The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 11, 2020, 02:45 PM   #51
bill460

I can agree with most everything you have said. When laws are not clear and concise, and are left up to extreme interpretation, it usually results in a legal mess that quickly grows out of proportion.
Old January 11, 2020, 05:22 PM   #52
JohnKSa
Staff

Laws should be easy to understand and enforce. Otherwise they are a form of persecution--whether that's the explicit intent or not.
Old January 11, 2020, 06:07 PM   #53
HiBC

I have read that between RFK and J Edgar Hoover the desire to "Get something on this guy" led to some very invasive surveillance on Martin Luther King.

Bad law often remains on the books simply through apathy. There has been so much bad law written those who would have to purge it are making other priorities or are just lazy.

We settle for "No one has been prosecuted under that law since....the Civil War?"

Yet the law remains on the books.

Discretionary prosecution becomes discretionary persecution when it is driven by politics,or grudge,or agenda or hate.

And these do happen. Note the firing of some FBI officials and matters yet to come.

The best way to get rid of bad law is to universally enforce it...on everyone.

Imagine a weekly random drug and alcohol UAI for Congress. Suppose you'd find any coke users? Should they have the power,the salary,perks and pension? And gun permit? Why do we let them get away with it?

Last edited by HiBC; January 12, 2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old January 11, 2020, 08:08 PM   #54
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Discretionary prosecution becomes discretionary persecution when it is driven by politics,or grudge,or agenda or hate.

The best way to get rid of bad law is to universally enforce it...on everyone.
Well said. I would add that regardless of the motive behind discretionary prosecution it's just plain wrong.
Old January 11, 2020, 08:58 PM   #55
Aguila Blanca
Staff

There was an anti-fortunetelling law in Connecticut a number of years ago. I was there at the time, married to wife v.2. A couple of nice young ladies who ran a new age book store wanted to put on a psychic fair, and the cops in their town told them if they did so they would be arrested under this law.

They cancelled the fair, but the started a movement to repeal the law. It turned out that the law had been on the books for over eighty years. In that time, there had been ONE prosecution under that law. That was only a year or two prior to the ill-fated psychic fair, and that case was throown out of court when the defense showed the judge that neither the police nor the prosecution even understood what the law said. A year after the psychic fair incident the law was quietly repealed.

My great-grandfather was a professor of law. I was brought up with the understanding that laws which are enforced sporadically and/or capriciously are worse than no laws at all, because selective prosecution results in universal disrespect for the rule of law.
Jeepaholic
Old January 27, 2020, 10:03 PM   #56
langenc

I rfecall seeing offers to 'get in on the ground floor' or some such for big profits.

I also see offers for the one oz dropper bottle--$50 if you buy one gets down to about 35 if you buy 4 or 5 bottles.

Ive read where some high power politicians have socked lots of $$ into marketing the stuff.. BS ?? maybe. Looks like it is profitable. Wonder how many of the profiteers are bellyaching about big pharma making BILLIONS?
Old January 28, 2020, 03:10 AM   #57
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
There was an anti-fortunetelling law in Connecticut a number of years ago.
probably something put on the books to combat fraud. Bet it was only a crime if you charged money for it...still, One prosecution in 80 years and that one thrown out means the law is worse than useless.

I did go to psychic, one time, may years ago. I don't think she was a very good one, though. She took my CHECK!