The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 17, 2018, 08:33 PM   #1
Dano4734

They have little watches

Last night the day before opening deer season. A big pile of doe in my back yard followed by the beautiful 6 point buck I seen all fall. Always there like clockwork. Today open season with three doe permits and one buck permit. Nothing not a track except last night nothing. Earth swallowed them up. They have little watches and know the time of opening day
Old November 18, 2018, 11:00 AM   #2
big al hunter

I think someone is reading the hunting regulations to them every night as a bedtime story.

It's either that or all the increase in the traffic opening morning

I scout my favorite areas during the summer. I never see more than 2-3 other rigs. Opening morning a constant line of trucks and SUV's come rumbling in. Doors slamming shut, Bob yelling at Dave that he hasn't seen him in a year and how are the kids. You know ... weekend warrior hunters from the big city suburbs.
Old November 18, 2018, 11:54 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al hunter
It's either that or all the increase in the traffic opening morning
I've wondered for years if there's not something to that... not on the main roads, obviously, but all those back roads and little cabins hidden in the woods, all of a sudden there's trucks and 4 wheelers and voices... I'd bet it has an effect. Those animals aren't stupid.
Old November 18, 2018, 01:31 PM   #4
Dano4734

Completely agree, I going out during the week. Yesterday I went out turned around and came home. The city hunters come here and have not fired a rifle all year. Ugh. Not safe from the idiots

Last edited by Dano4734; November 18, 2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old November 18, 2018, 01:51 PM   #5
NHSHOOTER

I too believe that all the extra activity get to them and all of a sudden the woods are full of human scent. That is why I like muzzleloader season here in NH, its before the rifle season and its quite peaceful. I have filled my rifle tag 10 out of the last 11 yrs with my inline...gotta luv it.
Old November 18, 2018, 01:58 PM   #6
Dano4734

Last year I heard one guy say I don’t remember when I shot this gun last.. oh boy. I hope he meant at a deer hunting

Last edited by Dano4734; November 18, 2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old November 18, 2018, 02:40 PM   #7
big al hunter

Quote:
Last year I heard one guy say I don’t remember when I shot this gun last.. oh boy. I hope he meant at a deer hunting
My money goes on...he hadn't even touched it in years.

I met a guy that doesn't leave the road because he doesn't want to get lost. He rarely shoots the gun, not sure why. And he pointed his rifle at me 2 times during our short discussion about where the animals might be this year. Pretty easy to avoid him, I just stay away from the roads
Old November 18, 2018, 02:57 PM   #8
NHSHOOTER

I know a guy that took his new rifle out hunting, (its bore sighted), nuf said...
Old November 19, 2018, 09:51 PM   #9
reynolds357

My uncle says that if he can hit a pie pan at 50 yds, he "is zeroed in."
Old November 20, 2018, 06:30 AM   #10
Mobuck

"It's either that or all the increase in the traffic opening morning"
It's kind of funny (in a sad sort of way) that 2 or 3 days before the opener, city hunters start showing up at their hunting farm, Granpa's abandoned house, or the public hunting area(s). These guys are out in the fields motoring around in their high $$ UTV, setting up stands or blinds, scattering scent everywhere. With all that un-natural activity, of course the deer are going to notice.
I begin "conditioning" my deer in the summer and can often drive within crossbow range of even the medium sized bucks by hunting season(bigger bucks seldom tolerate approaching within 150-200 yards regardless). It's not "the traffic" it's the different patterns of traffic. I can even see a different response to human scent between the deer here on my home farm vs. the deer on our "north farm" where they don't get conditioned to human activity and odor.
Old November 20, 2018, 07:51 AM   #11
std7mag

Yup, every year this guy and his kid show up at the range. Pull out this beauty of a Weatherby. Stainless 26" barrel, laminated stock, Leupold VX6. 300 Weatherby Mag.
Put paper plate up at 50 yards.
2 hits out of 5, call it good!!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old November 20, 2018, 10:12 AM   #12
reynolds357

Quote:
Yup, every year this guy and his kid show up at the range. Pull out this beauty of a Weatherby. Stainless 26" barrel, laminated stock, Leupold VX6. 300 Weatherby Mag.
Put paper plate up at 50 yards.
2 hits out of 5, call it good!!
I guess they are counting on the .300 WBY to scare the deer to death.
Old November 24, 2018, 02:49 PM   #13
Dano4734

