The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 28, 2019, 10:39 AM   #26
Ben Dover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Anything that burns anything can use up oxygen and produce CO2. Even though your blind isn't close to being air tight, if the rate of CO2 production is higher than the rate of air exchange it can KILL.

Here's an alternate, line the inside of the blind with "space blankets". No worry about CO2 and the very reflective sheets can "cook you out" from body heat alone under the right conditions.
And if it's bitterly cold, a large candle will work wonders when used with the space blankets.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old December 8, 2019, 09:40 AM   #27
sako2

Be careful with the propane heaters. https://wnep.com/2019/12/07/81-year-...in-tree-stand/
Old December 8, 2019, 04:12 PM   #28
reynolds357

The stand I am going to build this spring will have a bed and electricity in it.
Old December 8, 2019, 04:58 PM   #29
HiBC

Just for clarity, Carbon Monoxide (CO) and carbon dioxide (CO2) are different.

Carbon dioxide is what we breathe out. Carbon Monoxide is toxic. Our blood hemoglobin easily releases carbon dioxide. Then the hemoglobin is free to transfer oxygen again. Carbon monoxide forms a stable bond with the hemoglobin,which takes the hemoglobin out of action.Your blood quits transporting oxygen for you.
Carbon monoxide from combustion is very dangerous. FWIW,lanterns and coleman fuel stoves make some carbon monoxide. Too much time in a small mountaineering tent with the Svea 123 stove melting snow for water can significantly reduce your effective hemoglobin.That is compounded by being at high altitude.

The effects are cumulative. Breathing a little carbon monoxide every day will get to you. Don't use your trusty Coleman lantern to heat your camper.

CO2, carbon dioxide,actually CAN kill you.Its colorless,odorless,you can't tell you are breathing it,and its not oxygen. If the oxygen in a closed space is displaced by CO2,you can asphyxiate.

A subtle way that can happen is sleeping in a camper with coolers full of dry ice. Dry ice is pure CO2 frozen solid.

I don't think I'd trust my life to a heater made 30 years ago or more,even if it was Grandpa's.

But today's catalytics,if they clearly state they are rated for use indoors and enclosed spaces should be OK. You need some fresh air for yourselves and combustion.
Old December 8, 2019, 05:07 PM   #30
JERRYS.

even with shooting windows open for fresh air, you'd be surprised how warm the stand can get with a little propane heater. besides, you will be dressed for the occasion so it won't take much heat to make conditions comfortable.
Old December 10, 2019, 04:17 PM   #31
onlinebiker

I saw this thread and had to sign up.

I am currently in my blind. 25 feet up. 8x8 enclosed insulated blind. Carpeted. Flat screen tv. LED lighting. 75 watt solar panel and a car battery for storage.

Heat - I have 2. A small propane with a 20 lbs bottle on the lower open air deck.

The second is a charcoal heater I built out of 28 inches of 6 inch square tubing with 1/4 inch wall. It had a top back exhaust stack - using 1 1/2 inch water pipe for a chimney. You must wrap the chimney with header tape. NOT because it gets too hot - it cools too much - and causes backdrafting.

It works great - delivering dry heat. No fogged windows like propane causes. The top gets about 240fb the sides 400f. A piece of sheet rock protects the wall.

I have 2 carbon monoxide alarms - one with a PPM readout. I can run all day with the windows closed and see zero readings on monoxide.

It takes an hour or so to get really comfortable when first lighting - so I cheat a bit with some propane.

It goes through about 12 briquettes an hour. 4 every 20 minutes. A 16 lbs bag lasts over two full days.
Old December 10, 2019, 07:26 PM   #32
jimbob86

Quote:
No doubt that pkg {gravel} stuff will keep hands and feet warm for a short period.
The Hot Hands hand warmers usually produce heat for 8 to 10 hours ..... they are great things to have if you have kids in a blind with you .... it gives them hope and takes their mind off the cold .....

I am really surprised at how spoiled and soft we have become ..... a big screen TV? Seriously?????

Dress for the anticipated temps ...... keeping in mind that the very young, the infirm, and the old can't deal with it as well as the young, healthy, fit people can .....

.... I've been out sitting on a ruck with my back against a tree in the teens ..... sat in a hub blind many times when it's in single digits ...... Dress for it, but don't bundle up so tight on the walk in that you work up a sweat ..... you're toast once you are wet .... pack a blanket (kids brought summer weight sleeping bags to wrap up in), and a cushion to insulate your behind from the cold seat ..... bring some food, maybe a thermos of cocoa or coffee ..... and the most important thing: a positive mindset.....

