The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 27, 2017, 10:30 AM   #1
Vrettosjames

Stevens/Savage model 620 Help!!

DOes anyone know where I can find help on a Stevens 620 pump action shotgun. I've torn the thing apart, replaced all springs, replaced the charging handle, filed and cleaned all internal parts, and for some reason I still cant get the thing to cycle properly. It gets hung up, and the slide lock release doesnt release the slide. Not really sure what I am doing wrong. Anyone that can help, PLEASE respond.

I have seen the crappy diagram on this shotgun on google, but I cant find a good video or diagram!!

I just finished cerakoting and would love to complete this build.
Old March 2, 2017, 10:31 PM   #2
Pops1085

Hmm... did it cycle before the paint job? Also, does the slide release depress all the way? On my old one I really had to flatten the thing until it was almost inside the gun before it released. Probably just got worn out.
Old March 4, 2017, 05:43 PM   #3
Pyzon

Only suggestion I can offer is what I did, which is to send the receiver through a couple cycles of ultrasonic cleaning using heated MPro7 cleaning solution. A lot of these vintage guns have sat unused and uncleaned for decades.

Sounds like yours is mechanical in nature, right ?
Old March 16, 2017, 09:43 AM   #4
Vrettosjames

I cleaned the living daylights out of it. I still cant get it to cycle. Just changed firing pin as well, and the lifter spring. The lifter raises too far wedging the shell against the top of the receiver, and doesnt allow the shell to enter the chamber. Also, the lifter doesnt allow the shell to feed smoothly. Im lost. I cant figure it out.
Old March 16, 2017, 01:59 PM   #5
FITASC

What pump has a charging handle?

What parts are you filing on? and why?

Maybe a pic or two might help.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 16, 2017, 02:52 PM   #6
Vrettosjames

meant to say forend. Mixing up Ar parts with shotguns LOL.

Trying to upload a pic, but its not letting me. keeps failing.

Anyway, Ive watched the video above several times, and still cant seem to get it to chamber a round correctly. Will try to get a pic of trigger assembly uploaded from my phone. Hopefully someone can help me out. I know its a stupid error that i made and may be obvious to someone. for the life of me, i just cant seem to figure it out.....

only filed some small burrs, and cleaned with a wire wheel. changed springs for both extractors, changed firing pin since my old one was snapped, changed the lifter spring, changed slide lock release. i just dont get it.
Old March 16, 2017, 03:04 PM   #7
Vrettosjames

http://imgur.com/a/yCWql
Old March 16, 2017, 04:09 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

How did it work before you changed out all the parts?
Indiscriminate modification and parts changing can sure cause problems.
Old March 16, 2017, 04:20 PM   #9
Vrettosjames

Worked fine. Except for the broken firing pin and broken extractor springs. Nonetheless, i replaced with parts from Numrich.
Old March 16, 2017, 04:21 PM   #10
Vrettosjames

Does anyone have a stevens 620? If you do, and feel like removing the trigger assembly and taking good pics of spring locations and what not, id greatly appreciate it.
Old April 28, 2017, 03:53 AM   #11
thibaultfelix40

Replacement parts for especially older guns are not drop in. I am working on some older Savages and have to do considerable filing. I am often returning used parts that fit over replacing them. I have some that Bubba fixed and he seems to have subistituted force for files.
Old April 28, 2017, 05:56 AM   #12
Vrettosjames

Never uodated this. After considerable amout of filing, and checkeing every tolerance, i found that the hammer spring was the main culprit. I ordered a new one from numrich, and apparently it was the wrong one. Ordered a second one and she works.

All i have left is to adjust the lifter spri g correctly

Tags
12ga , pump action , savage , stevens , trigger assembly