The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 29, 2020, 08:45 PM   #1
rickyrick

Haha, Clever Ruse

Really I’m not bashing any business.

I was purchasing extra fitness equipment as I have been focusing on getting physically fit again. Was not a cheap purchase anyway.

While shopping, I quickly passed by a display of gun care products and a thought flashed in my head that a fresh bottle of good old fashioned CLP would be handy. Free hand sped out and snatched a bottle off of the display. Paid at the register and being in the Pacific Northwest, I passed on a single use plastic bag and opted to cart everything out to the Jeep. Loaded up and went home.

Later on after trying stuff out I remembered that there was the bottle of oil out in the vehicle. I kinda gulped when I saw the sticker, haha.
Clever marketing to make it look like a bottle of CLP... which I guess it is CLP... just not the same CLP my ever aging butt was expecting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 29, 2020, 09:07 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

???

What is this photo trying to show?
Jeepaholic
Old January 29, 2020, 09:10 PM   #3
rickyrick

$17.99
Old January 30, 2020, 12:37 AM   #4
pwc

For what?
Old January 30, 2020, 01:03 AM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Why does the bottle look like it has the word "Sauer" on it, or at least 60% of that word? It looks more like a bottle of SIG Sauer Spec1 which is relatively expensive.

If you wanted to display the price, why orient it the way you did in the image?

And $17.99 seems to be the going price for actual CLP-4:
https://www.amazon.com/Break-Free-Cl...JQJKYCTTHPJM1C
Old January 30, 2020, 09:30 AM   #6
rickyrick

I just never expected that gun oil could cost so much, $17.99 for any kind of gun oil was beyond any estimation that I had in my mind; fancy lube or not. A bottle of oil last me a really long time. The last time I ever bought CLP, Younger Bush was in office. I still don’t know what SPEC1 means, apparently that word is worth about $13 dollars on its own.
I just thought it was funny that somehow I slept through an entire gun-lube revolution.
I’m not mad or complaining about any product or retailer. I was fooled by myself. I thought it was funny.
I see now that it is normal. I buy Hoppes NO9 for cleaning on a fairly regular basis, just not gun oil.
I’m fortunate, I ain’t rich, but I don’t hurt for money. Times have change tho.
Old January 30, 2020, 11:34 AM   #7
Sharkbite

Go buy a bottle of Mobil 1 synthetic and use it for the rest of your life.

Yes motor oil works very well on firearms. Its cheap and lasts forever.
Old January 30, 2020, 11:59 AM   #8
rickyrick

I usually have products around that suffice as gun lube.

My last bottle of CLP was probably purchased at K-mart lol.
Old February 2, 2020, 12:18 PM   #9
rickyrick

Turns out this stuff seems really “Lubey”
Did so well I lubed my bench vises with the stuff
Old February 2, 2020, 01:05 PM   #10
J.G. Terry

Mobile #1 Synthetic Grease

A friend of mine shared about miracle lubes. He was going to use some miracle lube on his Garand's. A shooting buddy pointed out that he was paying serious money for Mobile #1 Synthetic Grease. Tried some out. That ended any quest for grease type gun lubes here. I also use the Mobile Synthetic Oil. One tube and one bottle will only last about twenty years. I'd hate to know how much money I have spent on dandified kerosene with fancy gun stuff labels.
Old February 2, 2020, 10:25 PM   #11
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
Go buy a bottle of Mobil 1 synthetic and use it for the rest of your life.

Yes motor oil works very well on firearms. Its cheap and lasts forever.
While M1 is great oil, it is legally a synthetic, but imo its not a true synthetic anymore. Buy pennzoil synthetic for your gun. Its a true synthetic.
Old February 4, 2020, 03:21 PM   #12
gwpercle

The price was clearly marked....they will stick you on those special gun oils and lubes .
Watch out for Lucas Gun Oil , 2 ozs , $5.50 I swear it looks feels smells and works just like their Lucas Semi-Synthetic ATF (10052-1) which sells for $7.99 for 16 ozs...next time I'll just buy the quart of Lucas ATF and refill the little 2 0z. bottle eight times...what a savings that would be ... cost would be only $1.00 per bottle !
Gary
Old February 4, 2020, 07:16 PM   #13
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
The price was clearly marked....they will stick you on those special gun oils and lubes .
Watch out for Lucas Gun Oil , 2 ozs , $5.50 I swear it looks feels smells and works just like their Lucas Semi-Synthetic ATF (10052-1) which sells for $7.99 for 16 ozs...next time I'll just buy the quart of Lucas ATF and refill the little 2 0z. bottle eight times...what a savings that would be ... cost would be only $1.00 per bottle !
Gary
It would surprise me if its ATF. ATF is great at cleaning and cooling but not good at eliminating friction. Its designed to stop the bands from slipping. Its really an extremely poor lubricant, but it can be used as a lubricant in certain applications.
Old February 8, 2020, 07:21 PM   #14
dfwkid

The best synthetic oil is Pennzoil Platinum made from natural gas. Should also lower your carbon footprint (lol).