The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 20, 2019, 04:36 PM   #1
JJ45

American rifleman cover!

Don't know how many saw the cover of AMERICAN RIFLEMAN magazine that just came. June issue. Or even if you are an NRA member. No matter.

That GI on the cover really made me proud to be an American, not that I really needed reinforcement. God bless him and God bless our "greatest generation"

Take a look at the wood on that Garand
Old May 28, 2019, 10:49 PM   #2
bamaranger

yup

Picked up on the wood on that Garand as well. Also the "lock bar" rear sight, which was correct, but not that often seen today on CMP or other rifles.

The by-line inside the covers ID's that trooper as an LT and apparently the entire photo showing his kit and rifle was not published.
Old May 29, 2019, 08:37 AM   #3
greentick

I think it also mentioned that that rifle was not the weapon he jumped either... I wonder if he was victimized by weapons bag detaching upon the opening shock of his chute.
Old May 29, 2019, 08:53 AM   #4
Ed4032

I get the e-copy version so I had not noticed. I will have to go back and look. In the mean time can someone post a copy of the picture?
Old May 31, 2019, 03:56 PM   #5
jrothWA

That American.

sums up the character of all ALLIED troops/ resistance fighters, commencing on the GREATEST crusade.

They ARE the GREATEST generation!
Old June 4, 2019, 06:56 PM   #6
Bart Noir

It was a good little article, combining mention of heroic actions with the weapons used for them.

There is a picture of the British gliders a day or more after the troopers sailed silently in and captured that important bridge, Pegasus I believe. Those planes are within pistol shot of the bridge they wanted to capture. Impressive successful assault, with a posthumous Victoria Cross story.

So, yeah, the Allies as a group are deserving of credit.

Bart Noir
Who thinks the Sten Mk V is even uglier than the Owen sub-gun. But the Aussie SMG was tested and proven more reliable. Nothing that works well is truly ugly.

Edited: Looked again and am not sure the pic with the gliders is right at the bridge. I was thinking of a pic in a book I had just seen.

Last edited by Bart Noir; June 5, 2019 at 02:35 PM.