The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 19, 2019, 11:39 PM   #1
baddarryl

Readers Eye Glasses?

Hi all I have reached the age where it is difficult to even focus on this screen! I need readers to read, but see to distance just fine. I have no problem focusing on a scope but I cant see the front sight on my AR anymore. I still can on a Garand due to longer sight radius only. My issue is if I use readers to see the sight the background and target is a complete blur. Does anyone make shooters glasses that address this issue? I still want to be able to use irons. Thanks.
Old January 20, 2019, 12:31 AM   #2
TXAZ

Progressives maybe, (if I understand your question).

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 20, 2019, 01:19 AM   #3
baddarryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
Progressives maybe, (if I understand your question).
Is that a company or type of lens?
Old January 20, 2019, 04:48 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

It may be possible to come up with a magnification that will let you see your front sight with sufficient clarity to be useful. The target will be blurry, but maybe not too blurry.

You'll have to settle for both the sight and the target being less sharp than ideal, but you may be able to find a workable compromise.

A smaller aperture would probably help--at least as long as there's sufficiently good lighting since smaller apertures reduce the light getting to the eye.
Old January 20, 2019, 08:41 AM   #5
std7mag

It really sounds like you need some professional help.
As in an optometrist and a set of prescription glasses.
I just got my new set yesterday. Huge improvement!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 20, 2019, 11:03 AM   #6
RC20

You might try the stick on peep device, I think Lyman carries it now.

I face the same problem though not as bad. I used to be a crack pistol shot, can't see the sights and target (well eye shifting to do it) well enough to be more than decent.

Most rifles are out as well, the Model of 1917 with its long barrel and rear peep I can somewhat see well enough to shoot 100 yards ok.

Background wise what we used to think of as a complete site picture was the eyes shifting back and forth so rapidly that it looked like it.

Old eyes loose that capability, some worse than others.

It sounds like yours are worse than mine even.

I gave up and went to scopes and target shooting. I need to see about the stick on Peep thing.
Old January 20, 2019, 02:58 PM   #7
jmr40

A smaller aperture helps me. Or wearing my readers. With readers I just have to decide which is more important, having the front sight in focus, or the target. I can still shoot handguns well enough without help. I've gone to optics on most of my rifles, but still use irons on my levers and one of my AR's.

I don't think progressive lenses will help. They are basically bifocals without a clear dividing line. The change is more gradual. You look through the bottom half to see up close, top half for distance. But I can accomplish the same thing by wearing readers low on my nose and looking over them for distance, through them up close

Winston Churchill
Old January 20, 2019, 04:49 PM   #8
jmhyer

It's going to be a problem, no matter what you do. There's just no way to get both your target and your sight in focus with aging eyes. I have found that red dots are awesome for this problem.
Old January 20, 2019, 07:20 PM   #9
burrhead

Google "rear peep sight lens" and you'll get some options. They're optical plastic lenses that go into the rear aperture and bring the front sight into focus. Popular in High Power and Service Rifle for us old guys.

http://www.bjonessights.com/SR.html

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old January 21, 2019, 12:17 PM   #10
Don Fischer

I recently got new glass's. Told the lady my reg glass's with reader's really tired me out on the computer. So she set me up with a second set without reader's to use on the computer. These thing's are great. Bad thing is I often forget to change glass's when leaving the computer and then everything is a bit fuzzy! I can't say enough good about them though. Don't work well as readers but focus great at about 16 to 20".
Old January 21, 2019, 01:33 PM   #11
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddarryl View Post
Is that a company or type of lens?
Progressive (lenses) are great! At the center is your prescription for far vision, at the bottom of the lense is your near vision prescription. In the middle the lens “progresses” from far to near prescription so there is a very sharp focus point somewhere between the center and bottom of the lens.
So with the right glasses you can find a point where most everything is in focus.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 21, 2019, 03:37 PM   #12
Dufus

I took the cheap way out. I got a pair of readers that I can see the sights with.

Then I knocked out the lens on the right side since I am a lefty.

I can see the sights and the target.
Old January 21, 2019, 05:37 PM   #13
RC20

Dufus may have a fix, my mom uses two different contact lenses, some work with it fine and some don't.

Keep in mind, unless its the doc that makes the mistake, you buy the glasses, that can be very costly.

Anyone that says they have the answer is only speaking for themselves, it may well not work for anyone else.

I have both close up issues and I need some distance focus. I have split lenses (bi focal) .

I did try progressive, worst of all worlds for me. It works for some and others not at all.

None of them worked for me with sights.

The diopter (small opening) on glasses may help, while I can sort of shoot the 1917 peep, its not great focus on the target. The temp ones are worth a try to find out (cheap) .

I have tried the progressives target shooting as well as variations of distance and close ups. For me they failed miserably.

Close up to a computer screen is fairly easy fixed. Last go around my eye doc substituent tried to change mine, failed. What he found worked for most did not work for me (his wife knew that). Had to redo the lenses.

