The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 20, 2009, 10:09 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

You guys are entirely too paranoid.

You take greater chances of never returning home every day, just by getting on an expressway / freeway / interstate; than you ever will by vaccuuming up smokeless powder.

Just today, I demonstrated the burning characteristics of smokeless powder outside a pressure vessel. It calmed my fiancee down an amazing amount. I actually had 3!! matches burning in the pile of "scrap" powder before it ignited. Then, of course, the 8 second burn time made another impression of a less-than-alarming nature.
As of now, she could care less what I do with smokeless powder.
Old April 21, 2009, 05:33 AM   #27
iblong

I sweep up primers,and use my shop vac for powder never had an issue and dont expect to.Im reasonably carefull with my powder and the amount of spillage is not going to create a bomb even if it did ignite.But then again I might not be the brightest bulb on the tree.
Bob.
Old April 21, 2009, 08:38 AM   #28
aerod1

I let the lady who cleans my house vacuum it up.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old February 14, 2020, 01:17 PM   #29
Mike38

I vacuum it up, even from my reloading room floor which is hardwood. Remember, modern smokeless powder does not explode, it burns rapidly. Vacuuming up 50 granules or so is not going to explode. I've done it for years, no problems at all. I wouldn't vacuum up a pound of it, but a few flakes shouldn't be a problem.
Old February 14, 2020, 01:36 PM   #30
hounddawg

zombie thread from 2009, someone must be bored
Old February 15, 2020, 08:57 AM   #31
LE-28

I vacuum it up also, as long as it is smokeless powder and not Black.

I don't think smokeless powder will conduct electricity so it shouldn't be prone to ignition from a static spark.

It should act more as a faraday cage and the static will just pass around it.

If it were prone to static ignition we would all be using brass and aluminum powder measures like you have to use with black powder.

Black powder does conduct electricity because of the salt peter in it and will ignite with a static spark.

If the humidity in the room is 35% or higher the chance of a static spark isn't very high anyways. Above 35% and there is no chance of a static spark.
Old February 15, 2020, 11:09 AM   #32
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
A vaccuum will be just fine.

We're not talking about black powder here.
This is smokeless powder. It burns like a wet poop*, if not in a pressure vessel. *(t-urd; the uneditted word is censored here.)

Even if it does ignite in a vaccuum cleaner, you'll have more than enough time to grab some popcorn and watch... or pick it up and take it outside to watch it burn.
The odds of ignition are probably about the same as being stuck by lightning twice, on the same day.
^^^for the win!
Old February 15, 2020, 12:10 PM   #33
Unclenick
Staff

Even black powder isn't easily ignited by sparks. The problem is more along the lines of it not being a good idea to have it confined in an environment where you might also suck up a nail or a primer or anything else that might supply enough of a spark to get it going. The wet vac with water inside will handle that.

The revival of this zombie thread by the new member appears to be entirely for the purpose of advertising expensive explosion-proof commercial vacuum cleaners. The post is a first post. Its body is entirely a quote from the site literature at the end of the link and is not original. The poster registered from one of the two places where a distributor of the mentioned products exists.

Because it violates our advertising policy, I will delete the post.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 15, 2020, 03:56 PM   #34
NH15-45

I've been reloading in a carpeted room for forty years and I'm sure I've spilled more than a little powder. Wife's been vacuuming up after me all along and never had an incident. Assuming she vacuums once a week, that's 2,080 times gunpowder probably got sucked up.
Old February 16, 2020, 12:05 AM   #35
higgite

If any of you posters from the original 2009 thread have blown yourself up vacuuming up spilled powder in the last 11 years, please speak up. I need to know if I should stop doing it. Thanks.
Old February 16, 2020, 11:18 AM   #36
mehavey

Piling On . . .
Quote:
....primers will explode....
Has anyone, anywhere, ever actually had a primer explode and/or powder ignite while being vacuumed...?

