The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 23, 2020, 09:15 PM   #26
JERRYS.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 23, 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,648
posts 23 and 26.
JERRYS. is offline  
Old February 24, 2020, 08:13 AM   #27
USNRet93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 23, 2018
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
If the candidates are not covered in the media and they don't have the money for a big Bloomberg type propaganda campaign, how is one to find out about all of the stuff you mention? When I go to the voting booth in our local elections, I have frequently never heard of the candidates for the school board, agricultural districts, etc.
I know ya got a computer or you wouldn't be on this forum..EVERY candidate has a web site..pretty easy...

Ahh already answered above.
__________________
PhormerPhantomPhlyer

"Tools not Trophies”
USNRet93 is offline  
Old February 24, 2020, 03:13 PM   #28
Brownstone322
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 18, 2017
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
It's easy to understand. In Virginia, when it is an off year election when nobody is running for statewide office, there is very little attention given to the election in the newspaper or on TV or radio because the election is only for local house of delegates members. TV and other news media don't have a good reason to cover the local elections because the particular candidate for the House of Delegates or State Senate will be of interest to only the portion of their audience that will be voting for that candidate. When we go to vote, we have never heard of some of the candidates because they didn't have to resources to make themselves known and local media didn't cover them.
This isn't exactly true, not for the 2019 elections, anyway. Every day this past October -- and I mean EVERY DAY -- my mail box was bombarded by political flyers that were glossy and expensive looking. Several of them every single day.
__________________
"To me it doesn't matter if your hopes are dreams are shattered." -- Noel Gallagher

Last edited by Brownstone322; February 24, 2020 at 08:58 PM.
Brownstone322 is offline  
Old February 24, 2020, 04:33 PM   #29
JERRYS.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 23, 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,648
when I lived in NoVa all it took is one yard sign and I started asking questions. Sheriff, city counsel, county commission, mayor, dog catcher, school board..... there's no reason for folks to be bar stool complainers.
JERRYS. is offline  
Old February 24, 2020, 06:15 PM   #30
osbornk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 11, 2012
Location: Mountains of Appalachia
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
when I lived in NoVa all it took is one yard sign and I started asking questions. Sheriff, city counsel, county commission, mayor, dog catcher, school board..... there's no reason for folks to be bar stool complainers.
I lived in Northern Virginia for several years before I moved back to the sticks. You have no clue of the difference between the different worlds of Virginia. Where I live, we have very few signs and spotty cell phone and internet service. It's not unusual to see very few signs anywhere and that is a reason we don't know the candidates or who they are to even look them up on the internet. My congressman covers the entire end of the state and it is probably over 200 miles from one end to the other and it borders WV, TN, NC and KY. Our local TV and newspapers are in or on the Tennessee border so our news coverage is mostly about Tennessee. We once got Virginia news from stations and newspapers in Roanoke, Va. but the newspaper stopped delivering on this end of the state and the cable and satellite for TV is not allowed to carry then by law (it changed several years ago). Other than Virginia laws, tags and legal documents, we have nothing in common with the rest of the state.
osbornk is offline  
Old February 24, 2020, 06:23 PM   #31
JERRYS.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 23, 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
I lived in Northern Virginia for several years before I moved back to the sticks. You have no clue of the difference between the different worlds of Virginia. Where I live, we have very few signs and spotty cell phone and internet service. It's not unusual to see very few signs anywhere and that is a reason we don't know the candidates or who they are to even look them up on the internet. My congressman covers the entire end of the state and it is probably over 200 miles from one end to the other and it borders WV, TN, NC and KY. Our local TV and newspapers are in or on the Tennessee border so our news coverage is mostly about Tennessee. We once got Virginia news from stations and newspapers in Roanoke, Va. but the newspaper stopped delivering on this end of the state and the cable and satellite for TV is not allowed to carry then by law (it changed several years ago). Other than Virginia laws, tags and legal documents, we have nothing in common with the rest of the state.
I'm a bit familiar with folks living in the sticks as I have quite a bit of family in southern WVa. in 1985 I could buy your argument. in 2020 that just doesn't fly when you can look up the temperature and time of sunrise in Tahiti on your cell phone. how can you not be connected in some fashion to your local/regional politics now-a-days? the fact that you are engaged here is proof of this.
JERRYS. is offline  
Old February 25, 2020, 11:58 AM   #32
jrinne0430
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 30, 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 270
Quote:
when I lived in NoVa all it took is one yard sign and I started asking questions. Sheriff, city counsel, county commission, mayor, dog catcher, school board..... there's no reason for folks to be bar stool complainers.
How long ago was that? Though HB961 has been stopped for the year, the one handgun a month, universal background checks, red flag, locality bills, and many more are still active. In addition, with the upcoming redistricting, and huge changes to voting laws under bills SB34 and HB19 (provides driver's licenses to anyone with no requirement to prove citizenship). This will have a very large indirect impact to our rights in the coming elections.

