The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 9, 2018, 02:11 PM   #1
DaleA

CA 'one gun per month' struck down

Seems like the restriction of 'one gun per month' in California has been struck down by the appeals court. The article states:
Quote:
a policy that prevents Californians who hold both a federal firearms license and a state Certificate of Eligibility, or “COE”, from purchasing more than one handgun in any 30-day period.
I'm having a hard time believing that a FFL holder could be restricted to one gun per month...how could you stay in business?

Anyway here's the story:
https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...ol-Policy.html
Old February 9, 2018, 02:48 PM   #2
xandi

Great, now to tell my wife that her harsh rules and regulations within our household have been challenged and shutdown by a court(;
All jokes aside. That’s good for the residents of that state
Old February 9, 2018, 05:54 PM   #3
Armed_Chicagoan

Apparently it applied to 03 C&R licensees, not dealer FFLs.

California state law explicitly exempted 03 FFLs from the "one handgun per month" provision in state law for C&R handguns, but the AG in 2014 tried to apply the law to 03 FFLs. That's what was struck down, apparently the one handgun per month rule still stands for those who don't have an 03 FFL. And presumably if the legislator decides to strip the exemption for 03 FFLs they could still do so.

So not really a huge victory here, and it's really unbelievable to me that a lower court ruled the AG could blatantly ignore the state law exemption.
Old February 9, 2018, 07:30 PM   #4
DaleA

Thanks for the clarification. The article I linked to kind of had me scratching my head.
Old February 9, 2018, 09:30 PM   #5
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA
Thanks for the clarification. The article I linked to kind of had me scratching my head.
I don't know how many times I've said this: Do not rely on news articles for an understanding of court decisions; you need to read the decisions.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper