The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 2, 2019, 06:20 PM   #1
DashingDan

GsG FireFly

What are people's thoughts on this pistol
Old January 2, 2019, 07:20 PM   #2
sigarms228

That used to be called the SIG Mosquito and that had a pretty spotty reputation though many claimed it worked great with CCI Mini Mags. The slide is made of pot metal and not unusual to hear of a cracked slide on one.

Personally I would rather spend a little more money and get a Browning Buckmark, a Ruger .22 pistol, the S&W Victory, or the S&W M&P 22 Compact if it is not too small.
Old January 2, 2019, 07:33 PM   #3
osbornk

I researched them and intended to buy one but they were out of stock at my local Rural King. According to my research, the early Sig Mosquitos had issues but by the time GSG introduced the Firefly, they had been worked out. After I went to Rural King and found them out of stock, I went on-line to find one. While looking, I ran across the slightly more expensive GSG 1911-22 and bought it. When I ordered the 1911-22 at Buds on Thursday night, it was $237. It went to $244 the next morning and about a week later it went to $254 before it dropped down to $249. The delivery from Buds was remarkably fast and smooth. The GSG 1911-22 is one of the most accurate and fun guns I have.
Old January 2, 2019, 08:11 PM   #4
BigMikey76

Haven't tried the Firefly, but my shooting buddy used to have its predecessor, the afore mentioned Sig Mosquito. The couple of times I shot it, I was unimpressed. Way more jams than any gun has a right to produce, even for a semiauto rimfire. It also had a horrendous trigger (never measured the pull, but it had to be 12 lbs or more). He sold it, and has been quite happy with the Ruger SR-22 he bought to replace it.

I have heard the Firefly is better, but not by a wide enough margin to actually be called "good."

Nutnfancy recently put up a review of the Firefly on his YouTube channel. I haven't watched it yet, so I can't speak to what he said, but he usually presents things pretty honestly. Make some popcorn before you watch it, though - he tends to be a bit long winded.

Last edited by BigMikey76; January 2, 2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old January 4, 2019, 08:28 AM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
According to my research, the early Sig Mosquitos had issues but by the time GSG introduced the Firefly, they had been worked out.
My brother has one of the later Sig Mosquitos (gifted to him by a friend who won it).

It's still a piece of junk.

It's only reliable with CCI Mini-Mags (which it admittedly shoots well), and the material quality is abysmal. The Playskool-grade plastic front sight was broken when it came out of the padded box new, if that tells you anything.
Old January 5, 2019, 12:41 AM   #6
DashingDan

I guess I will buy a 22/45 mark iv lite
Old January 5, 2019, 03:59 AM   #7
DaleA

Quote:
The Ruger is VERY MUCH the superior gun. You'll probably be able to shoot the beejeebees out of it and pass it on when you get too old to shoot to someone who will be able to do the same.

Good luck.
Old January 5, 2019, 08:49 AM   #8
RUT

>>What are people's thoughts on this pistol <<

Nothing to see here folks... just a re-badged Mosquito.
Old January 5, 2019, 09:02 AM   #9
Eazyeach

Get the Ruger and don’t look back.
Old January 5, 2019, 12:16 PM   #10
Cornhusker77

I bought one a while back, and I really wanted to like it.
Nice looking, feels good in the hand, but the trigger is terrible.
I shot a few rounds through it when I got it, and haven't messed with it since.
I didn't experience any failures of any kind out of maybe 150 rounds.
Maybe someday I'll dig it out and see if it's any better than I remember.
Maybe it'll smooth out with some use.
Old January 5, 2019, 02:33 PM   #11
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashingDan View Post
I have a 22/45 but I prefer the GSG 1911-22 that I chose rather than the Firefly. The 22/45 is more prone to FTF when it gets dirty than the 1911-22. Also, the GSG 1911-22 is cheaper and looks like a normal 1911 while the 22/45 looks like Ruger product (which I like).
Old January 7, 2019, 04:26 PM   #12
Dubar

I've got a Firefly and it shoots fine WITH the right ammo in it. Mine doesn't like hollow points at all. It's a fun gun to shoot otherwise. I've been using Winchester M22 Black Copper Plated without fail. It runs best using ammo with velocities of 1250 fps or more.