Last edited by jrinne0430; February 25, 2020 at 12:13 PM.
jrinne0430 is offline  
Old February 25, 2020, 12:21 PM   #33
JERRYS.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 23, 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,648
I left NoVa in 2004. I remember well asking Bernie at Virginia Arms how many days until I could buy another gun.
JERRYS. is offline  
Old February 25, 2020, 01:08 PM   #34
jrinne0430
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 30, 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 270
Quote:
I left NoVa in 2004. I remember well asking Bernie at Virginia Arms how many days until I could buy another gun.
That was a long, long time ago. VA is not the same as it was in 16yrs ago. Heck, it's not the same it was five years ago. Stafford and northward changes by the month. Try visiting Manassas or Woodbridge, you will not recognize it or Prince William county, Fairfax, Arlington, etc.. If you feel brave, try visiting one of the parks in Manassas or Woodbridge.

For those of us currently living in VA, there are many more (direct and indirect) gun control bills which are very much alive. Some are so absurd, you have to ask where or how they come up with them. Our battles will be on many fronts now.

For those outside of VA, watch out. This disease is spreading!

Last edited by jrinne0430; February 25, 2020 at 01:15 PM.
jrinne0430 is offline  
Old February 25, 2020, 03:24 PM   #35
osbornk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 11, 2012
Location: Mountains of Appalachia
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
I'm a bit familiar with folks living in the sticks as I have quite a bit of family in southern WVa. in 1985 I could buy your argument. in 2020 that just doesn't fly when you can look up the temperature and time of sunrise in Tahiti on your cell phone. how can you not be connected in some fashion to your local/regional politics now-a-days? the fact that you are engaged here is proof of this.
I'm glad you like living in your fantasy world. The part of southern West Virginia you speak of is clearly not on the western end. The eastern and middle part of West Virginia is a different world from the western tip.
osbornk is offline  
Old February 25, 2020, 03:33 PM   #36
JERRYS.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 23, 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
I'm glad you like living in your fantasy world. The part of southern West Virginia you speak of is clearly not on the western end. The eastern and middle part of West Virginia is a different world from the western tip.
well duh. if its southern its clearly not western, middle, or eastern. but that's a different state than Va. anyway.
JERRYS. is offline  
Old February 25, 2020, 05:42 PM   #37
jrinne0430
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 30, 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 270
Below is a status update from VCDL.

Status of gun bills in the Senate on Monday, February 24

The Senate Judiciary committee met on Monday.

One victory: HB 1288 (takes away gun rights for misdemeanors) was passed by for the year. Most of the other bills were modified to tone them down slightly, and then passed out of committee. All Democrats on the committee voted wrong on every bill, except HB 1288 (Edwards, Saslaw, Lucas, Deeds, Petersen, and Morrissey voted with Republicans) and HB 9 (Senator Petersen voted with Republicans). Republicans voted correctly on everything. The bills are now headed to the Senate Floor, where they can be modified again and voted on in a few days.

Here is the status of the bills that were considered (Senator's names in red voted wrong):

H.B. 2

Patron: Plum

Universal Background Check was conformed to the Senate version, which applies only to bonafide sale and not transfers. It passed out of the committee on a 9 to 5 vote.

YEAS--Edwards, Saslaw, Lucas, Deeds, Petersen, Surovell, McClellan, Boysko, Morrissey--9.

NAYS--Norment, Obenshain, McDougle, Stuart, Chafin--5.

-

H.B. 9

Patron: Bourne

Must report lost/stolen firearm within 24 hours after discovering loss. Squeaked out on a 8 to 7 vote.

YEAS--Edwards, Saslaw, Lucas, Deeds, Surovell, McClellan, Boysko, Morrissey--8.

NAYS--Norment, Obenshain, McDougle, Stuart, Stanley, Chafin, Petersen--7.

-

H.B. 264

Patron: Lopez

Eliminates online training for CHP and was modified to continue allowing NRA instructors to teach. Passed out of committee by a 9 to 6 vote.

