The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 6, 2009, 08:02 PM   #26
Hondo11

Quote:
Hondo11's Tazer suggestion sounds like a good plan too...
I didn't recommend the taser. That was someone else. Pregnant or not, I'd have her using a pistol to defend herself. Tasers work while they're ON. What's she gonna do, leave it running until the police get there? The dude would look like cooked bacon when they finally arrived.
Old February 6, 2009, 08:13 PM   #27
jesus5150

Quote:
davlandrum;
Thanks for your service!
BIG +1 on that.

Be safe man, keep your prayers going (If you are a believer) i'll send some as well (Even if you're not) And i'm sure It'll all be fine. That's not just a kind word, Based on what you've said about her and some of the GREAT ideas that have been posted I'm fully confident that things will be great. You'll look back and chuckle in 10 (If you even remember)

Good Luck Buddy
Old February 7, 2009, 12:03 AM   #28
GetYerShells

Ok a quick update. My wife decided to go up and spend the remaining days of my deployment at her parents house. They live about 40 mins north of us in Cibolo TX. She's going to go down to our place a few times a week just to check on things. I told to to make sure before she gets out of the car to give a quick scan of the area and see if anyone she doesn't recognize is around. Anything that looks out of the ordinary usually is. I just told her to make sure to keep her witts about her. I also told her to take our dog with her everywhere she goes. We have a black lab. Not exactly a great guard dog but she's big and looks intimidating. I plan on geting a Doberman when I get home to step up our security system. Thank you for all the great advice everyone. I really appreciate the help.
Old February 7, 2009, 12:07 AM   #29
jesus5150

Good to hear

I'm glad you had that opportunity available! Stay safe.
Old February 7, 2009, 12:44 AM   #30
Rescue2

Great update, but as a suggestion, don't sell your Lab short on its "protection" capabilities. They can be very formidible when things get hinky, and they know when things aren't "right".

They generally have a great sense of "family", and will be a wonderful companion to your soon to be born child.

I'd omit the Dobie plans, and rely on the Lab...
Old February 7, 2009, 02:16 AM   #31
Gazpacho

I don't recommend guns for Pregnant women because of the noise issue, and the high possibility of Lead exposure from the primers. Doctors also recommend pregnant women not eat a lot of tuna because of lead contamination issues.

I realize the high importance of protecting the wife against immediate dangers. I just want to point out future dangers certain self defense choices may have on the baby.

Hondo11,
Interestingly enough, Tazers do have a "leave ON" feature. If the user desires, the Tazer can be left ON, shocking the assailant for up to 30 seconds, giving a small escape window. An extra 30 seconds could give the wife time to either grab a firearm, or escape the area. As a matter of fact, The manufacturer's warranty states that chould you use the Tazer in self defense, and subsequently loose it (because you ran away for instance), if you send Tazer a copy of a police report, Tazer will send you a brand new one, free of charge.

Tazers can be carried without a permit in 43 states (according to their website).
Old February 7, 2009, 03:33 AM   #32
freakintoguns

glad to her your wifes ok man! god bless you for Serving too! my suggestion would have been call some buddies that are on base and not deployed to check on her. poop for brains might think twice bout messing witha couple military guys.
Old February 7, 2009, 08:29 AM   #33
scorpion_tyr

I'm glad to hear your wife is okay and I hope all remains well for you. After the child is born and when she's able to, consider getting her a gun, one that she picks out. Then get lots of practice on the range with her.

Normally I wouldn't advise leaving your home unattended after something like that happened, but in your case that's absolutely the best option. I'm really glad to hear she at least had pepper spray on her. Good luck and hopefully you'll return home safe and soon!

Quote:
my suggestion would have been call some buddies that are on base and not deployed to check on her. poop for brains might think twice bout messing witha couple military guys.
+1 to that! If you know any younger guys that you trust a whole bunch that still live in the dorms/barracks maybe one or two of them would be willing to stay at your place while your wife is away. They'd probably be willing to get out of the dorms for a while and it'll deter the crap out of most BG's.
Old February 7, 2009, 12:14 PM   #34
noyes

Ultimate protector i.m.o.

Last edited by noyes; February 8, 2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old February 7, 2009, 03:18 PM   #35
Para Bellum

Get her a taser C1 and some "protected by Smith & Wesson"-Sickers for the door. That should do.
Old February 7, 2009, 04:34 PM   #36
Kline605

Glad to hear that everything worked out. I agree about the Lab. They are a great family dog and usually pretty freindly, but I have seen my mut go "HULK" a couple of times at the right moment.

Now, last bit of advise from someone that has deployed, GET YOUR MIND BACK INTO THE GAME, and come home safely.
Old February 7, 2009, 06:27 PM   #37
jesus5150

The Lab

I grew up farming, and everyone in my "town" (all 400 of us spread out a mile apart each) had labs... I know because we'd all meet for church on sunday and all you'd see were flat beds with old grey labs sleeping in the back.... Ours used to roam around at night and beat up coyotes two or three at a time (we watched her with Bi-nocs as she'd howl on the porch for a half hour then head off to the creek) took on porcupines twice (231 quills removed the first time) and i've heard stories of them getting bears on the lips good enough to get out alive with the bear high-tailing it. I don't know how to explain it, they are so loving and trusting but they sense it when you go from green to yellow, and you'll see their ears perk up and they'll put their nose to the ground for you. If someone came over and we didn't let them in immediately the hackles would stand up on the back of her neck and she'd let out a low rumble and get into a low - wide stance... They know.