The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 27, 2012, 07:26 AM   #1
rebs

shell catcher for the AR 15 ?

I have seen a couple different ones advertised, do any of them actually work or are they more bother than they are worth ? As a reloader it sure would be easier than hunting for your spent casings.
Old April 27, 2012, 08:18 AM   #2
kraigwy

I have a hard plastic one (forgot the Brand, its out in the shop). It goes under the carrying handle and pops down on the ridge above the action.

It works great. You never know its there when you're shooting (assuming you're right handed because it hangs on the right side of the rifle).

It doesn't interfere with your positions (I shoot NRA/CMP positions, Standing, and using the sling in sitting and prone).

I've had this since the mid 80s and have never had empty brass causing a jam.

When practicing I normally empty it between strings (meaning 10-20 rounds) but it will hold 50+. I don't know the + part, but I have shot a full 50 round HP course (10 standing 10 setting rapid, 10 prone rapid, 20 slow fire) without emptying it.

I don't know about the bag types, haven't used them but mine works great. Don't know if I would want a bag of brass swinging around under the rifle while I'm shooting, mine is ridged.

Later I'll get a picture of it hanging on the rifle.

Sure is nice when shooting in the snow.

I use it on both my SP1 (M16a1 style) and my White Oak Upper (M16a2 style).

Don't know how it would work on a flat top, I don't have one.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 27, 2012, 08:56 AM   #3
rebs

Kraig
I sure would appreciate the name of your shell catcher if possible. It sounds like you have a good one.
Old April 27, 2012, 09:00 AM   #4
TMD

I picked up a cheap net type one from a gunshow for like $10 or so. It works great and as a left handed shooter it doesn't get in the way.
Old April 27, 2012, 11:42 AM   #5
kraigwy

Rebs I found it, apparently they still make them:

http://elmfg.com/store/brasscatcher.html

Well worth the money.

Here it is. Notice the clip on the left side that slides down on the ridge above the reciever below the carrying handle.

The second picture is it on my Service Rifle. When you're shooting the rifle you never see it or even know its there. (Except when you go to hunting up brass). Main thing, unlike the net brass catchers you don't have it swinging underneith you, screwing up your "steady hold".

Old April 27, 2012, 02:32 PM   #6
chrisflhtc

Here is a good place for them also the country shed
Old April 27, 2012, 07:52 PM   #7
Toolman

Had a mesh bag for 8yrs & never noticed it until I got 40 rnds in the catcher, then it got slightly heavy on the side. Mesh catcher is easy to unload, easy to attach & won't mark my rifle.
The hard case catchers advertise they can hold 60 rnds...I think you'd notice that weight. Do they mark the rifles finish?
Old April 27, 2012, 08:24 PM   #8
kraigwy

Quote:
Do they mark the rifles finish?
I've been using mine since the 80s and they haven't marked up my gun yet.

The plastic is a lot softer then the rifle.

My Match AR weights 13 pounds, I don't normally get enough brass to notice the weight. I have tried the bag and did notice it swinging back and forth.

Kind of distracting, especially in the off hand position.
Old April 28, 2012, 06:24 AM   #9
rebs

My Match AR weights 13 pounds,

and I thought 8.5 pounds was heavy..........lol
Old April 28, 2012, 07:17 AM   #10
Ronbo1

This is the one I have with metal mounting pins they no longer make the clamp on over the top AR catcher. I really like it for PD shooting, model for 223 or 308 caliber AR15

http://elmfg.com/store/univbc.html
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves

Abraham Lincoln
Old April 28, 2012, 11:56 AM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Somewhat relevant improvisation

I shot prone from inside my 4x4 yesterday. I used a huge cardboard box to keep the shells from bouncing into the glass.
Old April 28, 2012, 09:43 PM   #12
Toolman

Here's my varmint rifle. 24" Wilson bull barrel. Yeah, it's heavy but shoots great off stix or bipod. It weighs 14.0 lbs without the bipod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR-15 Varminter1.jpg (244.7 KB, 38 views)
Old April 29, 2012, 05:50 AM   #13
rebs

Thank you for all the replies, I appreciate it. Now all I have to do is decide which one. The hard plastic one seems to be the better setup
Old May 1, 2012, 01:51 PM   #14
rbernie

I have been told that the E&L model with the Picatinny-mounted tabs can interfere with optic mounting. Dunno for sure, and it would be helpful (to me) to hear folk with first hand experience with the rigid ones talk about any mounting limitations...

Right now, I use a $8 Caldwell mesh bag that straps around the handguard delta ring/float tube, and it works, eh, well enough during casual offhand shooting. It can cause the occasionally stoppage if it's not over the ejection port 'just so', due to brass bouncing back into the receiver.
Old May 1, 2012, 03:12 PM   #15
Lemmon

elmfg.com

Thumbs Up kraigwy,

I bought two of these a year ago and have not regretted it. Good product and it does the job it is intended to do with no trouble.

Well worth the money........

http://elmfg.com/store/brasscatcher.html

Lemmon
Old May 2, 2012, 06:48 AM   #16
Ronbo1

rbernie, I use the EL rigid flat top model with the two metal mounting studs on the picanny flat top. The mounting studs fit between the extra high scope rings I use with a Weaver V16 riflescope. A one piece scope mount or long riser would not work but two extra high rings work great with the catcher.

http://elmfg.com/store/univbc.html

Picture of the catcher in a dog town

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves

Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Ronbo1; May 2, 2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old June 21, 2012, 09:58 AM   #17
rebs

I have a removable carry handle that I sometimes have on and sometimes off. Does anyone know if this plastic catcher work both ways ?
Old June 21, 2012, 12:46 PM   #18
a7mmnut

I cut the handle off of a trout net and mounted it through a heavy 3" block of channel iron with one screw. It sits beside the autos and works well, handguns too!

-7-
Old June 21, 2012, 02:17 PM   #19
gearchecker

Tarps work well too.

I just lay out an 8' x 12' tarp to catch all my brass.
It cost me $2.00 on sale at Harbor freight. you can get them anywhere, even Kmart and WalMart
I don't concern myself with messing with any brass till I'm done. I just fold it in half and dump the spent casings into a cardboard box for the drive home.
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old June 29, 2012, 09:16 PM   #20
zippy13

Any ideas?

As Murphy's Law would have it, I spotted this tread just after I'd ordered a UTG mesh bag catcher.

Perviously I'd used a simple fabric bag that I draped through the carry handle of my Colt Match HBAR. It worked great, but would cause stove pipes about 5% of the time.

I like gearchecker's idea of a big tarp; but, it would cover several adjacent shooting position, and the club's rangemasters frown on such things.

Getting back to the UTG bag -- it had great reviews; but, some shooters said it had to be properly adjusted. Of course, following Murphy's Law, there were no instructions included. I've tried it twice and both times it's been a dismal failure. If set on the high side, the brass is dropped out the gap at the bottom. If set low, it tosses the brass over the top.

It seems the bag wants to be tighter against the action; but, before I put a dog-leg in the mounting wire I thought I see if y'alls have any other ideas. Perhaps there's something obvious that I'm missing.

In hindsight, I should have got one of those boxes like Cap'n Kraig has.
Old June 30, 2012, 07:33 AM   #21
rebs

A friend gave me one of the caldwell bags because he couldn't get it to work. I cut a section out of a plastic milk jug and taped it in the mouth of the bag to keep the bag from folding down and closing the mouth. It has been working great. I gave it back to him and now he loves it. It catches every case with no problems.