The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 8, 2014, 08:51 PM   #26
Hal

Browning High Power....

What the hey........long after the initial sting is gone, you have one of the iconic guns in your hands.

To say nothing of the way they look, feel and shoot.

Go ahead and splurge a little..
Old February 8, 2014, 09:14 PM   #27
Worc

The PPX feels pretty good in my hand and everyone else that I know that’s held one. It’s not quite a comfortable as the PPQ’s, but it’s not adjustable either. They have pretty decent triggers. They are smooth and break pretty good and are not overly heavy. Accuracy is good as is the overall quality.

You also need to remember this model only cost just over $350.00. I'll recommend them all day for someone on a tighter budget.
Old February 8, 2014, 09:27 PM   #28
tahunua001

Quote:
Wow I'd really like to see some of the 'stories' about this phenomena; short of sticking your finger on the trigger and pulling same, it's pretty hard to imagine. It would seem to me that any DA pistol or revolver would be subject to the same scenario.

Quote:
I personally have read too many stories of guys whos glocks have gone off while still in the holsters because something went wrong to ever own one and carry it myself.
All in the interest of clarification...Rod
well here is one, the fellows holster broke down and the gun went off while entering his pickup truck.

Ruger has a manual safety, many M&Ps have safeties, Springfields have grip safeties, berettas have manual safeties, FN Herstals have manual safeties... all would have prevented this ND.
Old February 8, 2014, 09:42 PM   #29
laytonj1

Quote:
Ruger has a manual safety, many M&Ps have safeties, Springfields have grip safeties, berettas have manual safeties, FN Herstals have manual safeties... all would have prevented this ND.
Hard to imagine how millions of revolvers managed to last so many years moving in and out of holsters...

Jim
Old February 8, 2014, 09:47 PM   #30
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
well here is one, the fellows holster broke down and the gun went off while entering his pickup truck.

That's really a holster malfunction, not a gun malfunction. While the safeties would have prevented it if active, there are a lot of people out their who choose not to use the manual safeties on their carry guns for one reason or the other.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 8, 2014, 09:49 PM   #31
Uncle Malice

Quote:
You'll hear a million different replies, all favoring some make & model that is a copy of the Glock in one way or another, just keep in mind that none of those millions of choices are very likely to show up in the holsters of US special forces
Hrmph. You're new here, but you have much to learn.

My recommendation of the HK is 1) not at all a copy of a Glock and 2) quite likely to be seen in holsters of the US special forces (HK 45C and MK23 for example).

Why is it that you think any of the other models are copies of Glocks anyways? Glock was not the first polymer frame striker fired gun, HK was.
Old February 8, 2014, 10:02 PM   #32
Uncle Malice

Quote:
I'm new, and therefore my decades of experience are what, moot?
They are when the information you provide is incorrect.

Quote:
I'd not choose an HK over the Glock, and neither do the US special forces.
U.S. Navy Special Operations runs the HK 45 Compact Tactical.

USSOCOM runs the MK23.

US Border Patrol runs the HK P2000.
Old February 8, 2014, 10:17 PM   #33
Karrill

In an effort to diffuse the whole "Special Forces use this gun" debacle, I think its fair to point out that a LOT of handguns can be considered to be used by "special forces" within the US...

Beretta has the M9 / M9A1
SIG has the M11 (P228), and the Mk. 25 (P226)
HK has the Mk. 23 (USP like) and the HK45c
M1911-A1 and other 1911 types always seem to crop up
And of course, there are the standard Glocks that pop up too

the point is just that there are lots of branches / divisions of "special forces" and its not reasonable to make a blanket assumption that all, or even most, use a standard sidearm. Also, this is what is considered "standard issue" and may NOT actually be what the soldier / LEO actually carries as the sidearm of choice.

----

the the OPs question... glocks are solid, and definitely not a bad choice. I personally prefer DA/SA pistols, and for the price, Ill second the mention of the SIG SP2022... if you shop around, youll find it NIB for ~400. A great "introductory" gun to the SIG platform.

