The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 5, 2018, 11:37 AM   #26
RC20

o matter who owns/runs the range they can have a policy.

Many have a after the shutdown cleanup by brass sellers.

You can keep your own brass, you are not supposed to pick up someone elses brass if they leave it.

I will ask, sometimes they will offer it as they see I reload.

The only issue we ever had was a shooter who was picking up our brass, that got pretty testy. Our cases were on the edge of his shooting area, but the accepted MO is that you let the shooter pick up his brass as yours is going right as well.
Old March 5, 2018, 11:53 AM   #27
lamarw

I am fortunate and do not have to go to ranges. I shoot on my property. Even then Mother Nature acts as the Range Manager and keeps some of my brass.
Old March 5, 2018, 11:54 AM   #28
rickyrick

Sounds like a classic case of a policy that makes customer mad. The employee stuck enforcing the policy gets berated by customers that’s aggravated by the fact that it’s company policy and not some law.
Employee discovers that by saying that it’s an OSHA rule, most people won’t question it. worker has a much better day.
I’ve seen that happen at other businesses as well.
Old March 5, 2018, 12:06 PM   #29
DaleA

Quote:
--how would you be able to 'know' what's yours if the shooter in the next lane is working with the same caliber (if that matters)?
I shot in an old duffers bullseye league for a while where EVERYBODY reloaded and almost everybody shot .45 ACP 1911's. (and almost everybody shot 200 grain lead semi-wadcutters with just enough Bullseye powder to get the bullet down range with enough force to punch a hole in the paper target. Getting thru the cardboard backer was optional. )

Everybody marked their brass and after a course of fire everybody picked up the brass in their own lanes. If it was yours you kept it if it wasn't you set it case head up on the table behind the line.

We didn't think anything of it but one of the members brought a guest one night that described the range as 'Bang, bang, bang. Scramble, scramble, scramble.'

Marking your brass was everything from one guy with his own head stamp punch, to another guy that put a dab of 'Corvette Yellow' on his brass to most everybody else picking out a specific magic marker color and running it across their brass right before they shot it. Took less than 10 seconds to run the marker across all the heads in one of the plastic reloading boxes everybody seemed to use.

Most of these guys were protective about their brass. Firing powder puff target loads most of them had no idea how many times the cases had been reloaded. 10 or 15 times? Most would shrug and just say 'at least'. When new members showed up that didn't know about the markings somebody would solemnly tell them we had all named all our cases so we could tell them apart and then after a course of fire everybody would softly mutter different names as we picked up our brass.
Old March 5, 2018, 01:21 PM   #30
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehavey
and here's what OSHA did cite "that other range" for:
https://www.osha.gov/ooc/citations/I...82_0608_12.pdf
See p 22 (-- which is a heckuva reach (IMHO) for even OSHA. ),
and p 42 (-- which shows that the employee's sweeping was -- itself -- an OSHA violation.
Correct. And since OSHA only applies to employees, what would be a violation for an employee would be totally beyond OSHA jurisdiction for a customer.

Quote:
BTW: What's described in this citation could be used -- deliberately so -- to shut down 99% of all indoor ranges.
Considering that this was in Illinois and in 2012, my immediate reaction was that the Obama administration really wanted to put this range out of business. When you get to the lead contamination violations, it seems they used the same exposure as the basis for a half dozen separate charges, each with a separate penalty. Talk about piling on!
Old March 6, 2018, 10:41 AM   #31
Mike Irwin
Staff

"He then goes on to start telling me that we are not allowed to pick up our range brass anymore because of some new OSHA regulation and that the other range on the other side of town was just busted with thousand dollar fines going to both the range, the shooter and anyone else that was present for not reporting it. Somehow I do not believe this and believe it to be BS."

Yep, it's BS. Or, an imperfect understanding of OSHA regulations regarding exposing EMPLOYEES, not customers, to lead.

There have been ranges fined in the past cited for knowingly exposing employees to both lead and noise issues (https://www.osha.gov/news/newsreleases/region3/05102016)

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 6, 2018, 01:49 PM   #32
kmw1954

Well folk here's the scoop. Just got back from talking with the GM of the range and he remembered us being there Sunday and even which lanes we were in. So I explained what occurred and he tells me that he is fine with sweeping up our own brass or that of those around us with their permission, just not to go rummaging thru the barrel. And as it turns out the guy does work for them as an instructor and that is his only capacity. He told me he would talk with this guy about it.

So for now the issue has been resolved!
Old March 7, 2018, 06:43 AM   #33
CajunBass

That's pretty much the way it's been at every range I've ever shot at. If it's on the floor, you can sweep it up (squeegee and a dust pan). If your neighbor OK's it you can take theirs too. You just can't rummage through the bucket. Although I have been allowed to do that a time or two. Usually when they remember they dumped some revolver brass in there.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 9, 2018, 08:21 PM   #34
dreaming

I am in California and even with its draconian laws the pistol range I use allows members to pick up there brass. I don't know about non members.