The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 21, 2018, 07:00 PM   #1
Prof Young

22 longs?

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if anyone ever sees 22 longs (not long rifles) on the shelves out there. I see short occasionally and usually grab a few for use when teaching the kids, but I can't think of the last time I saw a 22 long in a store.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old November 21, 2018, 08:13 PM   #2
kenny53

I don't remember but I think it was back in the 60's
Old November 21, 2018, 08:39 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

SGAMMO stocks it.

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rimfi...n/22-long-ammo
Old November 21, 2018, 10:03 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I have been able to find it on-line but I haven't seen it on the shelves in stores for better than thirty years. Maybe more.
Old November 21, 2018, 10:36 PM   #5
natman

CCI still makes it, Midway and others stock it. CCI also makes a CB Long.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/produ...=5&loadNo=0029

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/produ...=3&loadNo=0038
Old November 21, 2018, 10:51 PM   #6
berettaprofessor

Cabelas had some the last time I noticed.
Old November 22, 2018, 01:00 AM   #7
johnm1

The Sportsman’s Warehouse in Mesa AZ has carried it on the shelf for years.

Trivia: What firearms company is credited with developing the 22 LR? And what is the difference between a 22 Long and a.22 Long Rifle?
Old November 22, 2018, 03:22 AM   #8
Scorch

Quote:
What firearms company is credited with developing the 22 LR?
J Stevens Arms
Quote:
And what is the difference between a 22 Long and a.22 Long Rifle?
22 Long has a 29 grain projectile, while the 22 Long Rifle has a 40 gr bullet as the standard projectile. They share the same case. 22 Long Rifle was named for its intended purpose (rifle ammunition), giving us the 22 Long and the 22 Long for rifle or Long Rifle. Having a heavier bullet, 22 Long Rifle required a faster rifling twist than the 22 Long, so it did not catch on immediately since it required buying a new firearm.
Old November 22, 2018, 04:13 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

The last time I saw .22 Long was roughly mid-2008. ...Maybe early 2009.
Old November 22, 2018, 12:11 PM   #10
North East Redneck

I've never seen them in a store around here.
CCI cb shorts at Walmart, otherwise only LR.
Old November 22, 2018, 01:16 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
22 Long Rifle was named for its intended purpose (rifle ammunition), giving us the 22 Long and the 22 Long for rifle or Long Rifle.
We speak in a fairly sloppy fashion today, though we used to write beautifully.

I believe it's correct, that it was, originally ".22 Long, rifle" or .22Long (rifle)..

I also think this is also how we got ".45 Long Colt" into our vocabulary. Not from the maker's official name, but from the commonly used name, when being bought over the counter. "give me a box of .45 longs, ..Colt..." is the kind of phrase I would expect to hear, which, over time became .45 Long Colt.
(sorry, no proof, just my theory)

And a few makers, put the "popular" name on their product. So, you can find (a few) boxed of .45 Colt, marked .45 Long Colt. Likewise, at least one gunmaker lists their magazines as "clips". They know full well that they are magazines, not clips, but they list them as clips so the customers who call them clips will find them, and buy then.

The .22 Long uses the same 29gr bullet as the .22 Short. Stevens took the 40gr bullet from another (and now long extinct) .22 rimfire round, and put it in the .22 Long case, and the rest is history.

The reason your almost never see .22 Long ammo on the shelf is because there is about zero demand. Not sure when they stopped making guns for the .22 Long, probably over a century ago, maybe before, as the Long Rifle gives more performance, and everything that chambers the LongRifle, will chamber and shoot Longs, (and shorts) as well.

you still see .22 shorts on the shelves, here and there, there are still guns made for the .22 Short (only). Not a lot, but they're out there.

Guns for the .22LR shoot shorts, longs, and LongRifles, though some .22LR guns won't feed shorts, some will, and some can handle all three intermixed.

Today, generally most people think of the Long as the Long Rifle with the Short's bullet. and that is essentially an accurate description, though it doesn't explain that the Long came before the LR, not after.

A .22LR with the .22Short bullet?? what's the point of that?? Today, very little. So, very low market demand for Longs, so very rare to see them taking up space on the shelf that could be used for something that actually sells...

You might find some on the shelf of the old mom and pop hardware/general stores (if you can find any of those still around - check SMALL towns in remote areas), where they've been sitting for 40 years. If you're really lucky the granddaughter working the cash register will sell them to you for the price marked on the box!
Old November 22, 2018, 04:53 PM   #12
SGW Gunsmith

The .22 Long cartridges shoot much better from a 1:20 rifling twist rate, rather than the more common 1:16 found these days. Not a very common method of rifling, although liners are still available.
Old November 22, 2018, 05:07 PM   #13
Bill DeShivs

There were pistols made in .22 long until 1968-at least.
Old November 22, 2018, 05:26 PM   #14
Roamin_Wade

I, too, looked for years and years without ever seeing Longs for sale so when I did, I bought a box of 100 of them. I still have 98 left. Fast forward to this last February when I started working at Carter’s Country, a well know 4-store chain of businesses all around Houston, that I see them every day for sale. They are CCI brand and very rarely do we sell any but they are there. Might be on website but that inventory as opposed to the brick-and-mortar store inventory is two separate things. carterscountry.com
Old November 22, 2018, 07:41 PM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

One other negative about .22 Long is that, last time I checked, if you could even find it, it was more expensive than .22 Long Rifle (due to economies of scale).

The worst example of this is the .22 Winchester Rimfire Automatic cartridge, which only fits the Winchester Model 1903 rifle. As far as I know, the only source today is Aguila, and the stuff costs $19 per box of 50.
Old November 22, 2018, 09:06 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The worst example of this is the .22 Winchester Rimfire Automatic cartridge,
Have you checked the cost of 5mm Rem Mag lately?
Old November 23, 2018, 12:01 AM   #17
johnm1

Correct Scorch,

At the time J Stevens was still known as J Stevens Arms & Tool Co. They also advertised that they were "the largest producers of sporting arms in the world" around the turn of the century. Not the last one, the one before that.

The 40 grain bullet was from the defunct since 1935 22 Extra Long.

I have several boxes of the CCI 22 Long. Shot some 2 weeks ago to see if they would shoot better in a recently acquired Stevens break top 22. They didn’t.
Old November 23, 2018, 04:38 PM   #18
603Country

Here I am at 71 years of age and having shot shorts, longs, and long rifle 22 ammo since forever and I did not know that a 22 long and a 22 LR had the same case. I’d have bet money and lost it that they didn’t have the same case.

My 22 ammo buying began when I got a bicycle, added a front basket, and roamed the roads around town for Coke bottles. Get the refunds till I could afford a box of bullets, and the box depended on how much money I had. If I could only afford shorts, that’s what I bought.
Old November 23, 2018, 06:06 PM   #19
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603Country
My 22 ammo buying began when I got a bicycle, added a front basket, and roamed the roads around town for Coke bottles. Get the refunds till I could afford a box of bullets, and the box depended on how much money I had. If I could only afford shorts, that’s what I bought.
And now, .22 Shorts often cost more than .22 LR (sometimes significantly more).