On the Walther note, I havent seen the P99AS mentioned. Its been a favorite of mine for a few years now. Superb trigger, ergonomics, and a great paddle style magazine release that works REALLY well for holster use (prevents unintended magazine dump). Theyre starting to pop back up here and there for around the 500 dollar mark. If you can find one, it should be an instant consideration.... besides, the striker fired "anti-stress" trigger is one of the coolest things Ive ever experienced in a pistol. Truly a DA/SA sensation. If you prefer a traditional striker fired gun, consider the Walther P99QA... which tends to be easier to track down than a PPQ M1, and is very similar in my opinion

ETA - youll find that the P99, while sometimes hard to find the gun itself, has NEVER had a shortage of aftermarket supplies and/or magazines. It is an incredibly popular gun with law enforcement in europe, so there ends up being a lot of parts overflow. Not as many as glock, but more than many companies.
Old February 8, 2014, 10:18 PM   #34
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Malice
Glock was not the first polymer frame striker fired gun, HK was.
It's true that the H&K VP70 was first, but the Glock was the first commercially-successful polymer framed pistol. And all the Glock borrowed from the VP70 was the polymer frame idea and the fact that it has a striker; everything else is completely different, even the way the striker is partially-cocked on the Glock and isn't on the VP70. Almost all of the striker-fired, polymer-framed pistols on the market today are directly influenced by the Glock design, not by the H&K VP70 design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Malice
Why is it that you think any of the other models are copies of Glocks anyways.
Because they are. The XD series, the M&P, the PPQ, the Ruger SR series; they're all directly influenced by the Glock design. Other than the fact that it had a polymer frame, none of these guns are anything like the VP70: Its striker was not pre-cocked, it had a fixed-barrel straight blowback design, it had a cross-bolt manual safety not a trigger safety, it had a European style heel magazine release, and the trigger pull was almost 20 lbs.
Old February 8, 2014, 10:28 PM   #35
Uncle Malice

Do we say that Ferrari's are copies of Ford because Ford made the first automobile? Or perhaps a closer comparison, do we say that the Dodge RAM is just a copy of the Ford pickup?

Glock might have been the first 'commercially successful' polymer striker gun - but that doesn't mean that the rest wouldn't have come about regardless. It's was just that time of technological advancement. Had Glock not come out when they did, Walther probably would have been the first.
Old February 8, 2014, 10:31 PM   #36
Cheapshooter

Quote:
So the owner using an obvious defective holster is the gun's failt?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 8, 2014, 11:18 PM   #37
tahunua001

as I stated, all it takes is something to get inside the trigger guard to make a negligent discharge a very imminent danger. the holster was not defective, it was worn out. that guy carried in that holster every day for more than a year before that happened. yes the holster was what pulled the trigger but my point from the very beginning was that the glock is the easiest gun for something like this to happen with because it does not have a safety other than what is disconnected by pulling the trigger. as for people choosing not to use their safeties, that is their perogative and without that they are just as likely as this poor fellow was to have such a ND, that is not a design flaw, that is a brain flaw.
Old February 8, 2014, 11:32 PM   #38
Radarcontact

I am one who doesn't like "bandwagon" items, so I wouldn't own a glock (or a honda accord). Both are great, I just don't want one.

That said, I like the FNX-9 or .40 as a choice for less than $600. If you get the .40 you can get a .357 SIG barrel for it and have two different calibers. I have the 9 and think its awesome, and it 100% ambidextrous (I'm a lefty).

I like the CZ 75 P-07

The Beretta Storm PX4 is a great shooting gun if you like sleeker lines.

There's three choices that are considered good shooting pistols (via publication's reviews) and aren't common.
Old February 8, 2014, 11:38 PM   #39
Karrill

Ill second that FNX option as well, though I generally consider it to be a little higher in price, and not necessarily a "budget" gun as much as an overall value gun.

My FNX is a nightstand gun, so thats gotta be worth something
Old February 9, 2014, 12:01 AM   #40
IMightBeWrong

Quote:
I'm new, and therefore my decades of experience are what, moot? BTW, I'd not choose an HK over the Glock, and neither do the US special forces.
Exactly what special forces units in the US use Glocks?

SEALs use the Mk23 and HK45 as well as the SIG P226. I have never once heard of SEALs using Glocks.

As mentioned earlier, USSOCOM uses HKs as well and the Border Patrol.

