The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 4, 2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Sf045

Anyone from IL applies for FL and/or AZ CCW ?

Hello again,

I have a question to anyone by chance who apply for IL CCW did apply for either Florida or Arizona CCW license and if you guys received your licenses already from those states ? Looks like it takes for ever, I have send out completed application 6-7 weeks ago and still nothing in the mail... IL resident.

Please share.
Thank you much.
Old April 4, 2014, 09:43 PM   #2
herb40

florida ccw

It took me about 10 weeks to get A Florida carry.
Old April 4, 2014, 09:56 PM   #3
oldcabin

License plates for your car take months to get in Illinois.
Old April 4, 2014, 10:51 PM   #4
Beagle45ACP

I'm still leery about even getting the IL ccw, so I'm not in any hurry to get permits that won't help me in this state.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old April 5, 2014, 07:27 AM   #5
wayneinFL

Florida is often close to the 90 day limit if you mail it in, especially if they're busy. (At 1.2 million permit holders, they probably are.) Applying in person with electronic fingerprints usually gets it done within a few weeks from what I understand.
Old April 5, 2014, 12:56 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Sf045 - I'm just curious - you mention applying for a AZ CCW. Are you in AZ part-time?

I have a home south of Tucson and am there in the winter and in Michigan during the summer. I have a CCW permit for both states - but had to take the "approved" classes in each state as well.

AZ changed their CCW laws a couple of years ago - a CCW is not required in AZ - BUT - the rules for carry differ if you go through the process of getting an AZ CCW. Example: If you do not have a CCW, you cannot carry in to a bar - period. If you do, you can, BUT, you cannot consume alcohol. There are other differences as well.

The last I was aware of - in order to qualify for an AZ CCW, you had to attend a state approved course in AZ- an eight to 9 hour course including range qualification. I obtained mine two years ago - it also included submitting fingerprints and palm prints as well as the normal criminal background check. The paperwork was sent in along with my $60 and I received it back in about two weeks.

in MI, I had to complete the state approved course there as well as range time. The usual fingerprinting, background check and about a two week wait for me in my county - the "gun board" who reviews applications and approves / rejects meets once a month so it depends on date of your application and when they meet. Although MI recognizes AZ CCWs, I got it as it makes purchasing handguns in MI a little easier as far as being pre-approved for background check.

In AZ - even though you have a AZ CCW permit - if you are not a "resident", you cannot purchase a handgun without having a "State Identification Card". (since your driver's license would be for the state of residence - in my case, MI). A state ID is easily acquired through the AZ DMV office - once in hand, no questions asked when presented with the CCW permit and state ID.

From your post, I'm assuming you are in AZ and IL? If not in FL or AZ, at least part time, I'm not understanding how you would obtain a CCW for those states? If you are - you might give a call to the AZ Dept. of Public Safety and check on your CCW. I was surprised when I got mine back from them so quickly. If you have a place/mailing address in AZ - the possibility is that it may have been returned to the Dept. of Public Safety and not "forwarded" by the Post Office to you where you are now. I speak from experience on that - I just had to get several copies of 1099 forms that were supposed to be forwarded to me in AZ but instead, were returned. I don't remember how the envelope is marked on the AZ CCW license - but it may be that if it is not deliverable at your address (even though your mail is being forwarded) that it is returned to them. The CCW License for AZ does not have your photo on it so if it falls in to the wrong hands, I suppose it could be used for identity theft?

I know IL passed their CCW license - it would be nice to hear from those in IL as to how that is going? Not "bad mouthing" any state - but IL is one that I am very "leery" of - especially until all the CCW rules, etc. are understood by everyone - i.e. LE, etc. I still haven't found out if they are recognizing CCW licenses from other states?

Good luck to you!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 5, 2014, 01:53 PM   #7
Beagle45ACP

Quote:
I know IL passed their CCW license - it would be nice to hear from those in IL as to how that is going? Not "bad mouthing" any state - but IL is one that I am very "leery" of - especially until all the CCW rules, etc. are understood by everyone - i.e. LE, etc. I still haven't found out if they are recognizing CCW licenses from other states?
By all means, don't stop yourself. I live here and bad mouth this place all the time regarding our gun laws, corrupt politicians, and baseball teams.
What you stated above is exactly why I'm not in any hurry to get my ccw. For one, the places where you can't carry seem to far outnumber where you can. Secondly, while I live in the southern part of the state and the cops down here (or at least the ones that I've met) are more pro-gun than those in other parts of the state, I don't want to meet the anti-gun ones who are ignorant to how the law actually works.
And to answer your question - no, I don't believe they are reciprocating with other states because no other states' requirements are as stringent as ours (we have to have 16 hours of training courses, basically double what all other states are). However, you can obtain an out-of-state carry permit if you want to spend the $ on the classes here in IL (not sure how much those run) and if you're willing to spend the $300 (as opposed to the $150 for a resident) for the application fee.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old April 6, 2014, 04:43 PM   #8
Sf045

Update

Ok just to explain little bit more my situation.

