The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 27, 2018, 11:30 PM   #1
dvdcrr

Uphill shooting.

What is the right field position to use when shooting moderately uphill, 25-40% slope when there are no rests or rocks, and when the grass is tall enough that a prone shot is not possible?
And what do you consider to be a max sensible range for such a shot assuming a 10mph cross wind?
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old October 28, 2018, 03:06 AM   #2
NHSHOOTER

Shooting sticks would be my suggestion, as far as distance, I think that is up to the shooter and his ability.
Old October 28, 2018, 07:09 AM   #3
jmr40

Something like this fits in a daypack taking up very little space. I carry a set with me all the time. They really make a difference on longer shots. Or even closer shots where only a small part of the animal is visible and there is very little room for error

https://www.amazon.com/Hammers-bunge...20&ref=sr_1_22

They make bigger ones that are more sturdy, especially the ones with 3 legs. But they start being a lot to carry around.

How far is a personal decision. I've practiced some out to 600 yards, but not much experience in the wind. A 10mph wind will change impact with my 308 less than 3" at 200 yards, but over 6" at 300. About a foot at 400. I'm not good enough at reading the wind to feel good about a shot over 200-250 yards in the wind. With no wind, I'm comfortable at 400.

And it really depends on the load. With my 6.5 CM the wind drift will be almost 1/2 that. I'd take a 300-350 yard shot with it because the wind has much less effect on the bullet.

Winston Churchill
Old October 28, 2018, 09:21 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Shooting sticks or offhand; the latter, preferably, with a sling.
Old October 28, 2018, 10:46 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It all depends... is this like a week-long, high-intensity, tiring Dall Sheep hunt when you're traipsing miles through rugged terrain on mountains where every ounce matters, or is it a day hunt for woodchucks in alfalfa fields where you're walking around on more or less smooth ground where a couple extra pounds is no big deal?

If I'm hunting woodchucks, a nice tall bipod mounted to the gun would be in order. If I'm hunting sheep, Art's suggestion of a sling would be appropriate.

Also, grass "tall enough that a prone shot is impossible" doesn't preclude kneeling, so I'd combine that with the sling.

I personally find a good sling to be far more steady than shooting sticks.

As for the wind, if you *know* it's a 10 mph, steady and consistent wind all the way to the target (good luck with that!), then it's a non-factor. Any competent shooter will know or have charted wind deflection with their cartridge so you just make the adjustment.

Maximum distance is going to depend on how all the variables mentioned above play out and how important the target is. If it's a game I'm playing and there are no consequences except losing, I'll shoot at anything at any distance. If it's a small critter like a woodchuck and it's "kill or miss" as is usually the case, probably same thing. If it's an animal that could be wounded and not killed... my own assumptions about the scenario say probably 250, maybe 300 yards... but it depends on a lot of assumptions.
Old October 28, 2018, 11:31 AM   #6
NoSecondBest

I guess it depends on who you are and what your abilities are. Based on my years of experience and knowing how well the average hunter can shoot, I'd suggest a shooting stick(s) if you actually expect a shot under the circumstances you describe. Very few hunter/shooters can shoot well enough at any distance beyond a hundred yards to expect a decent shot placement shooting off hand. I kind of favor what Brian Pfleuger said about what the critter was in determining taking the shot. YOU need to know YOUR own abilities under the described circumstances in determining what YOU'D do. Work within your own abilities, not anyone else's. If you're lacking in the skill to make the shot, DON'T TAKE THE SHOT. Practice and find out what you're capable of.
Old October 28, 2018, 11:50 AM   #7
std7mag

First off when shooting uphill is, is there a back stop for your bullet should you miss, or get a pass through?

As for a rest, i make an improvised bench using a portable folding seat and my backpack.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old October 28, 2018, 12:05 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

There's a huge difference between 25 and 40 percent slopes, but the shooting position doesn't matter. Neither does the wind. It's about having some kind of rest or lugging one. It's where a bipod can be handy. Shooting sticks can be had for free any time you're outside. They don't have to be in pairs either. One stick will do.
It's also something you may be able to practice, depends on where you shoot for practice, using that 9" pie plate.
However, like NoSecondBest says, if you have any doubts about making the shot, don't take it.
Old October 28, 2018, 12:15 PM   #9
Picher

When shooting either uphill or downhill, use the horizontal (level) distance to determine the trajectory. That will always be result in LESS drop than the lasered distance to the critter, but most noticeable at greater vertical angles.
Old October 28, 2018, 01:56 PM   #10
Erno86

If I had my druthers...I would prefer shooting off my hunting guide or buddies shoulder (hearing protection mandatory).

