The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2011, 07:46 PM   #1
golfnutrlv

.45 ACP Load, unburnt powder, dirty gun, help!!

Hey everyone, just when I thought that I had found a good load for my Kimber 1911, this pops up. I am getting a significant amount of unburnt powder inside the slide and frame of my 1911. See pictures below. Gun is not over lubed, and was clean before it was fired to create this. Less than 100 rounds did this.

Not sure what the deal is, if I need to try a different powder or what. The first batch I made with this powder was too hot, too much muzzle blast and recoil. So, I knocked it down some, and got this mess.

Any suggestions for another powder, or some other cause. All i'm looking to find is a good, clean target load. I want it to be reasonably close to factory .45 auto in terms of recoil, etc to train properly.

Thanks everyone!!

Load Data:
Gun: Kimber Custom II 5"
Bullet: Montana Gold FMJ 230 gr
Powder: Hodgdon HS-6, 8.0 grs
Primer: Winchester
Case: Federal

America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Last edited by golfnutrlv; February 1, 2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old February 1, 2011, 08:08 PM   #2
88KEYS

I was working up some carry rounds and tried HS-6 using a magnum primer and yes you get some flash. I shoot 200 SWC in my Kimbers and use a fast powder Red Dot works great. I had no powder issues it should be a good choice for the 230 grain.

As for the powder you found just a few things you might check.
Crimp Too Light
Clean/Clear Primer Hole
Charge Weight (Zero the scale and make sure it is what you want)

I know you will get help from the Forum.
Old February 1, 2011, 08:11 PM   #3
wncchester

Your powder is too slow burning for the reduced pressue load.
Old February 1, 2011, 08:17 PM   #4
chris in va

My Lyman manual doesn't list HS-6 for anything in the jacketed 230gr range. Might want to try something else.
Old February 1, 2011, 08:20 PM   #5
totaldla

Nothing wrong with dirt unless it is slopping goo on you when firng. HS6 will get cleaner if you stay towards the top-end of the load range.

If you want performance without the flash, you can try AA#5. If you want better performance with similar flash, try PowerPistol. If you mediocre performance but cleaner, try 231/HP38. If you want a different kind of dirt use Bullseye or Unique. If you want poofter loads that have zero flash and are uber-clean, try Hodgdon Clays.

In general though, unless the dirt is effecting operation, keep shooting. I think folks get a little carried away sometimes with "clean burning" and "leading".
Old February 1, 2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That's not really a low pressure load, QuickLoad predicts 19,350 psi, but I do suspect the powder is not the best choice for 45acp.... QuickLoad thinks you'd only burn about 86% of an 8.0gr charge in a 5" barrel. That's 1.2gr unburned powder.
Old February 1, 2011, 08:31 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

19,350 psi is near max for standard .45 ACP loads. Agree, though, that you'll burn Power Pistol a lot better.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 1, 2011, 08:43 PM   #8
golfnutrlv

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Another note, I also tried HP-38, and did not like the performance it gave me. Too weak. Cycled the action, but felt like a 9mm 1911!!!!

Based on what I have read so far from everyone, I will try Accurate no 5, and Power Pistol to start with.

Other ideas welcome, keep em coming!!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old February 1, 2011, 08:48 PM   #9
GP100man

The standard by which other loads are compared to , 5grs of WW231/HP-38

Never tried PP before , IMR 700x is good as well as CLAYS, nice clean burn & controllable pressure

Reread some , you`ll like 700x !!!
Old February 1, 2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

QuickLoad thinks Power Pistol would be just as bad in the unburnt powder category.... max load around 8.1gr and only 82% burn.

You might try N330 or N340 to get results in the same fps range. QuickLoad predicts 100% and 97.7% burn at max charge, respectively. Vihtavuori powders are known for being excellent performers and clean burning, generally.
Old February 1, 2011, 09:12 PM   #11
BDS-THR

Quote:
I also tried HP-38, and did not like the performance it gave me. Too weak. Cycled the action, but felt like a 9mm 1911!!!!
How much HP38 did you use? What OAL did you use?

5.0 gr with 230 gr will give you a moderate, clean load. If you want more velocity, increase powder charge towards max.

According to Hodgdon load data, W231/HP38 should produce comparable velocity as HS-6
Quote:
230 gr HDY FMJ FP W231/HP-38 Max 5.3 gr (832 fps)
230 gr HDY FMJ FP Hodgdon HS-6 Max 8.2 gr (825 fps)

230 gr HDY FMJ FP Winchester AutoComp Max 6.6 gr (871 fps)
230 gr HDY FMJ FP Hodgdon Universal Max 5.6 gr (844 fps)
230 gr HDY FMJ FP Winchester WSF Max 6.4 gr (851 fps)
Old February 1, 2011, 09:16 PM   #12
golfnutrlv

Peetzakilla,

Thanks for the burn info, does quick load list a burn percentage for AA no 5??

BDS,

I used 5.0 gr HP38, and 1.255 COAL.
Old February 1, 2011, 09:27 PM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
does quick load list a burn percentage for AA no 5??
It does..... lousy... around 78% at that same fps region.

W231 is predicted as 100% burn in that load range, as is Hodgdon Universal.

Those are all near max loads to reach your 920-950ish fps.
Old February 1, 2011, 09:57 PM   #14
BDS-THR

golfnutrlv, could you be over-crimping?

