The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 19, 2011, 02:10 PM   #1
rbursek

stock finish

I had an old recipe for wood finish that was extremly durable and reparable. it was 1/3 bees wax, 1/3 linseed oil and this is the I forgot question, I think it was 1/3 turpintine but can not remember for sure. It was a great gun stock finish for that hand rubbed style. Any help here?
TIA,
Bob
Old April 19, 2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Vince44

Quote:
it was 1/3 bees wax, 1/3 linseed oil and this is the I forgot question, I think it was 1/3 turpintine
Never tried bees wax. I use tung oil. I make furniture from scratch and sometimes for a hand finish I'll use tung oil, linseed oil, and thin with turpintine. The 1/3 proportions are correct, but it takes about 6 coats to get all the pores filled, with light sanding in between to knock the grain down. Forgot to mention, most stores that sell "tung oil finish" have this stuff already mixed in.
Old April 19, 2011, 02:25 PM   #3
rbursek

Vince44,
was yours 1/3 each of tung and linseed or was that an or tung oil or linseed oil thinned with turpintine?
Bob
Old April 21, 2011, 10:27 PM   #4
saands

The traditional one is 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 BLO (not LO), and 1/3 turpentine ... but I have found that substituting an orange based solvent for the turpentine yields the same results and a MUCH more pleasant mixture to work with!

Have fun and stay safe,

Saands
Old April 22, 2011, 10:23 AM   #5
rbursek

thanks saands,
I ment BLO, and will try the orange instead. I am sure that is the recipe.
Bob
Old May 5, 2011, 06:23 AM   #6
carolina

The return that a stock can provide is often predicted with the help of technical analysis. Stock market trading tips are based on technical analysis of various parameters.Stock market analysis is science of examining stock data and predicting their future moves on the stock market. Investors who use this style of analysis are often unconcerned about the nature or value of the companies they trade stocks in. Their holdings are usually short-term - once their projected profit is reached they drop the stock.
Old May 5, 2011, 11:50 AM   #7
rbursek

WHAT!!!!???????? Carolina. Stock finish is the presevative coating on the wood!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob