The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 25, 2011, 06:16 PM   #1
tahunua001

AR10 suited for ELK?

hello all. this is going to be one of those posts. I have an AR15 that is a deer slayer at surprising distances(even though 80 percent of the guys I've seen on these threads say the 223 is only suited for close range varminting). I am hoping to get into elk and bear hunting and I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 300WTBY but I'm not really a fan of it. I love my AR15 so I was considering building myself a nice AR10. just one question. would you guys trust a .308 to drop an elk or bear at say 200-400 yards?
Old July 25, 2011, 06:20 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Shot placement is everything.

BTW, if you're talking black bear, I believe the 7.62 mm Nato is good enough. I won't try it on Griz (unless it's a belt fed MG-3).
Old July 25, 2011, 06:46 PM   #3
tahunua001

we only have like 10 grizzlies in my state...so long answer short YES I will be hunting black bear
Old July 25, 2011, 09:10 PM   #4
FrontSight

YES, but it is going to HEAVY to lug around up & down those mountains, believe you me. Get yourself a bolt or lever action if you can & your arms, legs, neck, shoulders & back will thank you.

Personally, I'd opt for a one of those compact magnums that came a few years ago...
Old July 25, 2011, 10:41 PM   #5
Wyosmith

A 308 Winchester with any GOOD tough 180 grain bullet is all the round you'll ever need for elk. What rifle you fire it from is of no matter.

AR10s are heavy, but if you don't mind that, and AR10 is as good an elk rifle as any, as long as the rifle is reliable. Many are not.
Be sure you get one that works and DON'T accept on that doesn't.
Old July 26, 2011, 10:26 AM   #6
tahunua001

for me, deer hunting is done in almost the same terrain as elk so I dont imagine that the AR10 would be that much of a step up from packing my ar15. granted I'm probably going to use a build that focuses more on accuracy than space/weight conservation but it should be no more than 2 pounds more so it might just take a few "test trips" packing it around the bush to get me used to the added weight.
Old July 26, 2011, 10:58 AM   #7
Jason_G

If .30-06 can do it, there's no reason .308 shouldn't be able to. Pretty similar ballistics.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old July 26, 2011, 11:34 AM   #8
FrontSight

Quote:
for me, deer hunting is done in almost the same terrain as elk so I dont imagine that the AR10 would be that much of a step up from packing my ar15. granted I'm probably going to use a build that focuses more on accuracy than space/weight conservation but it should be no more than 2 pounds more so it might just take a few "test trips" packing it around the bush to get me used to the added weight.
If you can do it then more power to ya, but after hauling around a stock armalite AR-10 with a 3x9 scope and a harris bipod for about 2 hours a couple of years ago on a leisurely hunt through slightly hilly (mowed!) grassy terrain on a tactical 3 point sling, I sure know that I would not want to do that ever again. Sure the bipod added a bit of weight, but it was only for a couple of hours, and it wasn't even tough terrain...
Old July 26, 2011, 01:00 PM   #9
Buzzcook

If the rifle is accurate enough and you can make the shot, then the AR-10 will be fine. .308 is also fine.
Old July 26, 2011, 07:55 PM   #10
GeauxTide

With the 300 WBY, you have a premier cartridge for anything in the 48.
Old July 27, 2011, 07:05 AM   #11
LSnSC

If you go with a 20" barrel, you're going to end up with a 12-15 lb rifle. Ive got an AR-10A4 and even with nothing but a scope, mount, and a 5 round mag its still a 12 lb rifle. If I was going to be humping up and down mountains searching for elk, Id carry my Model 7 instead. If you want to build one, go for it!. But, IMO theyre not very practical hunting rifles, due to the excessive weight. I carry mine to a shooting house overlooking a bean field and prop it in the corner.
Old July 27, 2011, 10:33 AM   #12
HiBC

A 308 is fine,though you said 2-4 hundred yards.I suggest you look at the bullet mfg'rs specs for the velocity range it is designed to work with.If your bullet rquires 2000 fps to perform,then I would use that as one factor in determining the longer range.You might look more at 300 for your outside range on an elk.
I own a DPMS LR308L.Its about as light as the 308 pattern comes.It would work just fine as a hunting rifle,but no scope or accessories,its 8 lbs.Scoped and loaded,closer to 10 lbs.
I have a Mauser actioned 30-06 in a Garrett Accralite stock with a Walther #2 contour bbl that will come in about 7 1/2 lbs scoped and loaded.I know which one I would leave home if I was walking up and down at 8000 ft.
But,if you just want to do it,an AR-10 will hunt just fine.
Old July 28, 2011, 12:53 AM   #13
Kestrel4k

What is the twist rate for the AR-10? If it's on the slow side, 180grs might be out, 165gr's might then be the ticket with regards to stabilization.
Old August 4, 2011, 02:10 PM   #14
Tomas

I actually hunt elk with a .308, so it'll work. I have an AP4 and M1A and I've hunted with both of them as well. Maybe it's because I was in the infantry, but the weight of a rifle is something I've never noticed while hunting: even going up and down those monsters in Idaho. No matter what rifle, I don't think you'll really notice the weight that much.

Twist rates for .308 semis are usually 1:10 so any bullet weight for elk will be fine. It's actually not even worth a second thought. My Weatherby Vanguard, which is my primary elk rifle, has a 1:12 twist, but I've shot elk past 250 yards with 220gr Partition handloads - and this twist rate supposedly won't stabilize a bullet that long and heavy. Ah - maybe at 500 yards that bullet starts to wobble, but at 500 yards I'm not using a .308 for elk anyways. MY PMIs taught me a lot about ballistics at sniper school in Quantico, and at typical hunting ranges of 300 yards and less, twist rate is pretty much a non-factor.

When hunting elk with semis, because of the shorter barrels, I like to get a lighter, faster, deep penetrating bullet. Normally, I use 150gr or 165 gr Barnes or Failsafe, whereas in my Weatherby bolt, I usually use a 180gr Failsafe or Partition Gold.

Good luck and have fun