The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2006, 08:28 PM   #1
Ammo Junky

Ranier bullets crimp?

I am loading 480 ruger with ranier 325 hp. They shoot better than anything else, but they do slip out of the case some with recoil. This doesn't seem to hurt accuracy, but it bugs me. Anyone ever roll crimp plated bullets?
Old May 5, 2006, 09:06 PM   #2
l z rifle

I use ranier 200gr 45acp, start with a empty case & no primer. start the roll crimp lighty on the bullet & case, take it out put your thumb on the bottom of case and push on a hard surface. If it moves used a little more until it stops moving. hope this helps.
Old May 5, 2006, 09:45 PM   #3
HSMITH

I hate to do it, but the Lee Factory Crimp die is a good choice here. It will LIGHTLY roll the case into the bullet, and you can control it well enough to not break the plating. Not a big fan of the FCD but in this case it works well.
Old May 5, 2006, 10:10 PM   #4
Lycanthrope

The Rainier is pretty much all I shoot for USPSA. I use the diameter of the bullet plus twice the diameter of the case wall. Crimping into the bullet never seemed to help much.

I'd start there and go deeper as necessary. Even if you would break the plating, I can't see a leading problem developing.........

Can you get an undersize sizing die for the .480?
Old May 6, 2006, 08:58 AM   #5
MADISON

RANIER bullet crimp

For about 7+ years I have used a TAPER CRIMP on my 38 Special/357 Magnum, 41 Magnum, 44 Magnum and 45 ACP loadings. RANIER bullets do not have crimps? If you can get the bullets to "stay put" use a good strong taper crimp.
Old May 6, 2006, 12:03 PM   #6
newbloader

Loading the rainier bullets

How do you all load these do you load them as a FMJ or TMJ or I forgot where I saw but I think I read some where that you load them as a cast bullet because they are so soft?? Have 2000 coming in soon and I was wondering whether to load these as a cast or a fmj for the powder information. Right now im loading a Zero cast 230 grn. @ 5.2 for 45acp. just wanted to see what you all have to say about the loads for the rainier bullets thanks

Joey
Old May 6, 2006, 12:23 PM   #7
Lycanthrope

Load them like cast bullets to start. They take less powder than jacketed bullets to reach the same velocity.

Madison, I can't speak for the .480, but the .40 and .45 do not have a cannelure to crimp into.
Old May 6, 2006, 03:57 PM   #8
newbloader

Thats what I had figured thanks for replying to my question. just wanted to make sure. Thanks again

Joey