I live in Illinois and have pass the 16 hours training required by law for ccw license in Illinois and I was told by instructor that the traing which I have attend to is accepted by Arizona and Florida states to issue ccw license for those states,. I have never lived in any of those states. I asked for application and they send it to me along with fingerprint forms and all information how to fill out and what fee is necessary to pay for. And to be honest I haven't hear from anyone from Illinois who would receive the license from those two states, so that's why I would like to get more info and some update on this matter from anyone who knows more than I do.

Thank you much for all information you guys sharing with us here, it is greatly appreciated and welcomed, I think lots of people will use this as information bridge between social media and government.

Thanks,
Old April 6, 2014, 10:00 PM   #9
Beagle45ACP

Once we see how things work out here with the new law, I'm definitely going to get my carry permit. After that, I don't see why I wouldn't at least get the FL permit as that is accepted in 30+ other states, should I find myself doing some traveling. However, I'm a little confused as to why you're interested in getting the AZ permit.

Old April 6, 2014, 10:47 PM   #10
wayneinFL

Quote:
And to answer your question - no, I don't believe they are reciprocating with other states because no other states' requirements are as stringent as ours (we have to have 16 hours of training courses, basically double what all other states are). However, you can obtain an out-of-state carry permit if you want to spend the $ on the classes here in IL (not sure how much those run) and if you're willing to spend the $300 (as opposed to the $150 for a resident) for the application fee.
Not only are they not reciprocating with other states, but you can't even spend the $300 on an out of state permit unless you are one of the states they recognize. That's right- if you live in a state "substantially similar" not only does it not reciprocate, but you must still go through IL training and pay the $300 for their permit. And the only states they approve are HI and SC. Residents of the other 47 states need not apply.

And this is why I don't go to IL and spend my money.

Quote:
NON-RESIDENTS

In accordance with 430 ILCS 66/40 (b), out of state residents may be eligible for an Illinois Concealed Carry License if your state meets the definition of substantially similar as established by rule. See 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.10. Currently, the states identified below have been determined to have laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under Illinois’ law; and, therefore, may apply for an Concealed Carry License. This list will be updated as additional states are identified as substantially similar. Further Information concerning the regulations for non-resident applications can be found at 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.110.

Hawaii
South Carolina

Other requirements if your state meets the substantially similarly definition:

16 hours of Concealed Carry firearms training provided by an ISP approved Instructor.
An electronic copy of a valid concealed carry license from my home state.
Electronic Copy of my training certificate(s). You will be required to upload your electronic certificate during the application process.
A head and shoulder electronic photograph taken within the last 30 days.
An Illinois Digital I.D.

Java will be required for all of these computer functions to work correctly. To find out if you have the current Java click on this link and then click on “verify java version” to find out if you have Java. AGAIN – YOU MUST HAVE JAVA LOADED ON YOUR PC.

Visit the Illinois Digital ID website to obtain a digital ID.

NOTE: If you have questions, visit the Illinois Digital ID website FAQ page or call the Central Management Services Help Desk at 1-866-465-9119 for assistance with the Digital ID. Questions regarding the Concealed Carry License application process should be directed to the Illinois State Police at 217-782-7980.
A Valid Driver’s License or State Identification card.
Be able to provide the last ten years of residency.
A notarized affidavit documenting the applicant’s eligibility under both state and federal laws, the understanding of the laws pertaining to possession and transport of firearms, acknowledgment the applicant is subject to the jurisdiction of the Illinois State Police and the Illinois courts and that the applicant meets the mental health standards in Illinois to obtain a firearm.
$300.00 payable with a credit card or electronic check.
Old April 7, 2014, 06:12 PM   #11
Beagle45ACP

Ahh, thank you for the clarification Wayne. I was under the (apparently misguided) assumption that it was good for non residents, not "non-residents of IL, but only if these non-residents are residents of certain other states."
But given which state we're talking about, I'm not at all surprised.

Old April 8, 2014, 09:28 PM   #12
reap

Both

I have my Il license now... Got it last week. Sent it in the paperwork the last week of January. Sent for my Florida in mid December and got it last week as well.
Old April 8, 2014, 09:40 PM   #13
dsa1115

I mailed applications for my Illinois, Florida, Utah and Arizona CCW's on February 18th, and Arizona was the winner. Received my Arizona CCW yesterday, April 7th. Still waiting for the Illinois, Florida and Utah.

Tags
ccw , conceal carry , illinois residents