The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 04:20 PM   #76
Mike1234

Your View on Coyote Hunting?

^^^ RIGHT!!! ^^^

Last edited by Mike1234; May 12, 2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old May 12, 2014, 04:39 PM   #77
Scout

Coyotes are not native here. They have migrated into the state and now seem to occupy the predatory niche of the red wolves to the north and the panthers everywhere. I haven't hunted them purposefully, yet, but would have no ethical problem shooting them all.
Old May 12, 2014, 04:44 PM   #78
huntinaz

Your View on Coyote Hunting?

Quote:
No, I hate it [hunting]... but it's more a matter of me being a coward. I SUPPORT hunting because it's far better than slaughter houses.

If you support hunting because it's "better" than a slaughter house, why should it not also be a wholesome activity for those who do it? Are you saying, like leadcounsel, that it's ok to do it but not enjoy it?

Never saw Avatar. I don't learn life lessons from Hollyweird though.

Quote:
Have others here felt the pain of other creatures at all?? Maybe some of your family members wish you could suffer the same fate because you're a jerk in their eyes?? Maybe other people you know should suffer the same long-lasting horrible fate because in your opinion they suck??

Maybe they deserve to die... but do they deserve to suffer so long? Maybe they do but my guess is (those who AREN'T SICK IN THE HEAD) don't wish devastating pain to to those who deserve to die.

WHO ARE YOU??

I'd ask you to clarify this because I can't for the life of me figure out what it is you are getting at, but I'm not sure it's at all relevant to the topic at hand. So I won't.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; May 12, 2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old May 12, 2014, 04:57 PM   #79
Sierra280

Quote:
Have others here felt the pain of other creatures at all??
Lengthy philosophical discussions have been made over the question of whether animals feel pain [the way we do] at all.

I think animals feel pain but as humans move into animal habitat (or vice versa in the case of coyotes) it will soon be a necessity to get rid of them. A few years ago I saw a beagle get killed and dragged off by a coyote; What if that was your dog? What do most people do when there is a rattle snake in the garage? Some animals are simply a danger to a humans life or lifestyle.

There will always be unethical hunters out there but it is certainly not the actions of the majority.

Mike1234, have you ever taken a hunter's safety course? Good hunting ethics are covered. And it seems like everyone here on TFL agrees unethical hunting practices are unacceptable.
Old May 12, 2014, 05:09 PM   #80
huntinaz

Quote:
Again, it's not a legal thing but an ethical one and the suffering by that big buck is no more than by the lowly coyote. It's only our perception.
Agree with you 100% about that.
Old May 12, 2014, 05:16 PM   #81
huntinaz

Quote:
Lack of sympathy is a half-step away from lack of empathy... "feeling nothing" for those we hurt regardless of necessity... or the lesser of two evils.
Lack of sympathy is miles away from getting arousal out of death and pain.
Old May 12, 2014, 05:52 PM   #82
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

"Those we hurt"?

Animals are not "those".

That is classic anthropomorphism. Animals are not people.

There is no difference between poisoning a mouse and poisoning a coyote or bear or elephant.

Back before Walt Disney, nobody thought animals had families or plans for the future or worried about each other or agonized about being hurt. Nobody thought animals were people, because they aren't.

They are not individuals except in the sense of being singular.

I'm curious what emotion I'm supposed to have when I kill a coyote, or any other animal. I'm supposed to be sad? Why would I do something that has only failure or sadness as options? I don't have any physical need to hunt, why would I do what can only end negatively?
Old May 12, 2014, 05:55 PM   #83
John828

There are two different worldview in this thread, and I doubt either one can comprehend the other.
Old May 12, 2014, 05:56 PM   #84
huntinaz

Quote:
There are two different worldview in this thread, and I doubt either one can comprehend the other.
Yeah, and I'm disappointed in myself every time I try.
Old May 12, 2014, 06:03 PM   #85
John828

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinaz View Post
Yeah, and I'm disappointed in myself every time I try.
One is more grounded in reality though, but that is easier for me to say that because I hold it. Nevertheless, when I remove the emotions and look at the facts, coyote hunting and trapping is a good thing for man and nature.
Old May 12, 2014, 06:05 PM   #86
huntinaz

Quote:
I'm curious what emotion I'm supposed to have when I kill a coyote, or any other animal. I'm supposed to be sad? Why would I do something that has only failure or sadness as options? I don't have any physical need to hunt, why would I do what can only end negatively?
Cause you're a psyco I believe is the argument

Quote:
Back before Walt Disney, nobody thought animals had families or plans for the future or worried about each other or agonized about being hurt. Nobody thought animals were people, because they aren't.
This concept is paramount.
Old May 12, 2014, 06:32 PM   #87
John828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
No, I hate it
Mike,

This was your response when asked if you hunt. May I ask do you target shoot or plink?
Old May 12, 2014, 06:40 PM   #88
Pahoo

Coyotes ???

Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up !!!

Oh yes,
Be Safe !!!
Old May 12, 2014, 06:58 PM   #89
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The two worst enemies of rational wildlife management in the US were Walt Disney and Felix Salter. They did NOT do documentaries.
Old May 12, 2014, 07:16 PM   #90
huntinaz

Walt Disney enlightened us, Art. Animals are people too. Wonderful world of magic, all that.
Old May 12, 2014, 07:27 PM   #91
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originlly poted by Brian Pleuger:

I'm curious what emotion I'm supposed to have when I kill a coyote, or any other animal. I'm supposed to be sad?
I generally have mixed emotions. Elation that I was successful and my tactics worked and a little sad because the hunt is over and something that was alive just moments before is dead. Somehow, whether it is a nice buck or the damn rabbit eating my Blueberry bushes, I try to show it some respect in death. That's what drives my ethics for the most part. Again, those ethics are mine and I need not to explain or justify them to anyone but myself as long as they are legal. If my aim was off or something beyond my control led to the animal suffering more than it should, I feel even sadder and it motivates me to do better next time. This has nuttin' to do with Walt Disney or humanizing the animal, it is called humanity and most folks consider it a positive trait.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahoo:

Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up !!!
Why is there a need if you killed the coyote legally and humanely?

A common practice around here for a few houndsmen is to run a coyote, adding enough fresh dogs at frequent intervals that the 'yote is finally caught by the dogs when it succumbs to exhaustion and the dogs rip the still alive coyote to pieces. It is an ugly sight and those that do it claim it is needed to reenforce the dogs desire to trail the 'yote. I have had bird-dogs all my life and have yet had any desire or seen any need to allow them to catch and disembowel a live bird on purpose. I truly believe those folks get some sort of sick thrill from the gore and screams from the unfortunate 'yote. Similar to those that pull the wings off flies. But then....they are just flies, eh?
Old May 12, 2014, 08:03 PM   #92
huntinaz

Quote:
A common practice around here for a few houndsmen is to run a coyote, adding enough fresh dogs at frequent intervals that the 'yote is finally caught by the dogs when it succumbs to exhaustion and the dogs rip the still alive coyote to pieces. It is an ugly sight and those that do it claim it is needed to reenforce the dogs desire to trail the 'yote
Sounds exactly like what coyotes do to deer. As you said before, it's ugly to us. It's life as usual for the coyote.

Quote:
I have had bird-dogs all my life and have yet had any desire or seen any need to allow them to catch and disembowel a live bird on purpose. I truly believe those folks get some sort of sick thrill from the gore and screams from the unfortunate 'yote.
I haven't done it, but I don't see how it's any different than what coyotes do. Take the dogs hunting, let them hunt. It's not sick when the coyotes do it, right? The dogs and the coyote damn sure don't know any different, I think we agree on that.

Retrievers are bred for different purposes than hounds, no? I think it's not an apples to apples comparison there.
Old May 12, 2014, 08:07 PM   #93
Paul B.

Mike 1234. I'm confused. You've stated that you hate hunting. You werealso asked if you did any shooting at just targets? No answer as of this post.
You say that anyone who enjoys the killing of an animal is sick When I kill an animal, regardless if it is a coyote ot a big game animal like the elk I took last season. I enjoy the fact that I made a good shot and made a quick and as painless a shot as I possible could.
What I am thinking, and so far people have been polite enough to not say it, sir, I think you're one of the bunnyhuggers who has come on to a hunting site to try and convince us to stop our evil ways. Methinks it ain't gonna happen. If I am mistaken I certainly will apologize but it's gonna take an awful lot to convince me otherwise.
I've been hunting something ever since my first deer hunt in 1949 at age 11. I'll be doing and elk hunt next January and hopefully a deer hunt come October. Both animals if I'm successful will be eaten to the very last scrap. That's what hunting is all about to me.
Paul B.
Old May 12, 2014, 09:37 PM   #94
Ruger480

Quote:
Sometimes we must kill for whatever reasons but why do so many hunters giggle and laugh when they kill something??
I have to wonder if you're making statements about a group based on what you've seen on TV...

