The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 28, 2010, 08:49 PM   #1
craig2724

Remington 870 Classic Trap

I have been wanting to try trap without spending a lot of money on a gun but yet not wanting to use a cheap gun and shoot worse than I all ready do.

A local gun shop/range was getting out of the retail business and had a 50% off sale, even on guns. I was able to pick up a brand new Remington 870 Classic trap for $450 + tax. I figured I couldn't go wrong.

What are your thoughts on this gun as a beginner trap gun. I have only shot trap once.

Thanks
Old July 28, 2010, 10:00 PM   #2
zippy13

Good starter gun.
You didn't mention how much shotgunning experience you have, so I'll assume little: Now, go out and pattern it with someone (like the club pro) who knows about stock fit. After your stock fit is verified, take some lessons. It will save you hours and $$$ learning the fundamentals by trial and error. Coached in the basics and with a proper fitting trap specific gun, you'll be pleased by a steep learning curve. We should be hearing of your first 25-straight in the not to distant future.
Congratulations and good luck
Old July 28, 2010, 10:12 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good starter gun, as Zippy said. DO get someone who knows to check POI at the patterning board, get the fit right and BA/UU/R.....
Old July 31, 2010, 10:44 PM   #4
olddrum1

I believe you got a deal on your CT. Good luck with the 870.