No theory, please.
Just evidential instance/experimental results.
Old February 16, 2020, 11:52 AM   #37
mikld

I doubt if the amount of powder spilled on a carpet is much more than a few grains (unless you drop a charged 45-70 or fully charged 44 Magnum and it empties on your rug). I have a small Shop Vac and a dust buster I have been using for quite a while with zero Kabooms. Just wondering, has anyone seen or read from a reliable source an instance of a fire or explosion when vacuuming up spilled powder? Or a "Chicken Little", old wives tale idea?

Last edited by mikld; February 17, 2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old February 16, 2020, 02:41 PM   #38
hounddawg

When I was in the Navy a long time ago we had a guy vacuum up a lit cigarette, a couple of minutes later the vacuum began spitting out a trail of smoke. Scary part is the guy was a missle tech whose job was working on Polaris missiles. True story

on that note never vacuum up a lit cigarette, in particular if you have just vacuumed up a pound of powder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title
Old February 17, 2020, 07:07 PM   #39
LE-28

Vacuuming up a lit cigarette with a vacuum full of lint doesn't surprise me coming from a rocket scientist.
Sometimes they are so smart their dumb.

Quote:
The revival of this zombie thread by the new member appears to be entirely for the purpose of advertising expensive explosion-proof commercial vacuum cleaners. The post is a first post. Its body is entirely a quote from the site literature at the end of the link and is not original. The poster registered from one of the two places where a distributor of the mentioned products exists.

Because it violates our advertising policy, I will delete the post.
Thanks for pointing that out.
Enough said.

Quote:
Has anyone, anywhere, ever actually had a primer explode and/or powder ignite while being vacuumed...?

No theory, please.
Just evidential instance/experimental results.
I haven't had a problem in 48 years, I vacuum my reloading room out every couple weeks, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen in the winter when the air is really dry. Mr Murphy is always watching us.
Old February 17, 2020, 09:23 PM   #40
mehavey

While 6-sigma stats are always a surprise (by definition)...
https://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml...ks/sparks.html
https://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml...eignition.html

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/t.../#post-1600811

Last edited by mehavey; February 17, 2020 at 09:30 PM.
Old February 19, 2020, 12:39 PM   #41
Unclenick
Staff

Pioneers wearing static-prone furs had to handle muzzleloading in winter. If the stuff were wildly sensitive to static sparks, they'd have experienced damage from bursting powder horns on a regular basis, but I've not heard of such incidents figuring large in the history of the times.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 19, 2020, 06:12 PM   #42
LE-28

That's a really good point Uncle Nick. I hadn't thought about that.
Old February 22, 2020, 11:23 AM   #43
jetinteriorguy

Just think of how much static the wool uniforms worn during the Civil War would produce. Especially ramming bags of it down cannon barrels. Yikes. Or tearing open paper packets and pouring them down barrels when the rifles had been rubbing up against wool while marching along.
Old February 22, 2020, 06:23 PM   #44
jaguarxk120

Where are Myth Busters when you need then! A shop vacuum cleaner
half full of powder and primers with a lit cigar should solve any questions.
Old February 22, 2020, 07:42 PM   #45
Kram

I installed new plank flooring last month. I got down to the last row, clicked in a new plank, tapped it in with the mallet and tapping block and Boooommm. Somewhere along the way, I picked up a primer.

I had to check my shorts after that.
Old February 22, 2020, 08:11 PM   #46
hounddawg

Quote:
I had to check my shorts after that.

I would have had to call the fire department to bring the "jaws of life' to spread the cheeks for that

Quote:
Where are Myth Busters when you need then! A shop vacuum cleaner
half full of powder and primers with a lit cigar should solve any questions.
Loved that show but youtube to the rescue

Vacuuming a lit cigarette when the vacuum is filled with gunpowder
Old February 25, 2020, 06:17 PM   #47
LE-28

If your dumb enough not to ever empty your reloading room vacuum and let it fill up with powder, I guess Darwin has something to say about your existence.

Nice Pyro show though.