YEAS--Edwards, Saslaw, Lucas, Deeds, Petersen, Surovell, McClellan, Boysko, Morrissey--9.

NAYS--Norment, Obenshain, McDougle, Stuart, Stanley, Chafin--6.

-

H.B. 421

Patron: Price

Allows localities to pass their own gun control, but was modified to narrow the focus of where guns could be controlled. However, some new locations were added to what locations could be controlled (recreation and community centers). So government can turn areas it controls into "gun free" shooting galleries, with with no requirement to even provide extra security. Passed out of committee by a 9 to 6 vote.

YEAS--Edwards, Saslaw, Lucas, Deeds, Petersen, Surovell, McClellan, Boysko, Morrissey--9.

NAYS--Norment, Obenshain, McDougle, Stuart, Stanley, Chafin--6.

-

H.B. 674

Patron: Sullivan

Red Flag law, modified to be similar to the Senate version, but with weaker protections than the Senate version. This bill is still horrendous for our civil rights. Government is not held liable for errors or omissions in stripping you of your firearms, nor are they responsible if your guns, in their possession, get lost of damaged. If this bill isn't tyrannical, I don't know what is. Passed out of committee by a 9 to 6 vote.

YEAS--Edwards, Saslaw, Lucas, Deeds, Petersen, Surovell, McClellan, Boysko, Morrissey--9.

NAYS--Norment, Obenshain, McDougle, Stuart, Stanley, Chafin--6.

-

H.B. 812

Patron: Ward

One Handgun a Month, modified to add an exception for CHP holders. Passed out of committee by a 9 to 6 vote.

YEAS--Edwards, Saslaw, Lucas, Deeds, Petersen, Surovell, McClellan, Boysko, Morrissey--9.

NAYS--Norment, Obenshain, McDougle, Stuart, Stanley, Chafin--6.

-

H.B. 1004

Patron: Mullin

Permanent protective orders take way right to keep and bear arms while in force. Passed out of committee by a 9 to 6 vote.

YEAS--Edwards, Saslaw, Lucas, Deeds, Petersen, Surovell, McClellan, Boysko, Morrissey--9.

NAYS--Norment, Obenshain, McDougle, Stuart, Stanley, Chafin--6.

-

H.B. 1080

Patron: Hope

Restricts even further who can have a firearm on K-12 school property. Passed out of committee by a 9 to 5 vote.

YEAS--Edwards, Saslaw, Lucas, Deeds, Petersen, Surovell, McClellan, Boysko, Morrissey--9.

NAYS--Obenshain, McDougle, Stuart, Stanley, Chafin--5.

-

H.B. 1083

Patron: Hayes

Person who leaves a loaded firearm "recklessly" where someone under the age of 18 can have access, could be charged with a Class 6 FELONY. Modified in committee to lower the age back to 14 years-old and reduced the penalty from a Class 6 felony to a Class 1 misdemeanor (up from a Class 3 misdemeanor in current law). Passed out of committee on a 9 to 6 vote.

YEAS--Edwards, Saslaw, Lucas, Deeds, Petersen, Surovell, McClellan, Boysko, Morrissey--9.

NAYS--Norment, Obenshain, McDougle, Stuart, Stanley, Chafin--6.

-

H.B. 1288

Patron: Murphy

Takes away gun rights for misdemeanor stalking, sexual battery, hate crime, or domestic violence. This bill was carried over for the year (dead) by a 12 to 3 vote.

YEAS--Edwards, Saslaw, Norment, Lucas, Obenshain, McDougle, Stuart, Stanley, Chafin, Deeds, Petersen, Morrissey--12.

NAYS--Surovell, McClellan, Boysko--3.
jrinne0430 is offline  
Old February 25, 2020, 08:07 PM   #38
osbornk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 11, 2012
Location: Mountains of Appalachia
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
well duh. if its southern its clearly not western, middle, or eastern. but that's a different state than Va. anyway.
Sheesh
osbornk is offline  
Old February 26, 2020, 03:27 AM   #39
Aguila Blanca
Staff
 
Join Date: September 25, 2008
Location: CONUS
Posts: 13,589
Hint 01: The topic of discussion in this thread is Virginia HB 961.

Hint 02: Check your sarcasm at the door.
__________________
NRA Life Member / Certified Instructor
NRA Chief RSO / CMP RSO
1911 Certified Armorer
Jeepaholic
Aguila Blanca is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2018 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.07718 seconds with 11 queries