The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 23, 2019, 11:36 PM   #76
Leaf

I pity the fool what would attempt a similar scenario with these ladies in the future.
Old June 24, 2019, 06:35 AM   #77
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
I pity the fool what would attempt a similar scenario with these ladies in the future.
Hopefully lightening won't strike twice for these ladies but considering the (expected) chaos, I think they did great. Considering the (expected) arguments for certain calibers and handguns, the fact that they were armed and not afraid to use it....good on them..I'm sure the bad guy didn't expect armed resistance..Most(all) are cowards looking for the easy mark.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old July 10, 2019, 03:50 AM   #78
amyacker

This also shows how important it is to have high capacity magazines, because she ran out and the deadly threat was still fighting.
Old July 11, 2019, 08:07 AM   #79
FireForged

I disagree with the idea that "most: armed robbers are cowards. I submit that they are more likely to be violent, well formed predatory personalities who are indifferent to common morals, values and perceived consequence. The fact that they are often organically predatory in nature makes it rather unlikely that they are cowards. Are there some half hearted robbers who are not organically violent or predatory?.. sure, but that is a exceedingly unusual. When I say organic, I don't mean that they are born unusually predatory, I simply mean that it has become their nature as apposed to someone who is acting out of pure desperation or other dire consequence.

On the expectation of resistance: I think that most burglars, robbers, home invaders, car jackers - do in fact expect resistance and accept it as an inevitable part of the landscape. It doesn't mean that they do not prefer the road of least resistance but the road they ultimately choose can depend on many things.

I wouldn't count on a violent criminal being a coward and I wouldn't count on them to be taken off guard regarding resistance. That belief might actually work against you if you happen to be suddenly thrust into a dangerous conflict with one. Badguys do not always operate in the manner of hubcap-stealers or vandals.

Last edited by FireForged; July 11, 2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old July 11, 2019, 08:23 AM   #80
FireForged

Quote:
This also shows how important it is to have high capacity magazines, because she ran out and the deadly threat was still fighting.

The process by which a person selects a weapon is typically full of compromises. A smaller, lighter weapon is almost always going to come at the detriment of capacity. Having a large (full size) weapons is not always practical or possible. I wont argue against a higher capacity magazine but sometimes personal skill is more important than number or rounds. In a perfect world we will always have plenty of skill and resources but it doesn't always play out that way in real life.