The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 7, 2018, 09:57 AM   #76
FITASC

IF your goal to get into shotgunning is for hunting purposes, then shoot your hunting guns for grins and giggles. If, however, your goal is to get into serious competition in any of the games, get the 12 gauge target version of whatever brand fits you the best. A lot of folks can have a hard time swallowing the $2-$3K for the basic Browning/Beretta type of O/U until they sit down and realize that the cost of ammo and targets over 20-30 years will run 50-100X that costs - I know because mine did......(just don't tell the wife)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 7, 2018, 11:10 AM   #77
OzeanJaeger

I have an early M3Super90 (circa '94) that is a great skeet gun. I brought it to the range one day when I was still serving just for grins and shot a 21 first time out. While not used to using ghost rings for skeet, they work perfectly for me. I may even prefer them over just a bead, but I still shoot a citori for all clays.
Old February 7, 2018, 06:24 PM   #78
B.L.E.

In my opinion, it's hard to beat skeet for dove hunting practice. Unless you are a skybuster, taking shots at birds that are hopelessly out of range, nearly every dove shot is found on a skeet range. A lot of the difficult sporting clays targets are actually irrelevant to dove hunting.
Old February 11, 2018, 11:23 PM   #79
Fjblair

My club holds weekly club trap competitions and hosts regional events a few times a year.

It's good, it's organized. I sold my BT-99 and need to get back in the game.
Old February 17, 2018, 08:03 AM   #80
stuckinthe60s

+1 with BLE.
NSSA All American
Old February 17, 2018, 09:36 AM   #81
B.L.E.

If your club has a combination trap/skeet field, challenge your buddies to a round of Skrap. Trap birds from the skeet stations.
It's not a recognized game so the rules vary from region to region but we start at skeet station one and everybody shoots until they hit with a five shot maximum, then go to skeet station 2 and repeat. After station 8, we start over on one and repeat, the person who goes the farthest before running out of ammo wins.
I've also shot it where the shooters shoot stations 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, and repeat until the best shooter is out of ammo.
Those station 1 and 7 shots are "the mothers of all crossing shots". Like station 5 in skeet but the shooter is farther back, plus the variable target presentation of trap thrown in.