The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 25, 2020, 08:06 PM   #51
TunnelRat

No offense meant, but of the decisions in this world choosing between two pistols isn’t the hardest out there. Someone on here could choose for you, but really you’re the end user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 25, 2020, 08:49 PM   #52
Flight567

@TunnelRat no offense taken. Certainly, I have made harder, more important decision more quickly.
As a poor college student, a 600 dollar purchase is a large expenditure. Im just trying to make the correct purchase... Because I can't remake it for a year or so to come, or several months if I have to resell the one that I buy and buy a different one.

In the end I will buy the one that tickles my fancy the most. The conversation is.... Stimulating. I don't get to have firearms conversations a lot in college, so it's nice to have the the talk

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old February 25, 2020, 08:53 PM   #53
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
No offense meant, but of the decisions in this world choosing between two pistols isn’t the hardest out there. Someone on here could choose for you, but really you’re the end user.

And yet, so many of us show up here, looking for some input from fellow gun owners .....
Old February 25, 2020, 09:06 PM   #54
TunnelRat

Understood. I get being on a limited budget. In my experience when a firearm tickles your fancy you end up owning it at some point down the road, even if a long way down the road. What you buy sooner doesn’t always have to be what you have later. In the meantime, I feel pretty confident in saying that either should be reliable for you.

Old February 26, 2020, 10:08 AM   #55
chemcal

Curiously, since you've spent 4 years training with a p250(which I also have), have you considered the trigger difference offered by a sig 320. I do know people who would not be comfortable carrying one due to its very short take up and light trigger. I am just saying the learning curve is there.
Old February 26, 2020, 10:16 AM   #56
Flight567

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemcal View Post
Curiously, since you've spent 4 years training with a p250(which I also have), have you considered the trigger difference offered by a sig 320. I do know people who would not be comfortable carrying one due to its very short take up and light trigger. I am just saying the learning curve is there.
I see that you also are a man of fine taste. The goal of the thread was to get some perspective on the HK vs the Sig. I was about ready to pick up a p320 before I found that deal on a VP9.

The trigger doesn't bother me for carry. It should be in a holster where the trigger can't be activated unless I'm using it (range etc), and if I have to present during an..... encounter.... I don't put my finger on the trigger until I'm ready to fire.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old February 26, 2020, 10:37 AM   #57
chemcal

Nice respose; let us know which one you get.
Old February 27, 2020, 04:39 AM   #58
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post

Yep, that is the Short and sweet of it.
I tend to get general information on a firearm and then I make my own judgements after shooting them. Size, weight, safety, trigger for my needs or desires. I do not rush into buying a new gun, take my time, try out many.
Things do change for me over time. I have been shooting all my life, carrying for about 12 years. Started with larger guns, and slowly moved down to smaller and lighter.
I have (for myself) found that I focus more on diligent training with the guns I do carry,(typically have two of each, one for range and one for carry) and consider situational awareness as important as the firearm I do carry.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 27, 2020 at 04:46 AM.
Old February 27, 2020, 10:37 AM   #59
Brit

Most likely the most important asset of any pistol you carry for self-defence is it goes bang each time you press the trigger if there is a round in the chamber.
My Gen 4 Glock 19 has done that through thousands of rounds.
A used Police purchase will be a decent price (Important area, as in cheap!)
They do not get shot much. Send it into Glock for Glock night sights, $60.00. Good for 4 years, at least. The Glock holster at $15.00? will last forever. And a Glock mag. pouch the same. Spare mag a Glock 17 one.

Watch a few Seal or other Special forces videos and see what carry pistol they recommend, Glock 19s. 16 rounds out of the gate, and accepts 17, and 15 round magazines. Just a thought.
Old February 28, 2020, 01:10 AM   #60
Ignition Override

Flight567:
It's good to see that many college students take an interest in handguns or rifles.

My son was already in college before he had any gun exposure, and only tried out guns a few times when back in town and very busy.
My true interest didn't develop until age 52 (2007), or it might possibly have influenced him. Three of my handguns are Sigs: a pair of P6, and a "true" P225 (1987). I'm not surprised that you have carried a Sig.
Old February 28, 2020, 08:35 AM   #61
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
Most likely the most important asset of any pistol you carry for self-defence is it goes bang each time you press the trigger if there is a round in the chamber.
My Gen 4 Glock 19 has done that through thousands of rounds.
A used Police purchase will be a decent price (Important area, as in cheap!)
They do not get shot much. Send it into Glock for Glock night sights, $60.00. Good for 4 years, at least. The Glock holster at $15.00? will last forever. And a Glock mag. pouch the same. Spare mag a Glock 17 one.

Watch a few Seal or other Special forces videos and see what carry pistol they recommend, Glock 19s. 16 rounds out of the gate, and accepts 17, and 15 round magazines. Just a thought.
How dare you?
Quote:
I never understand why, when the OP asks for guidance between a Sig and an HK, somebody has to throw out “buy a Glock” . That’s not what he was asking.
Both are good options, however you have trained for years with a Sig. The 320 would would have a totally different trigger feel than the DAO 250. Perhaps a 365 would be easier to conceal, for carry, but the 320 would make a nice range/duty weapon.

"Tools not Trophies”