The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2000, 04:21 PM   #1
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Is it feasible to trim and fireform .32acp brass to bottleneck down to about 5.45 Russian dimensions and use 40 grain .223 bullets with it? Would a round like this function reliably or at all in a Russian PSM? (seems that the pistol itself is occasionally found around the world but the ammo for it is scarce: $1.25US per shot in Finland and unobtainable here)

Or, would a better way be using discarding sabots around a .223 fired from a .32 pistol like a PPK or P32?

Just occured to me that a simpler way may be to replace the projectile in a .22lr or .22mag with a steel spitzer turned on a lather or cast. Would still need a sabot to protect the rifling, right?
------------------
Oleg "cornered rat" Volk (JPFO,NRA)

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

[This message has been edited by Oleg Volk (edited February 09, 2000).]
Old February 9, 2000, 08:34 PM   #2
Daniel Watters

In the July/August 1977 issue of American Handgunner, Andy Barton published an article about a .22/32 ACP wildcat, named the .22 Flea. Designed by Dave Corbin (the bullet swaging tool guru), the .22 Flea was tested in a customized FN 1922 semi-auto pistol and a T/C Contender. Barton mainly used 37gr JHP provided by Corbin, but he also stated that 40gr .22 Hornet projectiles would also work. The loading/chrono data shows that the wildcat could exceed 1400fps, but the text doesn't indicate from which test gun that was clocked. At the time of the story, Corbin could provide the dies, reamers, and bullets, but it appears that some of it may have originally come from RCBS.

I don't think that you have enough case capacity and cartridge OAL to use sabots effectively in a .32 ACP. As for steel projectiles, including the obvious legal issues, I'd also worry about the projectile's sharp point gouging the feed ramp.

Using FMJ projectiles designed for the 5.56x45mm in the .22 Magnum should be feasible given a long enough magazine or cylinder. However, I'd be very careful about swapping projectiles into the rimfire case. One wouldn't want to detonate the priming compound. I'd also want to start with one of the heavy-weight projectile .22 Mag offerings in order to avoid any potential pressure problems.

[This message has been edited by Daniel Watters (edited February 10, 2000).]