The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 10, 2019, 05:00 PM   #1
PolarFBear

Taurus replacing my revolver

Sent a model 94 Ultralite back for repair. The crane screw hole in the frame failed. Repair not undertaken by Taurus. Company is offering $497 for the model 94 against any revolver in their line. The 94 is out of production. What do I get? I am not familiar with the Taurus line. Suggestions? I have a good battery of .22s already: both revolvers and semis. On their website they show an "ugly as sin" .380 revolver. Heck I liked the model 94. Rep was very cordial and the wait to talk to C/S was not outrageous. Thanks.
Old May 10, 2019, 06:15 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

It appears that the only .22 revolver they currently offer is the Tracker 992, which only comes with a 6-1/2" barrel. I think if I were in your situation, I would look at either the Model 380 (guess chat caliber that's in) or the Model 905 in 9mm.
Old May 10, 2019, 07:10 PM   #3
Bob L. Swagger

Don’t overlook the Judge.
Old May 10, 2019, 07:19 PM   #4
TruthTellers

Taurus is making 7 shot .357/9mm combo revolvers, the 692. 9mm is the cheapest centerfire handgun ammo you can get, so it wouldn't be as cheap as shooting .22, but it's not gonna break the bank either.

They only make them in 3" and 6.5" barrel lengths, so you're a bit limited there. Trigger would be better too as it doesn't have the heavy rimfire main springs.

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, Public Defender. It's the only practical Judge worth buying.

Those are the two Taurus' I like, I already own the Public Defender, fun gun to shoot, sometimes has a trigger issue if you pull the trigger too fast in DA, and I am planning on getting that 7 shot 692, so I'm partial to suggesting those guns to others.

I wouldn't get their 9 shot .22 Trackers, they're way too big and heavy for the caliber.
Old May 10, 2019, 08:23 PM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarFBear View Post
Sent a model 94 Ultralite back for repair. The crane screw hole in the frame failed. Repair not undertaken by Taurus. Company is offering $497 for the model 94 against any revolver in their line. The 94 is out of production. What do I get? I am not familiar with the Taurus line. Suggestions? I have a good battery of .22s already: both revolvers and semis. On their website they show an "ugly as sin" .380 revolver. Heck I liked the model 94. Rep was very cordial and the wait to talk to C/S was not outrageous. Thanks.
IMHO, skip the Judge, any and all versions.

Depends on what you want. My personal preferences would be for steel 605 (.357 j-frame equivalent), steel Model 66 (.357 S&W K-frame equivalent) or .44 Tracker. Eschew exotics or magical mystery metal guns.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 10, 2019, 09:08 PM   #6
Carmady

I'd see what they have in 9mm.
Old May 11, 2019, 06:28 AM   #7
Waspinator

They do have a 4" 992 22lr/22wmr revolver. That would be the closest thing to what you had probably.

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/r...2-wmr-9-round/

If it was me though, I would most likely buy a Model 66. It is one of the longest produced models in the line-up and a pretty solid choice.

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/66/
Old May 11, 2019, 08:25 AM   #8
Charlie98

Not to sound catty... but I'd get whatever you think you can resell. After my last 2 Taurus pistols, I wouldn't let them build me a cap pistol.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old May 11, 2019, 08:33 AM   #9
PolarFBear

Charlie 98. I've had OK service from my Tauri. This little 22 was a fluke. I have PLENTY of fire arms (not enough to surpass the guy in Beverly Hills) but "adequate". What ever I get I won't shoot it. It will be for trade. The Judge lines looks interesting but what is it really good for. My favorite Taurus is a 5 shot 44 Special. Great pocket gun.
Old May 11, 2019, 08:57 AM   #10
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
IMHO, skip the Judge, any and all versions.

Depends on what you want. My personal preferences would be for steel 605 (.357 j-frame equivalent), steel Model 66 (.357 S&W K-frame equivalent) or .44 Tracker. Eschew exotics or magical mystery metal guns.
I agree with the 605. It is my favorite Taurus other than my PT-111 G2. My 605 has ATI grips that make it a nice shooter (usually 38+P).
Old May 11, 2019, 11:18 AM   #11
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
I agree with the 605. It is my favorite Taurus other than my PT-111 G2. My 605 has ATI grips that make it a nice shooter (usually 38+P).
I like my 605. In fact, I've just ordered a Crimson Trace lasergrip for it.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 11, 2019, 11:50 AM   #12
Cheapshooter

A 4" 992, without hesitation!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 12, 2019, 03:58 PM   #13
Nathan

Can you still get a 92?
Old May 12, 2019, 10:34 PM   #14
kymasabe

I'm with Charlie_98 on this one. I'd check with your local gun shop which Taurus revolvers are selling the best/fastest, and I'd order that, and dump it. Taurus customer service is traditionally terrible, I'd sell whatever gun you get and buy almost anything else. I've owned many charter arms and never had one fail, I'd trust my life to a charter arms long before I'd trust a Taurus.
I'd dump the Taurus and buy a s&w 442 or a nice clean used 432PD.
Old May 14, 2019, 01:45 AM   #15
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe View Post
I'm with Charlie_98 on this one. I'd check with your local gun shop which Taurus revolvers are selling the best/fastest, and I'd order that, and dump it. Taurus customer service is traditionally terrible, I'd sell whatever gun you get and buy almost anything else. I've owned many charter arms and never had one fail, I'd trust my life to a charter arms long before I'd trust a Taurus.
I'd dump the Taurus and buy a s&w 442 or a nice clean used 432PD.
If OP did this, he'd end up with a model 85 cuz I'm pretty sure that's the cheapest revolver Taurus makes, this it would sell the best. Just because something sells best or fastest doesn't make it the best, otherwise Hi Points and Heritage revolvers would be incorrectly labeled as such.

This just sounds like more Taurus hate from a S&W fanboy no less.
Old May 14, 2019, 02:23 AM   #16
JERRYS.

i'd see if I could just get the $497.00 and move on. otherwise, I'd suggest what others have already, get a popular gun and sell it so you can buy something else. while only a six shot cylinder for some reason, I've had an excellent experience with an old Charter Arms Pathfinder .22lr. the new ones would be closer to what you lost with the Taurus. then there is the LCR .22lr.....
Old May 15, 2019, 08:48 PM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

Whatever I could sell for a quick buck so I can buy American or German.