The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 20, 2018, 09:01 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The .45-70's used after the rifled musket was replaced also packed tremendous stopping power. Only problem was ammo capacity and speed of reloading in combat.
You're missing the obvious point about the ammo capacity and speed of reloading in combat. It wasn't the "only" problem, it wasn't a problem AT ALL.

when the other guy and you share the universal capacity (one shot) its not a problem. And when you have a breech loader, and he has a muzzle loader, not only do you have a blazing reloads speed advantage, you also have the huge tactical advantage of being able to reload while lying down!!

When your tech is cutting edge (and it works, ) its always an advantage. When the other guys tech surpasses yours, THEN its a problem, but not until then.
Old November 20, 2018, 10:30 PM   #27
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
The problem there is the aspect of "hypothetically." When has there been longer and shorter rifles where everything else was equal?

In this case, not only is it not going to be equal, but the military is expecting higher performance which will introduce a lot more unequal aspects.

Oh absolutely. My main thought was in that if you could squeeze the same performance and reliability out of a Bull pup. OFor the same overall length you get a longer barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 21, 2018, 02:50 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

The downsides to a bullpup are balance, the long trigger linkage, and having the action close to your face.

As far as I can tell, the original bullpups were bolt action varmint rifles, where one either got a handy short rifle with a full length barrel or made a near regular length bullpup rifle with an extra long barrel for added velocity.

Trigger pulls were normally not as good as was achievable with conventional bolt guns, due to the linkage involved. Still good enough for hunting, when done well though.

The bullpup concept doesn't work quite as well for a combat rifle, while the short overall length with a standard length barrel is a huge plus, with a semi/select fire combat weapon, there are drawbacks. Do they overcome the advantages? some say yes, some no.

Short is handy is so many ways, but with the bulk of the mass not being "between the hands" some find it awkward. The answer to this is, of course, training. Personally since I'm well past the point of combat, don't do houseclearing, don't climb in and out of APCs all day, I'll stick with my full size M1A for a "service" rifle.

Plus, while I don't expect my rifle to "ka boom" for me its a little comforting to know that should disaster happen, its going to happen a few inches in front of my face, and not pressed against my right cheek!
Old November 21, 2018, 07:14 PM   #29
dakota.potts

Seems to me that the idea of a rifle is going to have to be re-thought to meet those requirements.

125 grains at 3500 FPS is remarkable, especially in a 16" barrel. By comparison, a full rifle length 7mm rem mag shoots 139 gr bullet around 3200 FPS.

Even if they could get what they wanted, how many people would even be able to shoot a whole magazine through an infantry weight rifle before the recoil became excessive?

I believe we will have to advance our chemical composition of propellants before anything like this is a reality. That means advancements in metallurgy and engineering to handle the pressures involved.

And how we deal with the recoil and keep the whole thing in a cartridge that isn't the size of a belted magnum is another issue.
Old November 21, 2018, 08:01 PM   #30
Dano4734

I see now they are considering those plastic cases bullets without any brass. I forget what they are called
Old November 21, 2018, 09:54 PM   #31
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano4734 View Post
I see now they are considering those plastic cases bullets without any brass. I forget what they are called
Polymer.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 24, 2018, 10:46 AM   #32
Bartholomew Roberts

Anybody want to volunteer to test a bullpup in a cartridge with probably 80-100k psi chamber pressures?
Old November 24, 2018, 11:08 AM   #33
Double Naught Spy

Sure. You just need to have the appropriate thickness barrel to go with it is all. Of course, that is going to add weight, or maybe they are using some sort of new barrel material to go with the new cartridge? After all, how is it going to retain accuracy so well as well.

So many new things. No doubt there are going to be significant hurdles and setbacks in development.