The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 1, 2012, 12:30 AM   #1
micksis86

Building a Twede with an M38 barrel?

Hi,

I have a 98 turkish mauser action and i've been reading about twede's.
I can get a new swedish model 38 barrel reasonably cheap and I'm wondering if I could use this to build a twede?

What about a 1904 verguerio action, would the above barrel fit one of them?

Thanks

Last edited by micksis86; April 1, 2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old April 2, 2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

As far as a "twede" I have no idea what you're talking about. The 1904 vaguerio is not a Model 98, is much weaker, and is not suitable for building into something else. Goat
Old April 2, 2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Jim Watson

I looked it up.
A "Tweed" is a Turkish action with small ring barrel threads and a 6.5x55 Swedish barrel.

The real question is whether YOU can use the parts to make a working rifle.
The site I saw indicated there was a fair amount of gunsmithing involved.
Sounds like a good DIY if you have the tools and knowhow but it would get expensive paying a gunsmith to do it.

I no longer have my DeHaas to look but doubt if the Vergureio uses Mauser barrel threads. If it did, it would probably handle the 6.5x55. Many of them were rebarrelled to 8mm Mauser when Portugal went to the German caliber.
Old April 3, 2012, 05:55 AM   #4
micksis86

Thanks guys, I've read alot abour the vaguerios and while they're not neccesarily the best they are fine for 8mm loads. It is for a mate that has one and I told him i'd do some research. I'm going to advise that he try and get rid of it and get something newer since i don't think it's worth the trouble.

I'll think further about the turkish mauser thing i may just keep it. It's still in transit to me so I haven't had the chance to give it a thorough once over once i do i'll decide where to go from there.

I'm thinking of using it as a project rifle to possibly restore and learn some gunsmithing methods such as stock refinishing and re bluing etc along the way.

I know some people may from on restoring a rifle and I usually do but this rifle was so cheap that it will be a great opportunity to learn on that i otherwise wouldn't get to do due to the cost.

Thanks for the help
Old April 10, 2012, 05:05 PM   #5
gyvel

Models 93-96 all have 12 V TPI, with a threaded length of .645, and a thread diameter of .980, according to De Haas.

Nothing about the Verguiero in my copy, though. It was more or less a Mannlicher type action married to a Mauser type box magazine.

Last edited by gyvel; April 10, 2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old April 13, 2012, 01:11 AM   #6
Ron T. B.

tweed

I built a tweed. I have a barrel vice and a mauser action wrench. I bought a new surplus barrel from one of the importers a some years ago. I put the new barrel on a model 38. I took the used barrel, still in excellent condition, and screwed it on the turk action. I have a 6.5x55 finish reamer and head space gauges. I needed both. The 6.5 rounds feed flawlessly from the magazine. The only fly in the ointment, the firing pin hit slightly off center. The base of the 6.5 round is a little larger than the base on a 8mm mauser cartridge. There is a little lip on one side of the bolt face, I milled this out a little bit with a dremel tool to accomodate the base of the 6.5 cartridge. The firing pin now hits on center. I drilled and tapped the action and put a $20.00 Tasco scope on it. I haven't shot it in the last couple of years, however it was consistantly around an inch and a half for five shots at one hundred yards.
Old April 15, 2012, 01:55 AM   #7
micksis86

thanks for the info Ron T.B still deciding what i'm going to do at the moment but I might PM you with further questions at some stage if it isn't too much trouble.