The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 11, 2019, 04:19 PM   #26
Reloadron

What was the ME and TE?

ME (Muzzle Erosion)
TE Throat Erosion

The ME and TE numbers are derived using a gauge. There are a variety of gauges available from various manufacturers. When a CMP rifle ships they include the gauge readings for the muzzle and throat of the rifle you get. Here is one such example and explanation: The Infamous Throat Erosion Gage.

Never mind, being slow on the uptake I figured out you wanted the actual numbers. Duh!

Ron
Old May 12, 2019, 09:18 AM   #27
agtman

Quote:
lunger: If asking about my special, Has new barrel. So zero and zero.
Your new Criterion barrel will for sure not disappoint, provided you hold up your end of the marksmanship equation. Remember, 'it's the singer, not the song.'

That said, experienced M1-users will tell you that of the three criteria for judging what might be called the 'shoot-ability' of a CMP USGI barrel - TE, ME, and MW - the last two are by far the most important.

While ME typically refers to the internal or interior wear on the barrel at the muzzle, MW is actually the condition of the crown. There, you're looking for imperfections like dings, dents, burrs, and 'saw' marks, which are telltale wear patterns from careless and repeated passes of the cleaning rod(s) by previous owner(s), typically soldiers. The rods have basically cut into the crown, which is final contact point for the bullet before it exits the barrel.

So on a given USGI barrel, you can have a relatively high TE number without accuracy being noticeably affected as long as the ME measures out on the low end and the condition of the crown is otherwise intact (MW).
Old May 12, 2019, 09:53 AM   #28
lunger

Good info thanks. I have purchased a muzzle protector to use while cleaning along with ratcheting chamber brush , and plastic chamber insert. May use bore snake for cleaning between sessions.

If in future I buy one with USGI barrel I will inspect as suggested.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:09 AM   #29
veprdude

+1 on the bore snake. If you're shooting any non-corrosive ammo a bore snake is all you really need to clean 95%+ of the gunk out. No need to religiously clean the bore with a rod every range trip of 50 rounds.

Dirt, dust and burnt powder attracts moisture and rust. No gunk no rust.
Old June 1, 2019, 11:22 AM   #30
lunger

Following up on my OP. Finally got around to shooting My Field Grade Special.I have been having some medical issues.

Put 20 rounds through it .Attached target is 5 shots 100 yards. PPU ammo off a front sand bag. My eyes aren't what they used to be,getting new glasses next week. With practice and maybe better ammo I know this thing will do much better.

To say I am impressed is an understatement. Anyone looking for a shooter and not concerned with collect-ability I highly recommend these specials. Mine had very little pitting and looks like a new rifle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Target.jpg (180.7 KB, 28 views)
Old June 1, 2019, 02:08 PM   #31
Reloadron

The only person who need be happy is you. Myself, I would be real happy with that target. Enjoy your new to you rifle and I hope it brings you many happy range hours.

Ron
Old June 1, 2019, 02:22 PM   #32
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadron View Post
What was the ME and TE?

ME (Muzzle Erosion)
TE Throat Erosion

The ME and TE numbers are derived using a gauge. There are a variety of gauges available from various manufacturers. When a CMP rifle ships they include the gauge readings for the muzzle and throat of the rifle you get. Here is one such example and explanation: The Infamous Throat Erosion Gage.
Does anyone disagree with the link on barrel erosion stating that bore/groove diameters at the muzzle enlarge with gas cutting as bullets leaving causes more accuracy loss than throat erosion?
Old June 1, 2019, 04:10 PM   #33
Reloadron

Quote:
Does anyone disagree with the link on barrel erosion stating that bore/groove diameters at the muzzle enlarge with gas cutting as bullets leaving causes more accuracy loss than throat erosion?
I think a few things. Firstly I think it would make for a new interesting topic. I say this because this thread, based on its original topic has pretty much run its course.

The discussion on the actual cause of muzzle erosion, as seen on the mentioned gauge, has been discussed, occasionally hotly discussed, for years, even before Internet forums. I guess in a new thread things like the actual pressure when the bullet exits the muzzle, the heat available at the muzzle when the bullet exits. We could also wonder about the gas port in the barrel and if that hole suffers any erosion? Let's not forget the argument that GI vigorous cleaning with a steel rod hitting the edges of the muzzle damaged the muzzle.

Anyway, if this is a question I see a new thread as being more viable for discussion than drifting this thread off the main topic simply to start a discussion of muzzle erosion.

Ron
Old June 1, 2019, 10:58 PM   #34
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadron View Post
I think a few things. Firstly I think it would make for a new interesting topic. I say this because this thread, based on its original topic has pretty much run its course.

The discussion on the actual cause of muzzle erosion, as seen on the mentioned gauge, has been discussed, occasionally hotly discussed, for years, even before Internet forums. I guess in a new thread things like the actual pressure when the bullet exits the muzzle, the heat available at the muzzle when the bullet exits. We could also wonder about the gas port in the barrel and if that hole suffers any erosion? Let's not forget the argument that GI vigorous cleaning with a steel rod hitting the edges of the muzzle damaged the muzzle.

Anyway, if this is a question I see a new thread as being more viable for discussion than drifting this thread off the main topic simply to start a discussion of muzzle erosion.

Ron
Good idea.
Old June 2, 2019, 08:00 AM   #35
mehavey

If the OP's a reloader, see here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20000620...rpo/M1load.htm

If not . . .
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=1791292 (w/ which the OP shot at nice target )

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/95...l-metal-jacket

and for light reading
https://www.guns.com/news/2011/08/16...-garand-part-i
https://www.guns.com/news/2011/08/23...garand-part-ii

Last edited by mehavey; June 2, 2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old June 2, 2019, 09:00 AM   #36
lunger

Thanks for the links. Very interesting read. I am not a reloader. But as I approach retirement maybe it's never too late to start .
Old June 2, 2019, 10:30 AM   #37
Bart B.

Go to this thread on Garand chamber pressures.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...91#post6722991

Last edited by Bart B.; June 2, 2019 at 10:42 AM.