The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 7, 2018, 11:30 PM   #1
MagnumWill

Garand trigger pin walking out with Dupage stock?

Apparently I have experienced an issue that the internet has no knowledge of with my Garand. I just bought it and put a new production Dupage stock on it. It looks marvelous, but when I fired about a dozen rounds through it the gun eventually ground to a halt, and then the sear and hammer locked up to where total disassembly was necessary. The hammer was frozen in the “cocked” position.

When I got home, I took the trigger group out and noticed the trigger pin had hopped out of one side of the trigger housing, and that caused the trigger group to bind. I decided to order a new trigger group (the hammer looked worse for wear, the trigger pin hole mic’ed just a smidge bigger than the replacement one, and matching numbers were available anyway on AmmoGarand).

I also compared the old birch stock to the Dupage stock, and noticed something strange - the slot for the trigger group in the Dupage stock is a full .060” wider than the birch stock, which fits the trigger group perfectly. It appears there’s enough room in the Dupage stock that the trigger pin has the capability of walking out of the housing. I called Dupage and the guy I spoke to is quite skeptical that the stock is discrepant. I’m planning on sending it back and having them look at it.

But my point being, has anyone else run into this with a Dupage stock? Where there’s actually some slop in the trigger guard housing from side to side? Has this ever caused the pin to walk out? It appears the original stock and the birch stock would hold it captive regardless of how tight it was in the housing.
Old March 9, 2018, 11:11 AM   #2
RickB

My Garand has a Boyd stock, Boyd makes Dupage's stocks, and I haven't noticed any issues.
The gap you are talking about is external, visible around the exposed parts of the trigger group?
Is the stock supposed to retain the pin?
Old March 9, 2018, 06:17 PM   #3
MagnumWill

No, it’s internal. The space around the trigger pin is open enough to allow it to hop out of the housing on the other side, binding the trigger and sear when the hammer snags it and won’t let go.

I shot my Garand this morning in our abbreviated High Power match with the birch stock and it ran just fine. I sent the new stock back to Dupage to get their opinion.

If you have a Boyd’s stock, how big is the opening for the trigger housing? Is it only maybe ten thousandths bigger than the housing itself, or is there like .060”+ of space?
Old March 9, 2018, 06:29 PM   #4
RickB

Look at the first pic; which numbered area are you talking about?

http://www.trfindley.com/pgtgfix.html
Old March 9, 2018, 08:23 PM   #5
MagnumWill

Haha, yeah, I found that. The dimension i’m concerned about is #3, the “hardly-never-a-problem” one. It just seems strange that my other two stocks fit the trigger group tight, and this one does not - it doesn’t serve any purpose being so open.

The trigger group sure doesn’t stick, the housing will drop right in. However that pin can do whatever it wants in there and make its way loose, because it’s not mechanically captive laterally by any other means than the stock. If it was a fastener, or had a locking feature it wouldn’t make a difference, but the presence of the older stocks keeps it in place.
Old March 19, 2018, 09:20 PM   #6
MagnumWill

Well, I got the stock back after speaking with John from DT. I sent them the stock as well as my trigger housing, and he was able to furnish a drawing for the trigger pin, and as it turns out the one I had used was undersized enough to break free from the housing, and they offered to replace the pin, even though their stock was to print. I replaced my trigger group with new reparked pins and a more “correct” housing and it shoots wonderfully. If I get another M1 i’m definitely going with them again. So it’s wearing the Dupage stock again, and i’ll take it to the HP match on Friday and see how it does!

It’s great to see it in the walnut again, it really is a stunning piece of wood.
Old March 22, 2018, 07:07 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Now I am confused. That pin should be held in place by the stock and the usual fix for the problem is to simply glue a small piece of walnut into the stock to keep the pin from drifting. In the worst case condition, the housing can be staked adjacent to the pin head, as was often done at the factory.

Jim
Old March 22, 2018, 07:45 PM   #8
agtman

Quote:
Well, I got the stock back after speaking with John from DT. I sent them the stock as well as my trigger housing, and he was able to furnish a drawing for the trigger pin, and as it turns out the one I had used was undersized enough to break free from the housing, and they offered to replace the pin, even though their stock was to print. I replaced my trigger group with new reparked pins and a more “correct” housing and it shoots wonderfully. If I get another M1 i’m definitely going with them again. So it’s wearing the Dupage stock again, and i’ll take it to the HP match on Friday and see how it does!
Good to hear it got fixed properly. Have fun shooting it!
Old March 23, 2018, 11:24 PM   #9
MagnumWill

Oh, i’m still in complete agreement, James. You lose nothing by having the stock fit tight to the housing.

I put three layers of the killer black duct tape (.025-.030ish) right where the pin rides, so as I shoot it I can see if it’s making impressions or moving.

I ran about 60 rounds through it today, and it appears the pin hasn’t moved. Here’s hoping it stays that way...