The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 9, 2017, 09:44 PM   #1
427rules

Alberts 38 cal 158 gr lrn info needed

I recently acquired 5 boxes of Alberts swaged lead pistol bullets in 38 cal. They are 158 gr. LRN. I'm trying to find loading info from anyone experienced with using them, I understand the company has been out of business a long time, probably why I can't find much info. I shoot with older s&w 4" and 6" model type revolvers and a taurus 8" 357 mag. I have no experience with swaged bullets and I've read they are soft and will lead barrels if not loaded correctly. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Old February 9, 2017, 09:58 PM   #2
Hawg

If you can easily scratch them with a fingernail they're probably pure lead. Keep them around 800-900 FPS and they won't lead.
Old February 10, 2017, 06:23 PM   #3
427rules

Bullseye a good choice?

Bullseye be a good choice in powder?
Old February 10, 2017, 07:34 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

Use the same loading data that you would for the Lyman/Ideal 358-311. If you have a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook - the data should be in there. As Hawg suggests, keep 'em in the FPS range he suggests.

While hardness varies according to the alloy - a lead bullet is a lead bullet. Load one to the crimp groove and see what the overall length is and compare it to a loading manual. If the bullet seats deeper - then case volume is smaller thus increasing pressure so you need to adjust your load grain weight.

I shoot a lot of 158 gr. that I cast - RN, SWC - and I usually use Bulls Eye. All shoot just fine out of my vintage Smiths 1920 up through 1955 of various models) and my 1910 Colt Army Special. Normally I load them with about 3.5 gr. of BE but you could use less - check the minimum and maximum. All of my cast are tumble lubed in paste wax/alox.

Since this is a BP forum - if you load them with black powder - make sure you load them as a "compressed load". I normally use a 38 Colt Long casing as a measure with 3F which gives a compressed load when the bullet is seated. I just finger lube the bullet with my BP lube that I make out of beeswax/crisco but you could use SPG or similar.

Good luck and enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 10, 2017, 07:37 PM   #5
Hawg

Bullseye is a good powder but I prefer W231.
Old February 16, 2017, 09:58 AM   #6
427rules

Thanks for the info! I didn't realize I was in the b.p. area, I'm new to using this, and still getting used to getting around in here.
Old February 16, 2017, 11:00 AM   #7
g.willikers

No reason you can't use black powder instead of smokeless.
Your revolvers won't care.
See, now it's fixed and you're in the correct forum.
Old February 16, 2017, 03:34 PM   #8
drobs

This is probably where you wanted to go...
https://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9
But, the BP crowd probably knows more.
Old February 16, 2017, 04:07 PM   #9
Spur0701

See this thread here:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho....php?p=3117105

I ran into a bunch of these back in the day and someone gave me all the loading data, there's pics of all of it at the end of the thread.

Tags
alberts , soft lead bullets , starting loads , swaged 38