The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 3, 2012, 12:51 PM   #1
iraiam

1000 rounds through my LCR .357

Well, I have over 1000 rounds fired through my LCR 357 magnum now, I like it, it's my primary carry piece so I should be proficient with it.

The only issue (non issue) I have had with it was due to cleanliness, I will usually fire at least 50 rounds of "target loads" and then finish off with 10-20 of my carry loads. My target loads are not light, it's a 158 grain cast semi wadcutter w/gas check that runs about 1200 fps.

When shooting this much of the target ammo through it, I start to get a coating of bullet lube which will gum up the cylinder where it spins, I can feel the trigger pull get harder after firing this much lead ammunition, I have also got pretty proficient at cleaning it.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; December 3, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old December 3, 2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Nanuk

I am glad you like it.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 4, 2012, 01:09 AM   #3
warningshot

Is the lube the 1950's offical NRA wet type, or is it the mid 1980s hard crayon type that is pressure formed in the bullet grooves?

The 1950s lube tends to leave a star like pattern on the muzzel crown and is real easy to clean. The 80s hard krayon type lube is what is left behind and is a PITB to clean, and is often mistaken for leading.
Old December 5, 2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Dave T

I shot practical pistol competition with a revolver for a couple years back in the '90s. When using cast bullets I learned to run a chamber brush through each chamber between stages (every 18-36 rounds) and to also use a stiff brush to clean the face of the cylinder, the breech end of the barrel and the recoil shield (particularly around the firing pin bushing). This took a few minutes and kept the revolver running trouble free for the 100 to 150 rounds fired during the course of a match day.

Dave
Old December 5, 2012, 10:20 PM   #5
iraiam

Quote:
Is the lube the 1950's offical NRA wet type, or is it the mid 1980s hard crayon type that is pressure formed in the bullet grooves?
It' the harder type that is forced into the grooves in a sizer/luber, "50% alox 2138f lubricant, 50% high temperature wax", I have never had any leading with it. I only have 2 sticks of it left so it may be time for something different?

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason