The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 21, 2019, 11:35 AM   #1
taylorce1

Some Custom Hunting Gear!

I got my knife back in the mail yesterday, I had accidentally damaged the tip so I sent it back to be repaired. I also got a prototype cartridge holder that the knife maker is working on. I'm pretty excited to try it out on my next pronghorn hunt, but I'll have to use my .270 or .30-06 as there isn't enough cartridge to grab with .308 based cartridges. He does plan to make these for .308/CM, WSM, .30-06, belted magnums, and beltless magnums. Todd does all his knife and leather work as a hobby, he's stopped taking custom orders so you'd have to watch his Facebook page to see what's available if you want one of his projects.

TCK #1

Shell Holder

Fits a 2" wide belt.

Old December 21, 2019, 01:58 PM   #2
mxsailor803

Nice. I’m thinking about having a custom wrist cuff made to hold a couple .44mag rounds since I’ve been doing more handgun hunting the last couple years.
Old December 21, 2019, 02:54 PM   #3
jmr40

Like the knife and sheath a lot. The shell holder is certainly well made, but not something I'd use.

Winston Churchill
Old December 21, 2019, 03:12 PM   #4
taylorce1

I like the knife and sheath as well, it is a handy size for most things with a 3.5" fixed blade. I had three of these knives built awhile back, one for my daughter with purple scales, and one for a guy who's been letting my daughter kill whitetail since she was 9. The sheath is a cross draw sheath so if I'm slung up carrying a rifle it doesn't rub on my knife sheath or it's out of the way if I'm carrying a handgun. The knife holds a wonderful edge if you don't drop it and tweak the tip, but Todd will repair and resharpen them for free.

Todd is a big man something like 6'6" and 300 lbs, so he said the problem with cartridge holders is he couldn't grab one efficiently so he spaced them out to get his fingers in there. He gave it to me to try out, but it is probably going to see limited use as well. I usually only carry a knife outside of my day pack, everything else is in readily accessible pockets on the pack.
Old December 21, 2019, 04:59 PM   #5
onlinebiker

Well done hand made items tend to be pricey- but somehow they usually seem worth the extra.

Old February 11, 2020, 04:27 PM   #6
hooligan1

Those look nice, I like the sheath, and the cartridge pouch, work fine for hog hunting.
Old February 26, 2020, 11:15 AM   #7
globemaster3

What metal did you choose for the blade? I love the burl scales! Are they stabilized with epoxy or just straight wood?

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old February 27, 2020, 02:23 PM   #8
taylorce1

I actually don't know the metal used, I can ask the maker. When I ordered this knife I just told him the style I wanted, and left everything else up to him. However, he did say he only uses stabilized wood and burl is pretty fragile if it isn't stabilized.
Old February 28, 2020, 12:17 PM   #9
huntinaz

I actually like the cartridge pouch a lot