The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2013, 04:20 PM   #26
reynolds357

I like the Collet die concept. That is why I bought another one. It was defective, thus this thread.
Old March 29, 2013, 04:29 PM   #27
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The "defect" rate is a bit troublesome, I'll admit. I have a total of probably 25 Lee dies of various kinds. I have had two that were defective, one being the 243Win collet die and the other being a 10mm carbide sizer that had something wrong with the carbide ring.

Still though, Lee will make it right and the price is unbeatable. That, combined with the unbelievable ease of use compared to "normal" dies and I'll deal with the defects.

I put about a 1/2 hour of work into each set, polishing and cleaning them. I do that with the other brands too, so that's not really a negative, the Lee's just need it a bit more.
Old March 29, 2013, 04:33 PM   #28
reynolds357

I do like Lee's reloading manual. Its first rate. Well, second rate now that Berger came out with one.
Old March 30, 2013, 09:23 AM   #29
cwbys4evr

Re: Lee Dies

Lee Precision made it affordable for me to get into reloading. I have had problems with their primer feed on the Pro 1000 but that problem has been solved for the most part and it was probably my fault, but I like their dies. Disclaimer: I have no experience with other die sets so I have nothing to compare it to other than to say they work well after I made the necessary adjustments.
Old March 31, 2013, 03:34 PM   #30
dickttx

I just happened to be looking into this a month ago and compiled the following info:

Pistol Die Costs
4 Die 3 Die Shellholder
Lee 40.99 31.49 0
Hornady 70.27 48.78 4.79
Lyman 77.18 57.18 7.19
RCBS 78.97 57.98 7.99
Redding 111.77 85.78 8.79

Source: Midway USA 2/28/13

Shellholder included in cost.

I have RCBS, Lyman, Hornady and Lee. I use Lee. Never had to send anything back from the time I bought their 98ยข campher/deburr gadget about 1969, until my last purchase a few months ago.
Old March 31, 2013, 05:15 PM   #31
CrustyFN

Quote:
I am with the OP - at least for the sizing dies. The decapping pin never seems to want to thread straight and feels like you are cross threading.
What Lee dies are you using? I have four sets of Lee dies and none of the decaping pins are threaded. I also have never had a problem with them.
Old March 31, 2013, 05:17 PM   #32
NWPilgrim

Hey Peetza this is a great idea, thanks for explaining it!

I like my RCBS X-dies, but like your idea, too. So I took the decapping pin/neck expander off the RCBS mandrel. I'll use this as the body sizing die and get a Lee collet sizer die for the neck. Sounds perfect for my .223, .30-06 and .308 semi-autos.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 31, 2013, 10:50 PM   #33
FrankenMauser

Quote:
What Lee dies are you using? I have four sets of Lee dies and none of the decaping pins are threaded. I also have never had a problem with them.
I believe he's referring to the nut ("decapper clamp") that tightens the decapping stem.

It uses a really stupid tapered thread, that even the plumbing industry gave up on many years ago.
If you don't watch what you're doing, it's quite easy to cross-thread it. I've seen three Lee dies that were cross-threaded, straight from the factory.
Old April 1, 2013, 01:51 AM   #34
thump_rrr

I got into reloading using a Lee Aniversary kit a couple of years ago.
I believe many people got into reloading for a reasonable cost due to Richard Lee and the hobby would be much smaller without his contributions to the reloading world.

Since then I have purchased many higher priced products from Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, Redding, L.E. Wilson and many others.

I still purchase a set of Lee dies for every caliber I shoot to use on my Single stage press.
I purchase a duplicate set in Hornady if it is a caliber that I will be reloading on my progressive press press because the Lee die boxes cannot be closed when the dies have Hornady LnL bushings on them.

The ammunition shot on this target at 100y was made with the Lee dies pictured.
It was not shot with some benchrest rifle but by me with a Savage 10BA.
I had less than 1,000 rounds of rifle shooting under my belt at the time.
They were carefully assembled using Lapua brass, Sierra Matchking bullets, CCI BR-2 primers and Varget.
3x 5 rounds and 1x 2 rounds (ran out of ammo)