The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 18, 2011, 05:09 PM   #1
ak-473690

concealed weapon law in Florida

Where CANT I carry my weapon in Florida?
Old March 18, 2011, 05:42 PM   #2
sils79

Maybe ask these guys

http://floridaconcealedcarry.com/Forum/index.php
Old March 18, 2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Don H

A quick Google search turned up this pamphlet published by the State of Florida and I have quoted below the pertinent section:
Quote:
Are There Any Places Where I Cannot Carry a
Concealed Weapon or Firearm?
Yes. Florida law specifies a number of places where
carrying any concealed weapon or firearm is prohibited. A
complete listing of these places can be found at Section
790.06(12), F.S. Some of the places appearing on this list
are police, sheriff, and Highway Patrol stations,
courtrooms, elementary and secondary school facilities,
school administration buildings, bars, the sterile areas of
airports, etc.
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/FOR...apons-0210.pdf

Quoted below is the Florida code section referenced in the above quote:
Quote:
(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
Old March 18, 2011, 07:43 PM   #4
bearone2

didn't you have to go thru some training classes to get the permit?
Old March 18, 2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Law & Civil Rights.....
Old March 18, 2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Glenn Dee

BearOne.. In Florida an applicant must take a state mandated CCW course given by a state certified instructor. This usually includes at least two hours class time, and some range time where you must demonstrate safe handling and firing of a handgun. A hunter safety course, or a US veteran with an honerable discharge will also serve as a substitute for the CCW course.
Old March 19, 2011, 12:42 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Dee
BearOne.. In Florida an applicant must take a state mandated CCW course given by a state certified instructor. This usually includes at least two hours class time, and some range time where you must demonstrate safe handling and firing of a handgun. A hunter safety course, or a US veteran with an honerable discharge will also serve as a substitute for the CCW course.
I got my FL non-resident by submitting my DD-214, but I think they also accept as proof of firearms safety training a carry permit from any other state that requires safety training before issuing a permit. I'm not sure why Bear even asked about classes but, if he was hinting that anyone with a permit should have been taught the laws -- (a) that's not a requirement of FL law -- the requirement is firearms safety training; and (b) anyone getting their FL permit as a non-resident through training outside of the state would not have received any training in the specifics of FL carry laws no matter what.
Old March 19, 2011, 08:50 AM   #8
MP9

Quote:
In Florida an applicant must take a state mandated CCW course given by a state certified instructor. This usually includes at least two hours class time, and some range time where you must demonstrate safe handling and firing of a handgun. A hunter safety course, or a US veteran with an honerable discharge will also serve as a substitute for the CCW course.

it should. but many course are about 40 minutess in some guns store.. the only interest is selling gun... in some case shoot 2 rounds and you are ready to go out and buy your gun....

this stuff scary me.

I live in FL too, and I have read the law by myself but I think there should be betters courses and better training...

I took a course all day and I asked the guys some law questinos and they didnt answer me.. just told me to read the book Florida firearm law use & ownership... very good by the way.. all florida guns owner should read this. have many real case and examples...