But that does not do anything for my target shooting. It might for one and not another.

I had to fight my first eye doc tooth and nail to get my bi focal up high. Eventually I found one who knew mechanics and how they worked and we had no issues. Yep, I did a lot of testing before I went in.

No pat answers.

I am going to try these and see how they do. I have a spare pair of glasses I can mount them on.

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Product...ustomerReviews

Last edited by RC20; January 21, 2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old January 21, 2019, 05:45 PM   #14
ManyMag

RDS works real well for me. Depending on the lens either the rds is clear or the front sight is clear. Mine cowitness so I train with both
Old January 21, 2019, 06:02 PM   #15
unclejack37

Good luck baddarryl. I have the same problem and a help with it was the dollar store readers. I purchased the lowest magnification that allowed me to see the sights and still be able to see the target good enough to identify it (mag1.25). For reading purposes I need a mag 2.0 Since then I have switched to a red dot site. Now I use my progressive lens reader all is good. I have a red dot site on 2 pistols, Ruger Mark III and a Ruger Blackhawk. Also on 2 rifles, Ruger 10/22 and a DPMS AR15. Works well and I don't have to strain, just put the dot on the target and pull the trigger.
ba-da-boom, done.
Old January 21, 2019, 09:29 PM   #16
Dufus

SIL put a red dot on one of his SIGs. It is pretty neat, but I like green.
Old January 22, 2019, 07:11 PM   #17
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD
My issue is if I use readers to see the sight the background and target is a complete blur. Does anyone make shooters glasses that address this issue? I still want to be able to use irons. Thanks.
No lense will allow you to simultaneously focus on a near object and a distant one.

I'd also suggest a visit to a dollar store for reading glasses with less magnification than the pair you've already tried until you find a compromise you can tolerate. I understand that some have bifocals made in which the magnification is distributed to the top of the lense. A progressive bifocal may allow you to orient your head to find the best compromise point, but then you are stuck holding your head at just that angle.

A rear sight with a small aperture can help quite a bit, but the days when you or I could quickly adjust our focus between the front blade of a pistol and a target are all in the past.
Old January 24, 2019, 10:11 PM   #18
reynolds357

I had 20-15 vision in my right eye when I was younger. Even then, I could not focus on the sight and target at the same time. I just focus on the sight and shoot the blurry thing on top of it. What you want is shooting glasses focused at your front sight distance. They will allow you to see a very sharp sight picture.
Old January 31, 2019, 07:40 PM   #19
RC20

I got the LYman stick on devices with the hole in them (peep)

I did a trail sight with a 1911. The focus was perfect.

While that is only true for my eye and I have to get to the range and see how it does, I am hopefull.

For the cost ($23?) I think its worth the try.

I have backup glasses, will just put it on them for now.

It did have to go as close the nose as I could get for how I look down a gun. But they do move easily as well.

Pistol looks better as well, have not tried the range with that either but will report back when I do.
Old February 1, 2019, 02:43 PM   #20
T. O'Heir

You need to be able to see the front sight clearly. It's OK if the target is a bit blurred. However, reading glasses are for seeing close up, not distance. (I'm the exact opposite. My specs are for distance.) If you can't see either, you probably need bi-focals. Talk to your optician. Or maybe your Ophthalmologist.
"...no problem focusing on a scope..." You don't focus on the scope. You look through it. Likewise with peep sights. You may need a bigger aperture for the AR though.
Old February 2, 2019, 03:05 PM   #21
RC20

I got tem down to the range and tried on two guns.

Keep in mind it was 15 degrees and cloudy so contrast was not great. 110 yards.

One is the 1911 7.5 Swiss, V notch site in front of receiver and a good solid 1917 like front sight. Amazing, I could see the 6 inch black ball.

I have no ammo built for it, just a few loaded up from the other 7.5, no idea of accuracy. But I could see rear, front and target really good. So out of it with V sight that I struggled but not due to lack of clarity.

The 1917 already is rear peep, that one I have shot well at 75 yards. I never was able to shoot 100 let alone 110 (we can get 110 if you put the target at the base of the berm and I do so it breaks that is it 1/16 more or less for groups)

Black ball was not a problem, I put a 3 inch orange ball on that and could just see it.

This was left over ammo, I keep a box of odds and ends, nothign developed for that gun. I had 9 shot in the 6 inch ball, after adjusting the rest I got 5 withing 4 inches.

With good light a 4 inch orange ball on black background I think I am good.

Not good enough to see the 1 inch squares but far better and no fuzzy before.

Last edited by RC20; February 2, 2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old February 3, 2019, 10:11 AM   #22
Jbrid77

Google "rear peep sight lens" and you'll get some options. They're optical plastic lenses that go into the rear aperture and bring the front sight into focus. Popular in High Power and Service Rifle for us old guys.

https://www.60xcustomstrings.com/

Has anyone tried the colored Pilla shooting style glasses? I've read mixed reviews on them.