The Coast Guard uses SIG SP2022s.

I can't think of any US groups that use Glocks other than some police forces.

As a previous owner of 5 Glocks, the quality isn't there. They're not the tanks they're made out to be. They aren't bad either, but they aren't better than HKs or SIGs or even CZs, M&Ps, PPQs, and so on. The Glock is a great gun for the price. Just because you love Glocks doesn't mean that you need to get your ego wrapped up in your pistol of choice. Objectively speaking, Glock is building guns to a price point. HK, and many other companies, build their guns to the best possible standard and let the price reflect that.
Old February 9, 2014, 12:34 AM   #41
tahunua001

Quote:
As a previous owner of 5 Glocks, the quality isn't there. They're not the tanks they're made out to be. They aren't bad either, but they aren't better than HKs or SIGs or even CZs, M&Ps, PPQs, and so on. The Glock is a great gun for the price. Just because you love Glocks doesn't mean that you need to get your ego wrapped up in your pistol of choice. Objectively speaking, Glock is building guns to a price point. HK, and many other companies, build their guns to the best possible standard and let the price reflect that.
I wholeheartedly concur. I enjoy and prefer Springfield XDMs, but just because I like them does not mean that they are the greatest guns on the planet devoid of any flaws whatsoever and that any word spoken against them is blasphemy. same is true for all of the above named handguns.
Old February 9, 2014, 12:57 AM   #42
Cirdan

I have both the PX4 and a Glock 26. Both shoot well. The Glock is good for carry purposes, but the PX4 feels great in the hand and is a joy to shoot.
Old February 10, 2014, 09:30 AM   #43
loose_holster_dan

look at my signature line
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old February 10, 2014, 11:27 AM   #44
SoilworK777

+1 for the CZ-75. In my opinion, you get a lot of pistol for the $$$.
Old February 10, 2014, 11:48 AM   #45
IdahoG36

I picked up a used, like new condition Springfield XDm 9 3.8 with a CT green Laserguard and eight 19 round mags for $675. I have owned and shot a lot of 9mm pistols over the years, but this one has been my favorite.

It feels really well balanced with the slightly shorter slide and the full size grip. It has been 100% reliable for me now through 400 rounds, and it is very accurate.

A used Sig P226 or Beretta 92 would also be a good choice for DA/SA, along with the Glock 19, M&P 9, or Ruger SR9 for striker fired guns.
Old February 10, 2014, 09:33 PM   #46
Clipper

9MM

Here's another vote for the Ruger P-Series; P944DC, P93DC/P89M, P89DC, or even the polymer frame P95DC.

I think Remington's new fixed barrel R51 will be a great gun. It's basically a 9x19 Makarov, perfect.
Old February 10, 2014, 10:45 PM   #47
jimbob86

Quote:
Quote:

Hard to imagine how millions of revolvers managed to last so many years moving in and out of holsters...
Without safeties? ..... Not hard to imagine at all:

On the DA guns, the safety was the long 8lb+ trigger pull.

On SA's it was the fact the hammer was not cocked until the user was ready to fire ..... and quite often, the hammer was down on an empty chamber.
Old February 10, 2014, 11:07 PM   #48
Ricklin

Dire straights

If dire straights ever require me to dispose of handguns for cash??........My G-19 is not leaving, or it would be the very last to go.

Perfection?? Nah.......and it annoys me that Glock has built a marketing campaign around the word. Perfection would imply no room for improvement. No matter how good something is...........there is always room.

But.........damn good nonetheless.
Old February 11, 2014, 03:00 AM   #49
DannyB1954

Ruger SR9C. I first bought the SR9, liked it so well that I bought the SR9C. If you don't live in a communist state, the 9C also comes with the longer 17 round magazine that makes it into about the same size as a full size SR9, (hand grip anyway, the barrel will be a tad shorter). Soft shooter. Fits my hand well. is thinner in the grip than most of the other double stackers.

Hard to beat the price for such a reliable accurate gun, ( I paid under $400)

Last edited by DannyB1954; February 11, 2014 at 03:06 AM.
Old February 12, 2014, 02:02 PM   #50
Cheapshooter

Quote:
the holster was not defective, it was worn out
Now that's a classic!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!