Also, I would take it kindly if you did not group the people you see on the Outdoor Channel with real life hunters. The things you see there are not a true representation of other hunters.
Old May 13, 2014, 12:36 AM   #95
shortwave

Quote:
But there are many hunters (certainly not the majority of them) who either intentionally take a bad shot or miss the boiler room intentionally allowing coyote to scream in pain.
Unless you have a way of proving this statement, can we assume that you are just making an assumption based purely on your own feelings about hunters? If so, can we also assume that you actually know very little of the destruction coyote can do if left unchecked as they basically have been in many states due to the fact that pelts haven't paid much at all for the last several years and nobodies trapping them? And that your knowledge on the whole subject is only from what you hear or assume about hunters.
I've hunted for almost 50yrs. and have hunted around many, many hunters and can honestly say I have never witnessed another hunter that intentionally shot an animal to maim it for the enjoyment of watching it suffer.

Also, do to the fact that yotes have been out of hand for several years(and doing nothing but getting worse) and like many here, I've witnessed first hand the destruction of not only livestock, but the destruction of wildlife as well, I always try my best to make them DRT.

But you can bet two things:

1) If I see a yote, I am going to send something its way. If I have a bow, a .22 , a 3006 or a BP gun doesn't matter. I'm will fly something in its direction.

2) If the shot is a hit but not a killing shot and the yote runs off, I will not loose any sleep over it. But rather be delighted(and yes, may even smile) that that yote is not out there that night awaiting one of the calving cows to drop so it can rip the calf out of her or stalking the neighbors sheep or killing his chickens and dragging them to my field where I'll find all the feathers the next day.

If that makes me cruel, a psychopath, not grounded in reality or whatever other negative labels have been stated, so be it.

Far as being grounded in reality goes...come spend a few weeks here and you can get a true life, first hand reality check on the destruction of the yote. Want to get a better reality check, invest some of your own hard earned money and many hrs. of your time in some livestock only to go out and find the remnants of a few a month dead.
Your 'soft spot' for the yote may fade quickly.

Last edited by shortwave; May 13, 2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old May 13, 2014, 01:07 AM   #96
leadcounsel

Hunting? Uh huh.

I suppose if driving up to a field, tajing out a $1500 scoped rifle, and blasting 20 coyotes with a big ole grin ... hardly a single fair or sporting chance now is it?

Far cry from using real hunting skills or values or killing only when necessary and not wasting any of your kill.

May as well breed dogs for alley fighting and call that a sport.
Old May 13, 2014, 07:12 AM   #97
John828

I would like to hunt wherever leadcounsel envisions coyote hunting is done.
Old May 13, 2014, 07:42 AM   #98
Ruger480

Quote:
I would like to hunt wherever leadcounsel envisions coyote hunting is done.
You and me both.
Old May 13, 2014, 07:48 AM   #99
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Hunting? Uh huh.

I suppose if driving up to a field, tajing out a $1500 scoped rifle, and blasting 20 coyotes with a big ole grin ... hardly a single fair or sporting chance now is it?

Far cry from using real hunting skills or values or killing only when necessary and not wasting any of your kill.

May as well breed dogs for alley fighting and call that a sport.

More derisive assumptions based on only what you want to believe, with no rational basis.

You obviously know little to nothing about coyotes or hunting.
Old May 13, 2014, 07:55 AM   #100
skoro

A few decades back, I had a conversation with a sheriff's deputy who on occasion would patrol remote rural areas of the county. He said that he and others would regularly pull out their M-16s and take a shot at coyotes when the opportunity presented itself. I remember thinking at the time that I wouldn't do that. The yotes are a part of the natural scene and I'd just leave them alone.

In the years since, they've become enough of a nuisance and a danger to domestic livestock and pets that today, I'd shoot one with whatever I had at hand w/o a tinge of guilt.
Closed Thread