The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 12, 2017, 01:20 PM   #1
PlatinumCore16

Taurus CT9

With this lil guy out of production for some time, is it even worth looking into getting one?

I love the look, it has the right price, especially on GB though mags are a bit tough to find/get expensive fast via auction. It stays within my want of a 9mm caliber. I know that I could potentially build an AR for about the same price as a new one, but with the lower prices it's tough to beat. And I'm not a fan of the KelTech2000 nor the Hi-Point.

Convince me that I shouldn't be trying to get one.
Old April 12, 2017, 04:50 PM   #2
dakota.potts

They are clunky, heavy, uncomfortable to mount, and exhibit poor fit and finish. Never fired one so for all I know I'm missing out on a great shooting firearm but I never found it to be comfortable or particularly well-made.

For the price you're looking at, why not consider a CZ Scorpion?
Old April 13, 2017, 12:01 AM   #3
weblance

Its up to you of course, but if you really want a 9mm carbine, consider buying a dedicated Colt Pattern lower, then one of the $400 uppers from Palmetto State Armory, Kerri's Guns, or JSE Surplus. You can get the CMMG 9mm lower from Buds for $300. Add a few mags, and you have a 9mm AR for under $800.

The beauty of the AR in 9mm is that its so easy to strip down to clean. 9mm blowback carbines run pretty dirty, and you will really be happy with how easy the AR style carbine is to clean.

One note. I mentioned Colt pattern. There are two ways to go with an AR in 9mm. Colt pattern, and Glock. The Colt incorporates a Last Round Bolt Hold Open. The Glock style does not, except for one lower made by Quarter Circle 10. There may be more now, but the Colt pattern IMHO is the way to go. Magazines are reasonably priced for the Colt type also. You can get mags from several places. GunMagWarehouse has the 32 round ASCs for $14. Palmetto State Armory has 32 round Metalform mags for $20. I have a bunch of the ASCs, and they run perfectly in my two CMMG MK9 ARs
Old April 13, 2017, 12:21 AM   #4
JoeSixpack

No experience with the CT9, In my experience Taurus longguns are pretty rare locally.. Might have luck online.

If you don't like the hi-point or kel-tec.
Marlin made a cool little carbine called the Camp 9, Been discontinued for quite a few years though but they're out there and more common then Taurus imo.

Have you given the Beretta storm a look?
Old April 13, 2017, 09:14 AM   #5
PlatinumCore16

Thanks for the input folks, all good stuff

Dakota, I did actually find out about the scorpion after looking into the CT9. Definitely a cool little piece and I also like the look of that one. It is not in the same price range though. Even on Buds, they are a couple hundred apart. However if it goes on sale, I think it would be the better choice as far as mag availability and potentially quality. Also mod availability as well. So to answer your question, albeit in a round about manner, yes I have looked and for the right price it would fit.

Web, I don't know what it is, but I'm not a huge fan of the AR style. Nothing against them, they're obviously proven over years of use, but I'm just not a fan. Now a SCAR, that's slightly different, but it's also wayyy out of the price range I'm looking at. At some point in my life I'll probably own one because why not, and as much as it fits what I'm looking for, I'm just not interested.

Joe, I did see the camp through my research, but it appears to have been discontinued even farther back than the CT9. Not sure about availability, but it didn't look all that great from where I am. I looked at the storm, but it's too much plastic for me. As much as I'm sure it handles well, I'd like something with more metal, even at the cost of weight.

To clarify I had first wanted a CT9 because it looked cool, ran the same ammo I have for my pistols, and it was a long gun. I also thought I had read that PCC could be used in 3-gun, but after some more thorough research, it doesn't quite meet the spec for a 3-gun rifle, so back down the list it goes. Not to mention, the more I looked, the less aftermarket mods/mags there were. By the time I'm really looking to buy a PCC, the CT9 will probably be so rare that it won't be worth the effort. Maybe the Scorpion will have come down in price as well, which would be a great fit for the same role, or maybe someone will come out with something new that fits the bill. Whichever happens, I don't think I'll be getting one for a bit.
Thanks for all of the input again folks, I appreciate it.
Old April 13, 2017, 09:37 AM   #6
weblance

To throw a little more into the mix... Chiappa makes a 9mm carbine, the M1-9. Its styled after the M1 Carbine. I have been mildly interested in another 9mm carbine. I already have a Just Right Carbine in 9mm, and the 2 AR 9s. I like the Kel-Tec, but chasing one down for a reasonable price doesn't seem possible right now. The Chiappa takes Beretta mags, and gets pretty good reviews.

Chiappa MI-9
Old April 13, 2017, 09:39 AM   #7
PlatinumCore16

Hadn't seen that one web. Man, that is the right price too. Thanks, I do love that style. I WILL own an M1/M14 someday, but they are just sooo pricey.

Anyone have experience with these?
Old April 13, 2017, 01:20 PM   #8
weblance

Ruger also made a 9mm carbine, the PC9. Its discontinued. It used the P Series pistol magazines, of which there is a 31 round available from Mec-Gar. They are well built carbines, and examples pop up occasionally in the $700-$800 range.
Old April 13, 2017, 01:44 PM   #9
ttarp

There is a company working on a bullpup stock for the Hi Point carbine that looks pretty interesting, it might be worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V0in7gwNrc

I hadn't really had any interest in the Hi Point carbine until I heard about this, ymmv.
Old April 13, 2017, 01:58 PM   #10
JoeSixpack

That stock looks pretty nice, I just couldn't see paying several 100 dollars for a stock unless it has double stack mags.

I have a 9mm carbine and don't get me wrong it's actually a great and fun little gun but the 10 round capacity sucks a mighty dong.
Old April 13, 2017, 03:47 PM   #11
ttarp

True, but they do mention leaving the magwell over sized, and about designing double stack mags for it. Of course, who knows if/when they get around to it. Until then, the Redball 20 rounders will have to do.
Old April 14, 2017, 05:17 AM   #12
kozak6

I can't believe Taurus blew it so bad with the CT9. Well, actually I can because it's Taurus, but it would have been a massive success for anyone else.

It takes an AR grip and FCG, it can accept a modified AK stock, it could accept modified Colt magazines. That should cover most of 922R, and give fans plenty to play with.

Except Taurus was too lazy for 922R, so they imported it with a silly thumbhole stock and proprietary lo-cap mags. And for $800.

When they discontinued it and sellers cleared them out for $400-ish, it was still a hard sell. It's so sad.

Quote:
True, but they do mention leaving the magwell over sized, and about designing double stack mags for it.
It's troubling that they mention the oversize magwell.

The Hipoint Carbine looks like it was specifically designed to make it difficult to convert to a doublestack. The actual receiver of the gun isn't much wider than the barrel, it's difficult to modify since zamak can't really be soldered or welded, and I suspect a wider magazine would even interfere with the FCG.

A double stack magazine designed for it would look very strange. The rounds would need to form a single column like in every other double stack single feed magazine, except the magazine would need a single column neck an inch or two long to get the rounds through the receiver. This would require a particularly novel follower.
Old April 14, 2017, 05:45 AM   #13
ttarp

How is that troubling exactly? Is just the design complications of the magazine that trouble you?

Surefire D60's seem to work, and I imagine something similar could be done for the Hi Point.

Tags
out of production , taurus