The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 23, 2020, 02:24 PM   #1
Nodak1858

First flintlock

I've been shooting C&B revolvers and inline and percussion rifles for years so I'm familiar with shooting black powder. But finally got my first flintlock. I won a Lyman Deerstalker 54 cal on Gunbroker for $260. It looks new, bore is great, all the screw heads look new, and no rust. I pretty sure I have enough reading so far that I can actually get it to shoot a ball. But have a few questions for everyone. What, if any, spare parts besides flints should a guy have? I have read some have a spare frizzen, which are cheap, but others haven't needed anything besides new flints. Also are there any good tweaks or tips for a newbie. Will be shooting 3F as the main charge and 4F for priming, real black powder Swiss from Grafs. As far as flints, sounds like English flints are usually what people recommend. Are saw cut or hand knapped the way to go, is there any real functional difference?
Hopefully the weather keeps nice and I can make it out to the range in the next few weeks.

Thanks all,
Josh
Old February 23, 2020, 03:05 PM   #2
Pahoo

Be Patient with the task and yourself !!!

Jumping from MML's to "Rock-Crushers" is a mighty big step and by my measure, a goodun. Going to be some time before you need a spare frizzen and always good to have as well as touch-hole liners. Might also want a priming flask/charger. for that 4FG . Be Patient with the task and yourself !!!

Enjoy and keep us updated.

Be Safe !!!
Old February 23, 2020, 07:58 PM   #3
mehavey

As far as flint go... go real flint, go knapped, and go HERE:
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/141/1
(and get a dozen at a whack)

Speaking of whacks...
Get this 29-cent tool as well.
Old February 23, 2020, 09:20 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Mebbe one new frizzen, but if you have casenite, you can re-treat it (but anneal it afterwards). The frizzen should last you a long time.

One thing about those Italian locks, they use a coil spring in lieu of a V spring. They're different to work on.
Old February 23, 2020, 10:14 PM   #5
Nodak1858

Pahoo, have a small flask for priming coming, and will probably order a frizzen and liners, both are cheap enough to have.
Mehavey, thanks for the picture, that was the other thing I was a bit unsure of.
4V50 Gary, is a guy basically able to sand/clean up the frizzen and then just heat treat it? Is it a case of they don't really wear out, but just need to be "repaired" so to speak? I've heat treated small parts and AK recievers, would be able to give these a go I think.

Thanks all for the info, I figure I have a good month before I can make it to the outdoor range I haunt to try it out. A good bit of time to keep learning the basics.
Old February 24, 2020, 05:37 AM   #6
Old Stony

A good frizzen should last a guy for a long time. Most rifles never get one replaced in their lifetime. If and when they give some problems, they can be heat treated...but it rarely needs to be done. Just getting all your possibles together to shoot it should cover your needs for a long time.
Old February 24, 2020, 09:38 AM   #7
reinert

One powder for load and priming...

Many flintlock shooters just use the same powder from the horn as to the load; one horn for charging the rifle, and priming the pan. I do use a priming horn and grind my own primer powder with a ceramic mortar and pestle; personally I've never had the need to purchase 4fg powder, and that's just me, and tips/advice from my mentors through the many years of traditional b.p. shooting. I've primed my flinters both ways, and really can't determine any real difference in ignition, but I still use a separate priming horn. Try your 3fg for the prime before you buy that pound of 4f. You may find it all you need for powder; as is, or ground up in a ceramic mortar and pestle properly. I usually dump just a capful from the powder can to grind at a time and then add it to the priming horn. I've never had an issue making priming powder this way, and I've been shooting flinters for well over 40 years.

BTW, and as has been already mentioned, a can of kasenit is good stuff to have on hand for sleepy frizzens. Easy to use, and brings the sparks back wonderfully.
Old February 24, 2020, 11:51 AM   #8
darkgael

You probably will keep a spare frizzen for a loooong time.
Get yourself a little brush for cleaning the primer pan and a pick for the flash hole.
if you use FFFg powder, you can prime with that; you won't need the FFFFg.
Old February 24, 2020, 11:52 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
a can of kasenit is good stuff to have on hand for sleepy frizzens. Easy to use, and brings the sparks back wonderfully.
Kasenit is no longer being made. Midway USA sells Cherry Red and Brownells sells a surface hardening compound which is probably repackaged Cherry Red.
Old February 24, 2020, 01:21 PM   #10
reinert

Thanks for the heads-up on the kasenit, Hawg. I've had my can on hand for many years, and haven't had to shop for any since. I can only imagine the Cherry Red and or Brownells compound works equally as well as kasenit.

Probably ten years ago now, I purchased a neat little booklet titled, "How to Heat Treat: Harden, Temper & Anneal," by Susanne Warren-Bicio, Historical Arms Gunmaker (The Gunmaker Series). I don't know if it's still available or not, but I find it a great, quick reference to and about heat treating metal. I got this booklet from Muzzleloader Builders Supply (copyright 2007).
Old February 26, 2020, 09:30 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Read and follow the book's instruction. No need to file on the frizzen. Remember, this is a future project that may or may not arise.