The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 29, 2021, 01:34 AM   #1
riverratt

Leupold CDS dial question?

I've been looking on the wonderful internet and haven't seen anything and the guy behind the counter of the big box store seemingly knew nothing about..... well anything so I'll ask here. In the Leupold Freedom line of rifle scopes is there anyway to "lock" your elevation adjustment or cover it with a cap to prevent it from rubbing on your pack or whatever and unknowingly changing your elevation adjustment?

I hunt close quarters in steep hills and thick brush that has me on all 4's with the rifle strapped to my pack or stand. I like the reticle style for playing at the range (500 max) but will likely never use it in a hunting situation where most of my shots are within 75 yards. Having a turret that I can hang on a greenbrier vine and knock out of adjustment is definitely a deal breaker for me.
Old November 29, 2021, 06:08 AM   #2
cptjack

as I do set dial for zero ,so when on stand ,if moved can put back to zero
Old November 29, 2021, 08:01 PM   #3
jmr40

I don't think you can with the VX-Freedom scopes. At least I've never seen one. They do, or at least did, offer that on some of the VX-3i scopes. I have a couple of 3.5-10X40's with the feature and like it.

I think the VX3i has been replaced with the VX3HD and it has that feature too. I have no idea how much the newer version costs.

https://www.leupold.com/shop/riflesc...d-rifle-scopes

Winston Churchill
Old November 29, 2021, 09:42 PM   #4
riverratt

Thanks! As you can tell I'm not a long range shooter just enjoy popping gallon jugs and coke bottles at various distances at the range but have little to no use for that skill wile hunting. Prime example of this is the doe I killed with my muzzleloader was taken at 40ish yards and my buck was taken with my 7mm-08 at a whooping 12 yards.
Old December 1, 2021, 12:16 PM   #5
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverratt View Post
I've been looking on the wonderful internet and haven't seen anything and the guy behind the counter of the big box store seemingly knew nothing about..... well anything so I'll ask here. In the Leupold Freedom line of rifle scopes is there anyway to "lock" your elevation adjustment or cover it with a cap to prevent it from rubbing on your pack or whatever and unknowingly changing your elevation adjustment?

I hunt close quarters in steep hills and thick brush that has me on all 4's with the rifle strapped to my pack or stand. I like the reticle style for playing at the range (500 max) but will likely never use it in a hunting situation where most of my shots are within 75 yards. Having a turret that I can hang on a greenbrier vine and knock out of adjustment is definitely a deal breaker for me.
As Jmr40 said, I also do not believe the freedom line has the zero-lock feature. Some of them have the CDS feature without the zero lock. I believe the regular CDS has a zero stop, but does not have a lockable turret.

I have the Mark 3HD ,4-12x40 that has a zero stop without a lockable turret. The new Mark 3HD and VX3 HD line run from about $500 up to around $750. The VX 3HD line all come equipped with the CDS Zero Lock Feature
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old December 1, 2021, 01:11 PM   #6
jmr40

If you're not going to be using the feature often you can do it with a conventional scope by removing the cap. On most of mine once they are zeroed I can set a reference point so I know where zero is.

If I want to then adjust for longer ranges I just twist the dial. You do have to count clicks. And you have to be careful when you re-zero it. It isn't as fast, but I've done so in the past when shooting at longer ranges at a firing range. Probably too slow and too much effort to try to do while hunting.

Winston Churchill