A question for those who use various heaters: DO you ever worry that the deer will smell that stuff? I doubt burning propane is a normal smell in the woods ....
Old December 10, 2019, 10:26 PM   #33
onlinebiker

I had 9 young ones less than 100 yards from me this evening.. I had been running both charcoal and propane - and they were downwind. They did not seem to notice. Nor did they seem to spot the quad - under the white sheet camo - which was in their direct view.

They were there for almost 20 minutes.

Nothing worth wasting a tag over.

Plus - I hunt "mafia rules".

Leave no witnesses.

Edit to add. And its a small flat screen.

Look - any idiot can go out in the woods and be miserable. Comfort isn't a vice. It simply allows you to relax and do a job well.

Last edited by onlinebiker; December 10, 2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old December 10, 2019, 11:29 PM   #34
Ben Dover

Comfort is usually the result of a well planned, well thought out hunt.

There is no reason for being miserable.

A man with a good welder and a littlecskill can make a smaller version of this and stsy warm all day with a minimum amount of wood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EllisPackStove300.jpg (33.9 KB, 44 views)

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old December 11, 2019, 01:12 AM   #35
onlinebiker

Very nice.

That would heat a well insulatef house.

Old December 11, 2019, 03:45 AM   #36
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86 View Post
The Hot Hands hand warmers usually produce heat for 8 to 10 hours ..... they are great things to have if you have kids in a blind with you .... it gives them hope and takes their mind off the cold .....

I am really surprised at how spoiled and soft we have become ..... a big screen TV? Seriously?????

Dress for the anticipated temps ...... keeping in mind that the very young, the infirm, and the old can't deal with it as well as the young, healthy, fit people can .....

.... I've been out sitting on a ruck with my back against a tree in the teens ..... sat in a hub blind many times when it's in single digits ...... Dress for it, but don't bundle up so tight on the walk in that you work up a sweat ..... you're toast once you are wet .... pack a blanket (kids brought summer weight sleeping bags to wrap up in), and a cushion to insulate your behind from the cold seat ..... bring some food, maybe a thermos of cocoa or coffee ..... and the most important thing: a positive mindset.....

A question for those who use various heaters: DO you ever worry that the deer will smell that stuff? I doubt burning propane is a normal smell in the woods ....
I have hunted miserable and I have hunted in comfort. Give me my choice and I prefer the latter.
Old December 11, 2019, 10:24 AM   #37
jimbob86

Quote:
I have hunted miserable and I have hunted in comfort. Give me my choice and I prefer the latter.
I'm never miserable when I am hunting. I have been uncomfortable- tired, cold, wet, hot, thirsty, bruised, minor cuts, strained muscles ..... even been in a life threatening situation once (hypothermia) ..... but I wasn't ever "miserable".
Old December 11, 2019, 10:37 AM   #38
reynolds357

Quote:
I'm never miserable when I am hunting. I have been uncomfortable- tired, cold, wet, hot, thirsty, bruised, minor cuts, strained muscles ..... even been in a life threatening situation once (hypothermia) ..... but I wasn't ever "miserable".
Ok. I earn no badge of honor for enduring miserable conditions when I could just as easily be comfortable.
Old December 11, 2019, 10:42 AM   #39
jimbob86

Nobody earns a hunting badge ...... some of us love it, whatever the conditions.
Old December 11, 2019, 11:55 AM   #40
reynolds357

Quote:
Nobody earns a hunting badge ...... some of us love it, whatever the conditions.
If I have to endure adverse conditions, I do.
I would rather avoid them when practical
Old December 11, 2019, 01:53 PM   #41
onlinebiker

I have at times been accused by "purists" as not being a "real" hunter - because I sit in a comfortable heated blind.

Fine.

Let's just call it "grocery shopping with guns".

:P
Old December 11, 2019, 02:13 PM   #42
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
I have at times been accused by "purists" as not being a "real" hunter - because I sit in a comfortable heated blind.

Fine.

Let's just call it "grocery shopping with guns".

:P
One of my friends says I am not a real hunter because I dont hunt with a longbow.
Old December 11, 2019, 03:13 PM   #43
FITASC

Quote:
Something like this can be used with a 1 pound bottle rather than the expensive little ones like shown in the listing.
I have one of those for a 5 gallon tank; that can crank out some HEAT! But it can be noisy with the rushing gas and flame - if you use something like this, make sure it is not near anything flammable and there is adequate ventilation if in an enclosed area.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 27, 2023, 06:31 PM   #44
huntingfever

bit late but i was looking for something along the same lines, unfortunately after looking, nothing really beats propane for the blistering cold. i would highly recommend checking out the Mr. Heater Little Buddy Propane Heater i read about here.

its compact, portable and easy to use. even has some built in oxygen sensors and tip over switch that will auto shutoff in times of danger as far as i know. if you choose to give up the search for battery powered, check this one out for sure.

hopefully those searching the forums can see this if they have the same question