost always can had a collapsable bipod ready.

An adjustable front rest allows the rifle to recoil straight back.
The benchresters set up the adjustable front rest with a front bag that matches the rifle foreend and use good solid rear bag that lets the rifle slide back freely. They only touch the trigger so the rifle "free recoils' straight back. That is how stable that configuration can be.