The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 19, 2015, 10:59 PM   #1
dlbarr

1858 Pietta fix...

Several months ago I completely disassembled my brass framed Pietta in order to clean it up and make some cosmetic and other external mods to it. I draw filed the barrel, reshaped the brass grip frame & grips, cut a dovetail for a front sight. No modifications were made to the internal workings of this gun. Just cleaned up and put back together and it had been working flawlessly prior to disassembly.

Upon reassembly, the mainspring seems to have lost a great deal of tension as the hammer cocks & falls very lightly. It will pop a cap, but not consistently. I have adjusted the tension screw in a variety of settings etc. This is not the first time I've torn this gun down & rebuilt it although I've never installed any new parts as it has functioned just fine until now. I find it difficult to believe that the mainspring has become faulty during this period of rebuilding.

What am I missing here?
Old July 20, 2015, 09:05 PM   #2
Tidewater_Kid

I had that happen once. I took it back apart and tried again and it work fine the second time. I have seen some very good Youtube videos on dis-assembly and reassembly.

TK
Old July 20, 2015, 11:58 PM   #3
dlbarr

Yeah, unfortunately for me, TK, I've had it apart, back together, apart etc etc...and it still don't work right...