The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 25, 2020, 02:31 AM   #26
Scorch

Quote:
No Keltec has a plastic slide, and they all have metal frames.
Perhaps if you actually tried one, you would understand why they could be someone's favorite gun.
Bill, I work as a gunsmith, have for many years, and I see and work on many, many kinds of guns. The new PMR30 has a PLASTIC slide with a steel insert. It also has a PLASTIC frame. Call it polymer if you want, but it's plastic. Perhaps if you actually handled one, you would see that I don't say things that are not true. And I understand perfectly well how they could be somebody's favorite gun because I have seen people go totally stupid over cheap guns before.
Taylor Machine
Old February 25, 2020, 08:57 AM   #27
Aguila Blanca
Staff

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gu...el-tec-pmr-30/

Quote:
Half of the slide is covered in plastic as well, so when you rack it you never even touch metal.

https://thegunzone.com/review-kel-tec-pmr-30-pistol/

Quote:
Straight away, you realize that this is nearly a full polymer design, with just the barrel, slide rail, internal grip frame, and other small key parts being made from steel, aluminum, or Zytel – making for a very unique design.
Jeepaholic
Old February 25, 2020, 01:44 PM   #28
seanc

Kel-tec has been an innovator, they've been copied a lot for good reason. That's a fact.

The problem was, they'd come out with a new design/idea, release a batch of "beta" guns then it takes years for the supply chain to fill. Meanwhile, the friendly gun reviewers write rave reviews about these unobtanium guns and demand builds and for a while, there was a premium price on these budget guns (at least in my area). It seems they're doing a much better job of producing in quantity now as I'm seeing them in stock now. Before, you had to buy based on gun reviews and order and hope. Given the high demand, their QA has had a hard time keeping up too. That's where the "joke" reputation has come from. Also, for the PMR/CMR 30, 22 mag rimfire is tough to do, how many other companies even try?