If neither them nor shooting sticks were available at the time --- I would prefer shooting offhand without a sling, with an approximate 9 pound well balanced rifle. No ultralight rifles for me (especially in a 10mph crosswind) --- Thank-you...

--- George Orwell
Old October 28, 2018, 08:06 PM   #11
dvdcrr

JMR40 I don't know much about those shooting sticks, but since you linked to them I bought em. Cant wait to try them out
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old October 28, 2018, 08:52 PM   #12
Mobuck

I use shooting sticks for all types of hunting. I find them easier to handle and adjust than trying to wrangle a bipod. My favorites are home made from a pair of 3' pieces of bamboo about finger diameter bound with either boot lace or similar thickness latex tubing.
Uphill, downhill, sidehill the sticks work equally well.
Old October 29, 2018, 07:35 AM   #13
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
And what do you consider to be a max sensible range for such a shot assuming a 10mph cross wind?
A hard shot to made. But its do-able.
Size of animal matters in this up-hill shooting scenario
Old October 29, 2018, 09:32 AM   #14
dahermit

You may want to consider passing on an up-hill shot and picking a hunting location that is closer and less problematic in the first place.
Old October 29, 2018, 12:57 PM   #15
Picher

I like my telescoping Uni-pod, which I can use when sitting on the ground, on my folding stool, or offhand. It's also very light to carry. I'm amazed at how steady it is, especially when sitting on my stool and holding the handle with my left hand, with the rifle forend in the rubberized "V".
Old October 29, 2018, 01:19 PM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Even at quite long ranges and the maximum slope indicated by the OP, change in POI is all but irrelevant... at 300 yards and a 40% slope the difference is like 22 yards. Even with not very flat-shooting 120gr TTSX bullets in 7mm-08, that changes the POI by only 1.9"
I would challenge about any shooter in the world to tell the difference between that range "error" and human shooting error under field conditions, with a hunting rifle at 300 yards. You'd be hard pressed to know where you were aiming on the animal within 2" when you were standing there looking at the wound.
At 25%, it makes a difference of 9 yards at 300, less than 1" impact change.

It's also fair to ask how realistic the scenario becomes at very long ranges... say 600 yards. At a 40% slope, the altitude difference between the hunter and target would be near 700 feet. Are there places in the world? Well yeah, but what are the odds?
Old October 30, 2018, 10:58 PM   #17
tangolima

40% grade is 23.5 degrees in elevation. Not much of a elevated shot. Probably no need to adjust for range of 300yd. 30 degrees or more is more like it. The poi change is getting close to 4". That probably needs to be compensated.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old October 31, 2018, 08:41 AM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The OP is talking about two different problems occurring at the same time. First is about vision, which is as much of a problem on the flat as at a hill. My own solution for that is to either shoot offhand or pass the shot.

Okay, angles: Less than 30 degrees and no more than 300 yards? Don't worry about it on a chest shot. At 45 degrees, the bullet thinks the distance to Bambi is 70.71 percent of the lasered distance. (Cosine of the angle.) At 300 yards, the bullet's distance is right at 210 yards, which is about where I've always sighted in my deer rifles.
Old October 31, 2018, 08:03 PM   #19
Drm50

The furthest I have ever shot a deer off hand is 250yds with a strap and 6x scope on 308 m70. I was in my 30s when I did it and probably wouldn't take the
shot now. I have shot a lot of deer on damage permits with a 270 out to 400 yds. This is steep country and shooting was almost always down hill from ridge
tops ( that's where roads are ) Lots of shooting at as much as 45*, nothing to
drop 100' to 200' in 400yds. Most of my scoped deer rifles are sighted dead 0
at 100yds, that's the way I like them and am use to judging hold. You would be
surprised if you put a target up on steep angle and shoot at 400yds. And if you
are one who sights in high the results can be the difference between a hit and a
miss or poor hit at the least.
Old October 31, 2018, 10:23 PM   #20
ms6852

Off hand with a sling is also my recommendation, or kneeling. This is where practicing with a 22lr comes into play all the time. Something I do religiously is to shoot offhand and kneeling with my 22.