I would post photos but they're all too large to be accepted (and I don't feel like resizing them, sorry).

I also have a GSG 1911/22 which also shoots fine.

The Firefly has a smaller grip than the 1911 and feels comfortable in my hands, but I got use to the 1911 size grip.

Of the two, I'm a better shot with the 1911, not sure why though, maybe the weight of the gun.
Old January 9, 2019, 10:54 PM   #13
DashingDan

I decided on a Buckmark.
Old January 10, 2019, 10:19 AM   #14
Fishbed77

Quote:
I decided on a Buckmark.
Good choice. Either the Buck Mark or Ruger Mark IV are vastly superior to the Firefly/Mosquito in quality.

If you do want a "service-style" pistol similar to the Firefly/Mosquito, the Ruger SR22 is probably the best option available these days (unless you want to hunt for one of the CZ Kadets).
Old January 10, 2019, 12:54 PM   #15
Onward Allusion

If you want something that looks similar, get the Ruger SR22. I would not get the FireFly or Mosquito even though it may be a little less in dollars.
Old January 10, 2019, 04:34 PM   #16
k4swb

I just shot my friend's Fire Fly again Sunday.
It shoots flawlessly, much to my chagrin. I had never really looked at it since I had no intention of ever buying one and even tho every time he shot it, it shot perfectly.

So when I shot a couple of mags through it with no problems, I finally took a really good look at the outside of it.

It looks to be a small version of the Sig P220 in .22lr.

I got the wife's P 220 out and it is so much like it in looks.

The trigger is heavy and this is the only reason I can fault his.

I probably won't buy one and much prefer my Ruger MKII, my SW Victory 22 and the Buckmark but to me it feels better than the Ruger SR22 or the SW MP22.

If I could get the trigger pull down and get slightly better sights on it (although the factory sights are not terrible) I might would change my mind.

He won't let me experiment on his so I will probably never know.
Did a search in a few places and there is little info on trigger jobs or upgrade parts for the FireFly
Old January 12, 2019, 07:27 PM   #17
DashingDan

Now I need to find some grips I like the feel and look of. All the ones I see don't interest me. I saw some that were a textured beautiful blue pair, but don't remember where I saw them. I don't like Grey.
Old January 16, 2019, 08:25 PM   #18
DashingDan

Ended up getting a price adjustment on the Buckmark, so it cost me $253
Old January 19, 2019, 07:01 PM   #19
Excoastie

I bought my wife a Sig Mosquito around November of last year. I then had it cero-coated to make it the purple weapon that she wanted.

I've put about 300-400 rounds through it using Remington Thunderbolt ammo. My preferred .22LR ammo is "cheap". It had a few failed to fires, but nothing too noteworthy.

I actually like it better than my M&P .22LR compact. It just feels better in the hand.

As for the trigger, I can't comment, as I didn't find it too be too bad.

I'd say that the Mosquito is better than it's rep.

Exco
Old January 19, 2019, 07:44 PM   #20
GarandTd

Quote:
Ended up getting a price adjustment on the Buckmark, so it cost me $253.
That's a good deal. Was that a new or used one?
Old January 19, 2019, 09:54 PM   #21
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashingDan View Post
Ended up getting a price adjustment on the Buckmark, so it cost me $253
Sweet deal! Buckmark is a great pistol. Hope you really enjoy shooting it.
Old January 20, 2019, 04:37 AM   #22
tallball

Good choice on the Buck Mark. That is an excellent price. I paid $300 for mine, used, about five years ago. It is probably my most accurate handgun out of many.

I briefly owned a Mosquito. It was trash.

The Buck Mark is a quality pistol. My friend was thinking of getting a 22lr pistol to practice with, and to shoot with his wife and daughters. After he shot my Buck Mark, he bought one for himself within a week.

I have a Smith and Wesson K22 Masterpiece 6", a Ruger Single Six 22lr 6.5", and a Ruger Standard 4". Occasionally the K22 will outshoot the Buck Mark, but on most days the Buck Mark will shoot better than any of the others, and they are all excellent 22lr handguns.