The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Taxidermist

lead and gas checks help

I have always loaded jacketed bullets so I'm not familiar with lead bullets. I bought some swc 158 gr. bullets. Do I need to put those gas checks on them? I will be loading them for 38 special. Do they pop on or do I need a special tool? For powder I only have red dot and 2400. Any suggestions for a load?

Thanks
John
Old June 30, 2007, 10:08 PM   #2
crowbeaner

Hey Taxidermist greetings from lake effect territory. If you don't go too far toward maximum with the faster burning powder, you should be OK. Most available bulk cast bullets are fairly hard from the alloys the caster employs. Unless the bullet is cut for a gascheck, you'll be farther ahead money and aggravation wise to load them as is. Slower burning powders in the 357 may work OK depending on the gun and bullet hardness, you will have to try a few to see. As long as the lube is sufficient, leading may not even be an issue, but usually you have to do some scrubbing. Hope this helps.CB
Old June 30, 2007, 10:18 PM   #3
Taxidermist

Thanks, The bullets do seem to have the slightest taper on the bottom. I forgot the company name but they come lubed in a bulk box of 500. Now I'll start searching for a load to try with the red dot or 2400 powder I have. Thanks again from St. Lawrence County.

John
Old June 30, 2007, 10:24 PM   #4
crowbeaner

No charge, neighbor! I was born and raised in SL county. Still have relatives there.
Old July 1, 2007, 01:48 PM   #5
Slamfire

Never needed a gas check on any pistol bullet. I have probably shot close to a 100,000 of them.

Ah, but cast rifle bullets, totally different matter. I cast some 30 caliber ones and because everyone was out of gas checks, I wanted to find out what would happen. The velocity of my 205 grain Lyman bullets were about 1700 fps out of a 30-06, and would not group on a six by six foot target at 100 yards. Something was happening.

When I got the gas checks I was getting less than 3 inch groups at the same distance. Happy, happy, joy, joy.
Old July 1, 2007, 03:21 PM   #6
steveno

the gas check requires an actual groove at the base of the bullet. the taper will not work with a gas check
Old July 1, 2007, 08:00 PM   #7
Taxidermist

Ok thanks. I guess that means I don't need them. That's a relief. Thanks again fella's.

John
Old July 2, 2007, 01:54 PM   #8
LAH

The gas check bullet has a base that's smaller than the rear driving band. The reduction in size isn't a taper but a 90 degree turn toward the axis of the bullet with another 90 degree turn toward the base of the bullet. The gas check being a cup simply snaps to the base and the bullet & gas check is normally passed through a sizing die........Creeker
Old July 2, 2007, 06:22 PM   #9
crowbeaner

I just cast about 500 300 gr. .45 bullets for a friend that has a souped up Ruger. I used a brand spanking new Saeco 4 holer. What an absolutely superb piece of engineering! No break in necessary and once up to temp, every bullet was perfect! Wish I had more money to work with I'd buy one of every caliber I could think of. Happyhappyjoyjoy.
Old July 2, 2007, 06:45 PM   #10
LAH

Saeco normally turns out great moulds. Have a couple myself.
Old July 2, 2007, 07:27 PM   #11
XD-Guy

For Red Dot I have start 2.9 and max 3.1 with an oal of 1.420
Old July 2, 2007, 08:34 PM   #12
Taxidermist

XDD-Guy...... Thanks, I'll give that load a try.

John
Old July 2, 2007, 08:52 PM   #13
crowbeaner

Taxidermist- I hesitate to give a load rec. on 2400 because you said the ammo is for a .38. I could give you a couple, but they are in the .38+P++ category and I don't know what type of gun and condition you are working with. If you have access to Unique powder, try 4.5 to5.0 max. 3.1 max sounds about right for Red Dot.CB
Old July 2, 2007, 09:12 PM   #14
Taxidermist

Ok CB, I only have red dot and 2400 right now and a no play money this week. I bought an old 22 short revolver and ordered a new Hi-Point .380 so I'm limited on powder for a few weeks anyway. I can only hide a few bucks at a time without the old woman finding it. LOL...
My gun I'm loading for is a S&W Model 15-3 snub nose. I will be using SWC 158gr. and either red dot or 2400. Actually I have been weighing the bullets on my Lyman scales and so far none of the bullets have weighed the same. I'm thinking about tossing the damn things out and just buying some jhp instead. I know these lead bullets aren't perfect but I'm getting weights from 155 gr to 157 gr. and even a couple that weighed 152gr. Seems like they should be closer than that for a company to sell them as 158gr.

John

Last edited by Taxidermist; July 2, 2007 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Typo on a name
Old July 2, 2007, 09:28 PM   #15
crowbeaner

You have to realize that the bullets were probably cast by a machine and there were probably 6 to 8 sets of moulds at work on the circle. Actually the weights aren't too bad, a little more variation than I would like, but I cast my own and I am the hardest inspector I know. If it ain't perfect back in the pot it goes! I'd load a few just for funsys, and wait for the moolah to even itself out. The Red DOt will work OK, so try a few. Trim your cases to make sure they all get the same crimp and all should be fine. I used to load 158s over 11.0 of 2400 but they wre for a model 19 357. With the 38 it should be around 9.0 maybe 10.0 max. I don't have my notes here to check.CB
Old July 2, 2007, 09:46 PM   #16
Taxidermist

I'll try some of them and see how they do. I think I'll go with the red dot. I'll get some Unique as soon as I can. I have always used jacketed bullets but thought I'd start saving money and switch to lead.

John
Old July 2, 2007, 10:01 PM   #17
crowbeaner

A good lead load may really surprise you with it's accuracy. You can really tailor your load if you cast, because you can vary the hardness, diameter, crimp, seating depth, neck tension etc. I used to load 173 gr. Lyman 358429s over 3.5 of Bullseye for the spouse's old 4 screw S&W M+P. I could make a broken broom handle nothing but slivers at 15 feet with it, and shame on the red treerat that came within range. CB
Old July 2, 2007, 10:20 PM   #18
Taxidermist

I shot a woodchuck in the back yard a couple days ago with my contender 35 rem. That was fun and it saved the rest of my cucumber plants.
John
Old July 3, 2007, 08:51 PM   #19
crowbeaner

Gotta love that .35. I had a Marlin 336 in that caliber; I loved it. Sure hated to let it go but money got tight and I had a guy that gave me what I paid for it so down the road it went. I still have a couple hundred rounds of ammo for it. Maybe I can find someone to take it off my hands one of these days. If there is anything else I can help you out with give me a looksee.CB