Today in the middle of the woods tons of hunters looking for deer , I see a guy all dressed in cameo no orange walking through the woods with his chocolate lab dog. I asked him if he thought it was a good idea since the city hunters you have all around here are not so careful. He just walked off through the woods. Now this is not an area with houses or paths. It is a watershed area with nothing around. You can’t talk sense into stupid either. I wonder how far he will get before someone downs his dog or him. Amazing stupid. Hunters are required to wear orange but I guess not a guy who wants to walk around in the woods with a chocolate lab during deer season on a weekend
Old November 25, 2018, 08:55 AM   #14
Viper225

MOBUCK I agree about getting the deer conditioned. The Friday afternoon before the regular Missouri Firearms Deer Season we had 17 slickheads and 3 bucks in the pasture within 200 yards of the house. This was very unusual with a bumper acorn crop. My guess was the hunters moving onto the lease next to our property got them upset.

Yesterday was a beautiful day here in the Ozarks. I put in 5 hours clearing around one of my ladder stands. Cutting trees, moving brush with the tractor. Cutting the hardwoods into firewood. I guarantee this activity will not bother the deer, as I am using the tractor and chainsaw frequently around the farm. Fixing fence, feeding, etc they are used to smelling and seeing me around.

I had deer walk across my tracks going to my stand during the November Deer Season and did not act like they smelled me at all. I do stay clean and wear rubber boots. Wilderness deer would have probably alerted crossing my trail.

I am getting ready for the 22 December Alternative Weapon's Season. This was all clearing I had planned to do before the November Season, but due to a remodeling project on the house that had to be buttoned up before cold weather did not happen for the first half of season. I handgun hunt, so basically I have my season in two parts. I got an 8 point first season with my 7.62X54R (.308 Bore) Encore pistol. The December season I will use either my 35 Bullberry Contender or my 357 Maximum for my doe tag.

I still plan to swap out my ladder stand for a newly remodeled one. The existing Double-Wide was a First Generation with a much smaller shelf around it. The Second Generation version has additional tubing welded around it for a much larger shelf. The Second Generation Stand lets you get a much more solid gun rest. Important making long shots with a handgun.

Bob R

Last edited by Viper225; November 25, 2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old November 25, 2018, 03:33 PM   #15
Dano4734

Yup nice buck standing 20 yards in my neighbors yard. No hunting in the village. I swear they know. Been out all day nothing come home and it teases me lol
Old November 25, 2018, 04:48 PM   #16
Panfisher

My deer here in MO are used to the ATV, Tractor, sound of gunshots, and chainsaws. Have had them show up on my home range within 30 minutes of me shooting several rounds. The sound of a chain saw seems to draw them in winter. I think they like to nibble on the buds etc of the brush I cut out of the fence row. Often that failiarity doest do hem any favors when my wife hits her stand.
Old November 25, 2018, 05:05 PM   #17
reynolds357

I regularly have deer cross my shooting range while I am shooting.
Old November 25, 2018, 05:10 PM   #18
reynolds357

Quote:
Today in the middle of the woods tons of hunters looking for deer , I see a guy all dressed in cameo no orange walking through the woods with his chocolate lab dog. I asked him if he thought it was a good idea since the city hunters you have all around here are not so careful. He just walked off through the woods. Now this is not an area with houses or paths. It is a watershed area with nothing around. You can’t talk sense into stupid either. I wonder how far he will get before someone downs his dog or him. Amazing stupid. Hunters are required to wear orange but I guess not a guy who wants to walk around in the woods with a chocolate lab during deer season on a weekend
https://youtu.be/PKpQRjj_WbU
Old November 25, 2018, 08:30 PM   #19
Dano4734

Hey reynold
Great tune so true. I write music myself. Here is one of mine
https://youtu.be/nncSLzWF6oE
Old November 25, 2018, 10:26 PM   #20
reynolds357

Good song. One of the old men in town who supposedly used to haul Popcorns shine into N.E. GA.has some stories.

Last edited by reynolds357; November 26, 2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old November 26, 2018, 09:29 AM   #21
Dano4734

He was quite the character. Well I am off to find deer that are not in my neighborhood lol wish me luck
Old November 26, 2018, 09:45 PM   #22
sako2

I swear they can read those yellow posters.