The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2007, 11:07 PM   #1
Chief-7700

looking for a plated bullet

Getting ready to make a major order of reloading supplies, have been reloading WW 230 gr. FMJ's. Just wondering what 230gr.RN are out there, do not care to got back to lead?
Chief-7700
Old June 25, 2007, 01:00 AM   #2
fourrobert13

www.berrysmfg.com

I have been using their bullets for the past couple of years, and I don't plan on changing any time soon. I load 9mm and 45 acp, accurate and affordable IMO.
Old June 25, 2007, 10:03 AM   #3
JoeHatley

I stopped using cast lead bullets myself. Since then, I've had good luck with Rainier plated bullets from Midway. I usually wait for them to go on sale (about every 3 months) and then stock up.

If I need just a few boxes, Berry's are available at the local Cabelas store.

Joe
Old June 25, 2007, 10:16 AM   #4
PeteQuad

I've been using Rainier bulelts from midway and they are nice. I'm thinking of trying out Masterblaster bullets, which are polymer coated instead of copper plated.
Old June 25, 2007, 11:36 AM   #5
rrp

I've had very good success with Rainier from Midway. Regular price is about 42 dollars for 500. They do go on sale for under 40 dollars quite often. Good luck.
Old June 25, 2007, 11:51 AM   #6
45auto45

This is what I now use. Very good, accurate and consistant. I use therm in IPSC shoots.

https://secure3.mooseweb.com/montana.../pricelist.tpl
Old June 25, 2007, 11:58 AM   #7
snuffy

I've been using west coast bullets for a couple of years. Their name has changed to X-treme bullets at;
http://www.xtremebullets.com/index.htm

They claim to have the thickest plating, I do think they do. ALL of them are double struck, meaning sized before plating and sized after plating. Just another option for you.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 25, 2007, 01:37 PM   #8
frankxd

+1 on Rainier from Midway

They are cheaper if you have a C&R license on file with them.
Old June 25, 2007, 04:45 PM   #9
Trapper L

Chief, I would suggest going with the Rainier 200 gr hex hollow point. They come out of my 45's super accurate and at near max loads are one of the best defense bullets I've found for the 45 acp. Expansion is predictable, weight retention is good, penetration is good, accuracy is great. Hard to beat that combination.
Old June 25, 2007, 04:55 PM   #10
azredhawk44

Quote:
I've been using west coast bullets for a couple of years. Their name has changed to X-treme bullets at;
http://www.xtremebullets.com/index.htm

They claim to have the thickest plating, I do think they do. ALL of them are double struck, meaning sized before plating and sized after plating. Just another option for you.
A big +1 to X-treme bullets.

I use their 240gr plated RNFP bullets in 44 magnum and I am very happy with them. I push them around 1300fps with no problems whatsoever. I haven't tried pushing them faster than that yet, but I don't have any worries. They are the only plated bullet I know of that comes with a cannelure... they must have a thick plate to support that.

Also a big +1 to Berry's. I really like their bullets for my autos... 9mm and 45acp. I treat them just like a jacketed bullet. I push the 230gr .45 bullets at 800-ish fps, and the 124gr 9mm bullets at about 1100fps. Never a problem. Nice accuracy.

And a big -1 (minus 1) to Rainier. Their plating must be 1/10 the thickness of Berry's. I can't keep them in a group unless I push them so slow that my gun barely cycles them.
Old June 25, 2007, 10:05 PM   #11
gandog56

Have you ever thought of trying moly coated (Black bullets) ? They are a lot cheaper than plated or jacketed and don't put either lead or copper deposits in your barrel. Take a look at Precision Bullets, Bear Creek Bullets, or Masterblaster bullets.