The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 15, 2018, 06:40 PM   #1
Deltadart

Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle repair

I have a Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle that requires some service to the lock. I think the sear needs to be replaced as the hammer does not always stay back when cocked. Does anyone know of a smith who services these rifles?
Thanks
Paul
Old December 15, 2018, 07:57 PM   #2
Hawg

You can remove the lock and see how it works off the rifle. If it works ok it might be the screws were too tight or has wood interference. If it still wont catch you can probably remove the tumbler and sear and dress them with a file.
Old December 15, 2018, 07:58 PM   #3
Pahoo

I love these Big-Boys

Deltadart
I am not a Smith but regardless, I work on all my Side-Locks. Finally I see a post on a Browning Mountain Rifle. The problem may be in your set and yes, I suppose it's considered part of the lock. Even if you are not mechanically inclined, your should be able to locate the problem. Now then, parts are a different story and you may have to have some made. Not too long ago, I got some from Ebay. Also, there are some folks who are making M/L's from scratch and they may be able to help you. Some Smiths do work on them but most don't like to mess with them. Now then, if it were a TC, I would have an entire lock but that would not help you much. I'll look around and see if I can be more helpful. …..

Don't give up and;
Be Safe !!!
Old December 15, 2018, 08:05 PM   #4
Pahoo

I love these Big-Boys

Deltadart
I just now found a copy of an original manual with parts listing, I've had this for a long time so not sure how current it is. Toward the back of the manual It lists Smiths and parts suppliers. Again, this is old information. …..

Don't give up and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; December 15, 2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old December 19, 2018, 01:33 PM   #5
bladesmith 1

I would first check it out of the gun. Sometimes the inletting isn't quite right and the sear is against some wood where it goes into the stock to meet the trigger. In a lot of guns the sear is lower at full cock than at half cock allowing it to rub against the wood . Take it out, put on full cock, and see if you can install it without it going off. When you have it out look inside that hole leading to the triggers to see if they might be a bit too high. Just a thought of something to check anyone can do. Good luck.
Old December 21, 2018, 08:59 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

What bladesmith_1 suggested. Take the lock out and see what is going on. It could also be the sear spring isn't strong enough to push the sear into position to engage the tumbler. Make sure the sear sits flush with the lockplate and moves freely (no binding). It could be the stock needs more relieving (or the screws are tightened too much and binding the lock against the stock.
Old December 21, 2018, 11:12 AM   #7
Pahoo

What's"Your" next step

Deltadart

I too can "speculate" on about a dozen possible problems but until you or someone gets in there and looks, speculation is not going to get it for you. It's impossible for us to pinpoint the problem. At this point in time, you only have two choices; You can pull the lock or have "someone" look at is. It's easy for me to say that working on these is almost a no-brainer but it all starts with a good visual inspection. This is one of those times when I sure wished, you lived in town …….

Be Safe !!!
Old December 27, 2018, 09:14 PM   #8
Deltadart

Thank you all for the suggestions. Sorry to be late in replying to the posts. Doing the Christmas celebration with the family. I will take another look at the lock in the morning. The screws were not all that tight, and the rifle function for a long time very well. It seems the sear had some ware on it, so perhaps a very fine stone and elbow grease will work. I will double check the wood, to make sure nothing has changed. These are a nice M/L and very accurate with a .490 ball and 70 grains of FF.

Now on to the next project a H&R Trapdoor Springfield newly acquired.

Best Regards
Paul