I shoot with a guy who has several Kimbers (5" and 3") and 5.0 gr of W231/HP38 is his favorite accurate load now. The recoil from 230 gr load is slightly less than full power factory load but nowhere near 9mm.

Are your powder/primers fresh?
Old February 1, 2011, 10:03 PM   #15
golfnutrlv

BDS,

My powder/primers are brand new. I use HS-6 for my 9mm loads, and it's great, clean as all get out.

I don't think i'm overcrimping. .469 is my measurement after crimping.

Peetzakilla,

Ughhh on the burn rate, thanks for the info. Much more thinking to do.
Old February 1, 2011, 10:20 PM   #16
alfack

I use 5.2 gr. of AA#2 for that bullet and it is very clean. It feels very close to factory ammo, but I haven't ever run any across the chrony.
Old February 1, 2011, 11:00 PM   #17
HawkeyeNRAlifer

+1 for the accurate #2 load. I like that load for all my 45's. W231 works well too.
Old February 1, 2011, 11:16 PM   #18
Powderman

Hm. Interesting comments here.

Someone described a Clays load as a "poofter" load. Don't know about that; I do know that 4.0 of Clays under a 200 grain HG 68 LSWC, sized at .452 and lubed with Javelina Alox, crimped to .470 will cycle my Colt Enhanced with a 20 lb recoil spring.

As for Power Pistol, this is a powder that is aptly named. 8.1 grains was listed as a max load; 6.8 under a 230 grain FMJ chronographed at 910 fps from my hardball gun, a custom Springfield 1911A1.

And for HP38, I have loaded 4.5 under the 230 grain LSWC. Chronographs right at 830 fps--which is the lower end of the military load, known as Cartridge, Ball, .45 Automatic Colt Pistol.

All of those loads burns super clean in my guns.
Old February 1, 2011, 11:37 PM   #19
Wag

I'm not a real fan of HS-6 but in some loads, it does well.

Lately, I use as much 231 as possible. ;-)

--Wag--
Old February 1, 2011, 11:41 PM   #20
golfnutrlv

Thanks everyone. Been reading all my manuals, reading about powder types, trying to find more info.

Going to try some AA no 2, sounds like a good balance of power, charge size, and cleanliness from what I have read.

Keep you all updated.

Thanks a million everyone.
Old February 2, 2011, 08:51 AM   #21
steve4102

Ramshot Silhouette!
Old February 2, 2011, 11:50 AM   #22
Unclenick
Staff

Note that incomplete burning is going to be characteristic of loads in pistol-length barrels that produce maximum velocities. I doesn't matter which high power factor producing powder you use, in order to get maximum acceleration in the short tube without exceeding peak pressure limitations, you have to eat that inefficiency and the extra recoil that results, but the bullet has a move on.

Like Pizzakilla, I usually turn to QuickLOAD for an initial indication of best powder choices. However, its model has limitations. For example, it shows Power Pistol being in the same burn rate range as HS-6 and is correct that a similar portion will be incompletely burned by the time the projectile clears the bore, but that's not the same as revealing how much and what kind of fouling will be left behind. Fouling often depends on compounding details, such as the purity of the nitrocellulose used (did it come from nitrated wood fiber (dirty) or cotton fiber (clean). It is also affected by how much graphite was worked into the surface or what deterrent coatings were used or how much nitroglycerin was incorporated.

The above factors are the reason rifle powders made by Vihtavuori are often remarked upon as being cleaner burning than other brands of stick powder with similar burning rates. Indeed, differences in fouling among powders with similar burning rates is pronounced enough that rifle match shooters avoid using short and long range loads with different powders in them during the same match. It has been found to take up to a dozen rounds or so for the rifle to settle after making the change. That's due to differences in bore friction as the bullet plows through fouling with differences in thickness deposited per shot, as well as difference in consistency and lubricity.

So, as to using Power Pistol over the older HS-6 formulation, my experience is that it does not foul as badly. It's ballistic efficiency is no higher and its recoil no less, as QuickLOAD calculates, but for similar power level loads it just doesn't seem to pack fouling in the spaces between the sliding parts of the gun up as quickly. This all has some dependency on the details of your firearm and its chamber geometry, so YMMV.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 6, 2011, 03:34 PM   #23
golfnutrlv

Alright everyone, reviving my old thread with an update.

Loaded some test rounds and went to the range today. Tried accurate no 5, and HP38 again.

For Accurate No 5, I started with these charges: COL was 1.255 in all cases.

I had the same powder fouling with the lower charges, but the higher charges were better.

I also loaded some HP-38 at:
5.3, COL 1.255.

This load did better than my first attempt.

The big question I have, is what is the upper limit on HP-38? All the data I have seen is 5.3 is max. However, the pressure is listed at only 16,800. There has got to be potential for higher charges. Anyone loading HP-38 with 230 Gr FMJ higher than 5.3 gr????

Thanks,

Last edited by golfnutrlv; February 6, 2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old February 6, 2011, 03:42 PM   #24
mikejonestkd

I use win 231 which is essentially the same powder as HP-38 and my manuals list up to 5.8 grains behind a 230 FMJ. As always, work up to it slowly and watch for pressure signs.

The IMR website lists 5.3 as max for a 230 grain jacketed bullet though.

Last edited by mikejonestkd; February 6, 2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old February 6, 2011, 04:32 PM   #25
golfnutrlv

Correction made to pressure number.